E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 04:04 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Thanks for info, I am planning to do the same conversion, but facing a problem that I am not able to find somebody who can do ECU remaping in UK, as It is may daily car and the only car I have, I am not able to ship my ECU to the same place where you did yours. I am thinking to find somebody who can read my ECU and send only file. I hope I will find a solution.
Good morning arix,
Good to hear. You will definitely enjoy this mod as a means of revitalizing your car and your driving experience. Have you contacted Active Autowerke directly to confirm if they have any type of support network in the UK to perform the ECU re-program? If not shoot Viral an email. His contact information can be found here:

http://www.activeautowerke.com/contactus.php

Let us know how it turns out. Cheers!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Good morning arix,
Good to hear. You will definitely enjoy this mod as a means of revitalizing your car and your driving experience. Have you contacted Active Autowerke directly to confirm if they have any type of support network in the UK to perform the ECU re-program? If not shoot Viral an email. His contact information can be found here:

Hi Georgieb, I have e-mailed Viral yesterday, so will see what he says. Hope we will find a solution.

Cheers
Old 05-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Contributors

Hi Georgieb, I have e-mailed Viral yesterday, so will see what he says. Hope we will find a solution.
Good to hear Arix! Lets find out what he says.

UPS was a no-show today so it looks like I have to wait until Monday for the exhaust to arrive now. Man, I hate delays!
Old 05-27-2011, 02:47 PM
Contributors

A little bit of good news. I checked with Jon at Bimmersport again to ask about taking some pics of the RPI exhaust pipe install only to find out that they also took pics of the 3-stage manifold swap! I dropped by this afternoon and grabbed them on USB. Here they are:

Much thanks Jon!!
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-manifold_09.jpg   Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-manifold_05.jpg   Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-manifold_06.jpg  
Old 05-27-2011, 02:48 PM
Contributors

I'm trying to get Active Autowerke to send me a few decals that I might affix to the Manifold to make everything that much more official....Hear that Viral?
Attached Thumbnails Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-manifold_07.jpg   Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i  - 50+HP Gain!-manifold_08.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 12:02 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now before I begin let me just say that although I am somewhat mechanically inclined, I am certainly not an expert in understanding performance modifications for our E60s nor have I had much experience in this area. I'm just a regular guy who's had extreme mod fever in the last year and am really excited about this performance upgrade just so I can claim to drive alongside the 530s that are out there

What I am in the process of doing with the help of a local BMW shop Bimmersport and the power and performance dudes over at Active Autowerke in Miami, is to complete the conversion of the three stage intake manifold from the e60 530i to the e60 525i. This modification should allow the 525 with the N520B30 3.0L engine to achieve 50hp/40tq gains and should increase power to approximately 265hp and 225 lbft tq. The main differences between the 530i and the 525i are Intake Manifold, Exhaust Resonator, Exhaust Muffler and ECU software. The 525i has provisions for this 3 stage manifold but does not take advantage of this hardware at all. To quote one of our members with whom I discussed this topic last year (Thanks Diamond)...

Considering the cost of the modification (although I'm not yet certain of the final total), the performance to $$$ ratio cannot be beat. It will surely be much less expensive than a supercharger install and yield far better performance results than a BMS Power Box, Sprintbooster V2, or RPI scoop. At the end of the day, I will definitely post Dyno results to substantiate the changes we are making.

Let me also say that we are certainly not reinventing the wheel here. There have been discussions in our very own forums regarding this for some time now https://5series.net/forums/topic/105...1#entry1262524 and I have also been part of these discussions, however to the best of my knowledge non of our members have completed the mod and posted their experience or results in that regard.

In addition, the pioneers of this endeavor seem to have stemmed from our friends over at the e90 forums. e90pilot and issaBMW are members there who provided much of the initial information and detailed explanations of the components, work involved and results. Much of everything I post here in terms of the inception and details of this should be credited to them and others over at the e90 forums. Thanks guys! I'm just following in their footsteps. You can check out forums posts at e90 forums here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=381371 and here http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=372973

So lets move on....
so since i have a 528xi pretty much this can be done for me as well? will most if not all 525 upgrades work for me? because i would love to get up to around the 260hp area ... man i love this forum
Old 05-28-2011, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Welcome to the forums Kingcory21,
Depending on the year of your E60 and engine type (N52B30), you can definitely do this mod however I would recommend that you get in touch with Active Autowerke to confirm they can do the ECU re-coding portion prior to you buying any hardware. Another of our members here did this on his 528 (his alias is 325/528). It may also be worth your time to PM him and ask about his experience.

Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.

Cheers!
Old 05-28-2011, 01:38 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good morning arix,

still waiting for reply from Autowerker
Old 05-28-2011, 01:57 PM
Contributors

still waiting for reply from Autowerker
arix ,
I'll be speaking to Viral on Monday. If you haven't heard from him by then I'll mention that someone from the UK is interested in the ECU re-map and that he should have received an email he should respond to. I'll PM you and let you know.

Cheers.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i

Looks amazing!!!

When are you picking me up for a spin Nigel!?

Congrats

Quick Reply: Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!