E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:53 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

still waiting for reply from Autowerker
Hey arix,
It was a holiday in the US yesterday (Memorial Day) so I was not able to talk with Viral until this morning. I asked him about your correspondence and he found your email and mentioned he would get back to you with certainty today. I hope it works out for you.

Looks amazing!!! When are you picking me up for a spin Nigel!?
Thanks Jon, You're welcome to go for a spin anytime but you have the 530i so I imagine my enhanced performance is just going to feel a lot like your stock performance.

In other news and much to my excitement, I received the RPI exhaust yesterday from UPS and just got done dropping it off at Bimmersport. The install should be completed this evening. I'll give Westport a call today and hopefully setup an appointment to Dyno the car tomorrow. In the interim the car continues to drive well and I have noticed no hiccups in engine performance since the re-map. Its been a very positive experience thus far.
Old 05-31-2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have any idea how much Active Autowerkes would charge in labor for this mod from start to finish? I am local to them and I would just bring them the parts on the parts list you supplied. I emailed them but no reply...
Old 05-31-2011, 08:06 AM
Contributors

Do you have any idea how much Active Autowerkes would charge in labor for this mod from start to finish? I am local to them and I would just bring them the parts on the parts list you supplied. I emailed them but no reply...
medik13,
Not sure if you sent an email to Viral directly but you can try that (viral@activeautowerke.com). Also given that you are from South FL you can try giving him a call directly. He's available most of the time @ 305 233 9300, ext 227.

In talking with him this morning he is still committed to registering with our forums and answering all questions and correspondence related to Active Autowerke directly. Hopefully we see him around here soon.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:26 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by Georgieb
Welcome to the forums Kingcory21,
Depending on the year of your E60 and engine type (N52B30), you can definitely do this mod however I would recommend that you get in touch with Active Autowerke to confirm they can do the ECU re-coding portion prior to you buying any hardware. Another of our members here did this on his 528 (his alias is 325/528). It may also be worth your time to PM him and ask about his experience.

Good luck with this and let us know how it goes.

Cheers!
thanks for the welcome and the info for the other 528 driver i know this is a dumb question but this would almost deff. void my cpo warranty right? hope all goes well with the dyno testing!
Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM
Contributors

thanks for the welcome and the info for the other 528 driver i know this is a dumb question but this would almost deff. void my cpo warranty right? hope all goes well with the dyno testing!
You're welcome kingcory21,
Depending on the BMW dealership you may have some trouble getting them to honor the warranty if they knew that we've altered the ECU code especially since its locked to our Vehicle Order. I have read about a member in the M5 Forums who re-mapped his ECU and his dealer still honored his warranty. It was a Dinan re-map so maybe the dealer took that into consideration. To be honest, I'm just not sure. If I had to guess, I would say a safe rule of thumb is no. I've got an extended manufacturers warranty with BMW on my car, but I did this anyway. I guess I'm a bit nuts that way. I do have the stock firmware and I could theoretically re-program the ECU, but returning the manifold back to stock would be a big pain in the ass.
Old 05-31-2011, 11:38 AM
Members

My Ride: 530i

Which bimmersport?
Check ur pm
Old 05-31-2011, 04:22 PM
Contributors

The RPI GT Exhaust pipe is now installed and sounds awesome! You can hear a deep grumble at idle but not very loudly. Before 3,000 rpm the tone is low but after that it is pure ecstasy. I found myself driving with the windows down just so I could enjoy the difference I was hearing. Somehow even my idle seems smoother than before. I'm not sure if the power I feel is as exclusively a result of the three stage manifold and tune but its almost as if there is even more of it, especially at the high end of the torque range. Maybe because I now have sound to match performance, it leaves the impression that the exhaust is making more torque. Either way, the experience is very satisfying.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't want everyone to hear me coming down the street unless I stomp on the gas and this is exactly what the RPI exhaust system offers, not to mention the tips are way better looking than stock! I'll post some pictures and a video in the coming days but the car is a mess right now and it will rain tomorrow so no washing anything tonight.

I've also got an appointment booked to do the Dyno runs tomorrow morning at 10:00 AM with Westport. We'll finally be able to tell the full story in a few more hours. This has been a great mod and just a very positive experience for me! Definitely the reward was proportional to the time and money invested. The next time you hear from me it will probably be with Dyno results in hand.

Cheers everyone!
Old 05-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Members

My Ride: 530i

Wow. I'm so happy to hear your results and how satisfied you are.
I look forward to seeing the dyno results
Old 05-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Contributors

How nice does the RPI exhaust sound!?!?
Just posted Jon, read above. I'll fire up my iPhone and try to take a video....brb
Old 05-31-2011, 04:49 PM
Contributors

Ok guys, here is a short video (Recorded in 720p). The car is VERY dirty but thankfully this one is more about sound:

Let me know what you think.....

Quick Reply: Three Stage Intake Manifold Conversion for 525i - 50+HP Gain!