E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Stereo shops

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 12:53 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by antnmillie
Ya I will def go down to your shop. This is an upgrade that I've been wanting to do for a while. About 3 years ago the dealer said that something was wrong with my stock amp becuz the drivers speaker doesn't work, a few ppl have told me that I will need to bypass the stock amp with an aftermarket one. Have u seen this b4?

Actually not on an E60 yet. The E64/65 7 series cars are having all kinds of amplifier/door speaker issues that usually are related to the left or right side of the car speakers going out. Those cars get water leaking on the factory amp in trunk which can cause problems. In the E60 I have only seen a couple guys with a blown / torn factory under seat woofer. It is easy for me to check your speakers and amplifier to verify the problem, let me know.

As per the MS8 upgrade I like it. One of my customers took 1st place in sound quality competition using the MS8 ( not in an E60 ). It would be most effective with a coaxial center channel like the individual audio center channel ( logic 7 center channel has no tweeter but I would be happy to sell you a used one ). It is a mild amplifier upgrade so pairing it with amplifiers is really the whole solution that is usually recommended. The MS8 is about 20 watts x 8 channels... 100 x 8 would be some power

*For all the guys out there thinking about the MS8 I will mention there is one issue to be aware of before buying, especially before buying a used one private party. There is a software glitch with the MS8 that seems to be unresolved. Read more about it here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ease-read.html and here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684103 Basically the issue is that many of the units ( or all of them? ) can go into what is called jet engine noise mode and blow all the speakers in the system. Mainly seems to be happening to guys that are tuning and re-tuning their cars with and especially dangerous for the guys using the MS8 with powerful amps and no crossovers to protect the speakers.
Old 08-08-2012, 01:02 PM
Members

My Ride: I HAVE A 2004 530I MOSTLY STOCK EXCEPT FOR 22IN ASANTI AF128 BLACK, I HAVE A 6 SPPED MANUAL TRANS. IT ALSO HAS DOOR CURTAINS WHICH I LIKE ALOT. NAVI. I HOPE TO CHANGE MY SEATS TO COMFORT SOON.

Originally Posted by methodsound
Actually not on an E60 yet. The E64/65 7 series cars are having all kinds of amplifier/door speaker issues that usually are related to the left or right side of the car speakers going out. Those cars get water leaking on the factory amp in trunk which can cause problems. In the E60 I have only seen a couple guys with a blown / torn factory under seat woofer. It is easy for me to check your speakers and amplifier to verify the problem, let me know.

As per the MS8 upgrade I like it. One of my customers took 1st place in sound quality competition using the MS8 ( not in an E60 ). It would be most effective with a coaxial center channel like the individual audio center channel ( logic 7 center channel has no tweeter but I would be happy to sell you a used one ). It is a mild amplifier upgrade so pairing it with amplifiers is really the whole solution that is usually recommended. The MS8 is about 20 watts x 8 channels... 100 x 8 would be some power

*For all the guys out there thinking about the MS8 I will mention there is one issue to be aware of before buying, especially before buying a used one private party. There is a software glitch with the MS8 that seems to be unresolved. Read more about it here: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ease-read.html and here: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684103 Basically the issue is that many of the units ( or all of them? ) can go into what is called jet engine noise mode and blow all the speakers in the system. Mainly seems to be happening to guys that are tuning and re-tuning their cars with and especially dangerous for the guys using the MS8 with powerful amps and no crossovers to protect the speakers.
Cool I will try to go down to your shop this weekend so u can look at it and we can see what will be right for me. What are ur hours on fri/sat?
Old 08-08-2012, 01:10 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by methodsound

Holy crap! Haven't heard of that and hopefully will never experience it. Thanks for the heads up!. I've setup all the listening positions fine so far. And yes, I definately agree about the Center speaker. I'm trying to find a suitable coaxial one that fits but can't find any. Vibe Slick 4 is discontinued, DLS 424 is only sold in pairs...Hey OP, I would go halfsies with you on the DLS 424.
Old 08-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 545i sport, stick, L7, sat, nav. Charcoal/ runflat/ cdv delete. Suede headliner/ trunk, 3 way front speakers, four 8" subs in rear shelf, ACM, iPod dock in ash tray using gateway 500 with MP3 text and video on screen, MRTM aluminum pedals/ door pins, 10 farad cap, sound processor, line conditioner, 2 amps ( 4x100 and 2x200)

Originally Posted by balbs
Holy crap! Haven't heard of that and hopefully will never experience it. Thanks for the heads up!. I've setup all the listening positions fine so far. And yes, I definately agree about the Center speaker. I'm trying to find a suitable coaxial one that fits but can't find any. Vibe Slick 4 is discontinued, DLS 424 is only sold in pairs...Hey OP, I would go halfsies with you on the DLS 424.

I have not tried the DLS, but would try it if the price is right. It looks like it would work.

Here is the Individual Audio speaker. Get the screws and threaded clips also. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...41&hg=65&fg=20

The Individual Audio speaker has a kevlar cone and a silk/fabric tweeter. It was designed for the Dirac system, which has 90 watts on that center channel.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Sweet thanks! The DLS 424 is about $112 a pair on eBay. At least I think it's a pair. I'll check on a used pricing for the 65137838915.
Old 08-08-2012, 05:15 PM
Contributors

Another option I was looking at is from bavariansoundwerks. However what turned me off about them is that they use paper cones. I'm no audio guy, but last I heard paper is not the best for speakers. Unless technology totally improved on paper, I don't know.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

Honestly....you can just get Technic's harness for 80 bucks and throw a sub in your trunk then turn the bass all the way down on your stock system. Its what I did and it bumps like crazy.

This is the easy way out and probably the cheapest since you can do the install yourself in 10 mins.