E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

SPRINT BOOSTER.....hhmmmmmm????

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 03:35 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

RC1818, thank you for the review and sharing your experience. I'm with you, and I don't like the obviously lag there is with the throttle, but I'm not sure if I want the car to redline everytime it shifts gears either. The SB obviously does a good job at eliminating the throttle delay based on other users reviews, but it seems like it creates another problem with altering the shift points to where it holds the gears too long. I wonder if this is a problem unique to e60 owners with automatic transmissions.

If you have an automatic with the SB installed, please share your experiences. Does it really shift at or near redline EVERYTIME?
Old 11-25-2008, 12:35 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 520d - 1995cc-177bhp, Business audio, Adaptive Xenons, ACS Roof & Trunk Spoilers, M6 Kidney Grill, ///M Badging, Carbon Fibre Door Lock Pins, ///M Wheel hub caps,

Originally Posted by siu0410' post='729439' date='Nov 24 2008, 08:25 AM
Its a gas guzzler mod if u decide not to adjust your footwork

+1

this is very true. the SB is NOT a gas guzzler at all if u decide to adjust your footwork and run the accelerator pedal as much as u need.

If u can get the effect of flooring a pedal (without S in half way through the pedal(with sb) and if u still decide u just want to keep flooring the pedal, then its a gas guzzler.

For me, on my 520D, its exactly the SAME or MORE mileage i am getting out of it.

without the SB my mileage was around 7.5 km/lt, and now i am getting around 8km/lt.

so its definately between SAME to MORE.

Driving it a few days will get ur foot adjusted to how much it should press the accelerator to have a smooth drive.
Old 11-25-2008, 12:48 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i Silver Metallic w/Sport Automatic Transmission, Ventilated Comfort Seats in Beige Nasca Leather, Light Poplar Trim, NAV, HUD, Active Steering, Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Logic 7, Blue tooth Hands Free, Dynamic Stability, Soft Close. Mods: RPI Exhaust, Scoop + FIlter, License plate LED lights

doesn't anyone having a Auto transmission have SB installed? We need some info about the SB in auto!!
Old 11-25-2008, 01:40 AM
Members

Originally Posted by irony' post='730817' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:48 AM
doesn't anyone having a Auto transmission have SB installed? We need some info about the SB in auto!!
I have auto and sb, what would you like to know ?

The car certainly doesnt redline for every gear shift with mine, really is down to throttle position, i found that when the sb was 1st fitted it was a lot more touchy than it is now but im sure the gbox just learns how to make the best of the new responsivness, small throttle openings= low normal shifts, increasing throttle opening moves the shift point up, as it should. DS certainly moves the shift points up regardless off throttle position.
As has been said, if youve got a heavy right foot then it could take some getting used to.
For me the effect the sb gives is superb, youve just got to learn to control your right foot . With big torque the effect of pushing the throttle with sb when the cars just shifted to 2nd or 3rd is priceless for a 4 door saloon.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i

I wish mine would hurry up and get here already
Old 11-25-2008, 05:02 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Rob Hall' post='730832' date='Nov 25 2008, 10:40 AM
I have auto and sb, what would you like to know ?

The car certainly doesnt redline for every gear shift with mine, really is down to throttle position, i found that when the sb was 1st fitted it was a lot more touchy than it is now but im sure the gbox just learns how to make the best of the new responsivness, small throttle openings= low normal shifts, increasing throttle opening moves the shift point up, as it should. DS certainly moves the shift points up regardless off throttle position.
As has been said, if youve got a heavy right foot then it could take some getting used to.
For me the effect the sb gives is superb, youve just got to learn to control your right foot . With big torque the effect of pushing the throttle with sb when the cars just shifted to 2nd or 3rd is priceless for a 4 door saloon.
Does it makes the car change gear more often i.e. does it tend to drop a gear if you want to accelerate fairly swiftly with the SB installed rather than holding a gear and using the torque? I also have a 2004 530D and I'm worried that rather than using the torque and staying in the same gear it will be forever dropping gears at the slightest touch of the throttle.
Did it eliminate the throttle lag? I notice this the most from standstill i.e. off the brake and onto the throttle sometimes takes a while to get moving. Can be quite scary pulling out into traffic. You expect the car to go and it doesn't at first and then lights up the rear tyres!

You don't live in or near Kent do you? Would love to see what it's like with the SB fitted before taking the plunge.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 silver gray metallic 530i with sport package, premium package, cold weather package, navigation, and L-7 audio.

"...the gbox just learns how to make the best of the new responsivness, small throttle openings= low normal shifts, increasing throttle opening moves the shift point up, as it should."

So, just to confirm, it DOES NOT redline for every shift of the gears, right? I wonder if there is a learning curve associated with the computers and various electronics in the car that takes time to adjust when the new SB is installed........

Thank you for your input. I would like to hear from some other automatic transmission SB users regarding the shift points? Did the SB change or maybe break-in after a while of driving, or maybe did you (as the driver) adjust to the SB install and unknowingly begin to change the way you drive? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:20 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 525i

Originally Posted by dl5series' post='730929' date='Nov 25 2008, 09:15 AM
Thank you for your input. I would like to hear from some other automatic transmission SB users regarding the shift points? Did the SB change or maybe break-in after a while of driving, or maybe did you (as the driver) adjust to the SB install and unknowingly begin to change the way you drive? Thanks in advance.
I plan on performing this ( http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40018 ) again once my SB arrives and installed. That aforementioned thread is worth reading up on.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:58 AM
Members

Originally Posted by smarty156' post='730876' date='Nov 25 2008, 02:02 PM
Does it makes the car change gear more often i.e. does it tend to drop a gear if you want to accelerate fairly swiftly with the SB installed rather than holding a gear and using the torque? I also have a 2004 530D and I'm worried that rather than using the torque and staying in the same gear it will be forever dropping gears at the slightest touch of the throttle.
Did it eliminate the throttle lag? I notice this the most from standstill i.e. off the brake and onto the throttle sometimes takes a while to get moving. Can be quite scary pulling out into traffic. You expect the car to go and it doesn't at first and then lights up the rear tyres!

You don't live in or near Kent do you? Would love to see what it's like with the SB fitted before taking the plunge.

I think the car only drops a gear if required as it would pre sb it just happens quicker/without lag. ie. pre sb you press pedal, the car thinks about it and drops a cog with sb its instant so maybe you think its changing gears more but i dont think it is for regular driving, but maybe it could give the impression it is.
There is still some standstill to go lag, although i found it reduced, otherwise i would say there is no lag by turbo motor standards.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:14 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dl5series' post='730929' date='Nov 25 2008, 03:15 PM
"...the gbox just learns how to make the best of the new responsivness, small throttle openings= low normal shifts, increasing throttle opening moves the shift point up, as it should."

So, just to confirm, it DOES NOT redline for every shift of the gears, right? I wonder if there is a learning curve associated with the computers and various electronics in the car that takes time to adjust when the new SB is installed........

Mine certainly doesnt redline with regular driving and if it did the sb wouldnt be for me. Im sure the gbox learns as it would pre sb and although you do get used to it that the effects of sb do calm down a little with the gbox learning process.

When i get a little time i do intend to take it off to see what it was like pre sb as im starting to forget, but judging by others that have done this it will soon be back on again.

I did get the increased emissions warning when i first connected the sb but that cleared itself after a few miles.

Imo the 30 sec gbox reset is essential when the sb is 1st fitted.

Quick Reply: SPRINT BOOSTER.....hhmmmmmm????