E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 09' 525i M Sport Alpine White 19" 172 Alloys Logic 7 USB Sun Protection Glass Lumbar Support SAT (Sports Auto Transmission)

Alternativly you could just do the hardware swap and not bother with getting it coded, I did just the hardware swap and have no plans to get it coded and can live without paddles. Its very easy to change the shifters, 20 mins max.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:54 AM
Members

Found a picture of what I'm referring to.
Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-non-standard-auto.jpg

So to clarify:
Can you change from that to the steptronic/electronic shifter?
IF you can, can you only do that on LCI E60's?

If I could it would be great as I haven't baught one yet and could then retro-fit everything myself.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by poot1873
Alternativly you could just do the hardware swap and not bother with getting it coded, I did just the hardware swap and have no plans to get it coded and can live without paddles. Its very easy to change the shifters, 20 mins max.

I endorse that view. Super simple to do the swap; instant gratification and most definetely not worth the hassle and many trips back and forth to the dealer to get the last 2 percent from an expensive coding that any dealer is bound to cockup again and again
Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

Originally Posted by alex_r
Found a picture of what I'm referring to.
Attachment 105588

So to clarify:
Can you change from that to the steptronic/electronic shifter?
IF you can, can you only do that on LCI E60's?

If I could it would be great as I haven't baught one yet and could then retro-fit everything myself.
What you show here is definetely pre-LCI; this entire thread deals with LCI. I haven't seen any other thread where anyone with a pre-LCI did a successful swap; I don't believe SAT even came as a factory option in the pre-LCI time. I believe the transmission you are seeing here is a 5-speed with slower shiftspeeds than the standard 6-speed autobox in an LCI so using an LCI SAT meant for a 6 speed LCI is most likely apples and oranges.
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 AM
Members

That is a 6speed pre-LCI. SAT wasn't an option at that time which is why im trying to work out if it is possible to change that transmission to the electronic one.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:16 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by alex_r
That is a 6speed pre-LCI. SAT wasn't an option at that time which is why im trying to work out if it is possible to change that transmission to the electronic one.
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to go with no. Pre-LCI was a mechanical linkage vs. the electronic one in the LCI models. Although "anything" is possible with enough time and money, you'd be better off spending the money on upgrading to an LCI model in the first place - preferrably with SAT installed.

Alternately, you can get paddles working on a pre-LCI model relatively easier than LCI models (no SAT functionality though) -- there is another thread here on the board on this topic.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:38 PM
Members

I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

and it feels soooooooooooo good! lag is gone !!!! steering wheel is heavier !!! Looks great!!! i will not need to get a sprint booster or else.

The difficulty was to remove the ECU and to put the new one in...that was a pain in the butt. Also there is a couple of more steps to add (unlocking ECU with key and do not forget to unplug ECU before pulling...lol)

Also if you are like me (fat fingers) get a magnet for the screws that you are going to drop (I had to remove battery to get one of them! lol)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:49 AM
Members

So on a post-LCI model you can do convert to SAT even with transmission similar to that in the picture? All clear now. Thanks for help.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:19 PM
Members

Originally Posted by rolly888
I did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

and it feels soooooooooooo good! lag is gone !!!! steering wheel is heavier !!! Looks great!!! i will not need to get a sprint booster or else.

The difficulty was to remove the ECU and to put the new one in...that was a pain in the butt. Also there is a couple of more steps to add (unlocking ECU with key and do not forget to unplug ECU before pulling...lol)

Also if you are like me (fat fingers) get a magnet for the screws that you are going to drop (I had to remove battery to get one of them! lol)
I forgot to say that now the rpm goes up to 7000 (end of red zone)...sweeet (I am just back from playing in the canyons)
Old 05-17-2010, 10:09 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Ok gang... as promised, parts and steps to retrofit sport-auto transmission to my 08 550 M-sport:

Parts: (note: RHD vehicles will have slightly different parts - confirm everything with your dealer/indy shop)
  • 32-34-2-283-949 M Steering Wheel (NOTE: This one is heated, as I also retrofitted the heated wheel option)
  • 61-31-9-115-638 Paddle shift lever L
  • 61-31-9-116-317 Paddle shift lever R
  • 61-31-6-976-397 Wiring set (for paddles to SZL)
  • 61-31-9-204-093 Shiftbox Gear-selector
  • 61-31-9-208-271 Handle (lever for gear selector)
  • 61-31-9-142-869 Sport button
  • 51-16-6-960-879 Cover - gear selector (trim piece to accomodate shifter/sport button)

If, after pricing out all of the above you aren't running as fast as possible away from this retrofit, the following general procedure for putting it all together:
  1. Program car to latest level
  2. Install steering wheel, paddle shifters and wiring to SZL
  3. Install GWS shifter with sport button
  4. Install single wire into pin 12 on SZL connector and run to ground
  5. Install single wire into pin 13 on SZL and run to connector x6031 in ebox to pin 11 (red/white wire)
  6. Adapt correct vehicle order with programming (ie. you need to have obtained an updated vehicle order that indicates your vehicle has the SAT and paddle shifter options, and removes the standard auto trans)
  7. Clear faults and test

Wow... for all the challenges it took to get through this the first time, that all looks pretty simple - right? As previously mentioned, this is not a DIY -- you need to get a revised vehicle order and programming to get the paddles up and working properly, which probably means a dealer or a well-connected indy shop.

Finally, a cover-my-butt statement: It goes without mention that if you do attempt this retrofit, confirm everything with your dealer/shop - don't rely on me as the authoritative source. You take sole responsibility for any damage caused mucking about with your own vehicle.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit