E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 06:42 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission

Originally Posted by BW535xiT
Has your SA pulled a rabbit and solved your SAT wowes yet? I have a list of parts and am awaiting word of a successful install with a list of potential gotchas before making my case to the dealer for a retrofit.

Alles Beste!
The car is in the shop and scheduled to get back to me today. Given that we had everything else working (heated wheel, etc.), the programming was accepted in our last go-round and the specific issue we were encountering was exactly what was listed in the SIB (and we know the previous wiring run was the incorrect 2-wire run), we're 99% confident it will all work.

Oh cr*p! (looks for wood to knock on...) I forgot the cardinal rule!! Never count on a mod to work until its done...
Old 05-05-2010, 10:42 AM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 E61 535xiT Black on Black

Originally Posted by Wpg550
The car is in the shop and scheduled to get back to me today. Given that we had everything else working (heated wheel, etc.), the programming was accepted in our last go-round and the specific issue we were encountering was exactly what was listed in the SIB (and we know the previous wiring run was the incorrect 2-wire run), we're 99% confident it will all work.

Oh cr*p! (looks for wood to knock on...) I forgot the cardinal rule!! Never count on a mod to work until its done...

My fingers are crossed for you buddy. Here's to the intestinal fortitude of pioneers such as yourself!
Attached Thumbnails Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit-wheaties1a.jpg  
Old 05-05-2010, 10:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 550i M-sport, retrofitted heated M-sport steering wheel with paddles, Sport-auto transmission
Talking

SUCCESS!!

Well... as a fitting end to this fantastic thread I just drove home from the dealer with fully functioning paddle-shifters and SAT retrofitted into my 2008 550i. Even better (at least temporarily) is that I haven't had to pay the bill yet - we're going to work that out tomorrow when I pick up my X3 after servicing.

Once I have the final bill in hand I will post the final part #'s and a short write-up on what needs to be done from a dealer/programming perspective to get this retrofit done. At the end of the day, I have a fantastic SA to thank -- as even the SIB wiring posted earlier in this thread wasn't quite correct. He figured out the final wiring need to get the paddles working based on a combination of the SIB and older wiring diagrams (and a healthy dose of electronics 101 common sense), and will e-mail me the details to me to share with the forum.

NavarroOne - the SA also explained that the paddle-shifters and SAT are separate options on the vehicle order, so all you likely needed to do was to get a VO with the SAT but without the paddle shifters -- then your setup would have worked.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and huge thanks to the crew at Birchwood BMW here in Winnipeg for seeing this retrofit through to a successful conclusion!! As far as I know, this is the first-ever retrofit of SAT with paddles...
Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM
Members

My Ride: 09' 525i M Sport Alpine White 19" 172 Alloys Logic 7 USB Sun Protection Glass Lumbar Support SAT (Sports Auto Transmission)

Congrats m8, i'd love paddles on my 525i, but dont fancy my local garage doing the job.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Members

SUCCESS!!

Well... as a fitting end to this fantastic thread I just drove home from the dealer with fully functioning paddle-shifters and SAT retrofitted into my 2008 550i. Even better (at least temporarily) is that I haven't had to pay the bill yet - we're going to work that out tomorrow when I pick up my X3 after servicing.

Once I have the final bill in hand I will post the final part #'s and a short write-up on what needs to be done from a dealer/programming perspective to get this retrofit done. At the end of the day, I have a fantastic SA to thank -- as even the SIB wiring posted earlier in this thread wasn't quite correct. He figured out the final wiring need to get the paddles working based on a combination of the SIB and older wiring diagrams (and a healthy dose of electronics 101 common sense), and will e-mail me the details to me to share with the forum.

NavarroOne - the SA also explained that the paddle-shifters and SAT are separate options on the vehicle order, so all you likely needed to do was to get a VO with the SAT but without the paddle shifters -- then your setup would have worked.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, and huge thanks to the crew at Birchwood BMW here in Winnipeg for seeing this retrofit through to a successful conclusion!! As far as I know, this is the first-ever retrofit of SAT with paddles...

great job ....now iam thinking paddles paddles mmmmmm yummy padddles
Old 05-05-2010, 09:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E61 535d carbon black m-kit panoramaroof with beige nasca interior and wood trim. 172m rims. DimSport Race, SB, SAT

SUCCESS!!

Warm congratulations mate, very glad to hear it has all worked out. Thanks for your meticulous sharing on this forum, very valuable.

My mechanic is ill so my appointment has been changed to next monday. Any way your super mechanic might actually work out which VO is needed without the paddles?

Brgds
Old 05-11-2010, 03:06 AM
Members

Could you just clarify this would work on any E60 BMW post-CLI? e.g a 520d or 525d? obviously with automatic transmission anyway?

could you also clarify whether this could replace the automatic transmission in a car without SAT?

Congratulations on a great mod, and a great series of write-ups.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:15 AM
Members

Originally Posted by alex_r
Could you just clarify this would work on any E60 BMW post-CLI? e.g a 520d or 525d? obviously with automatic transmission anyway?
Well, I don't think I'm qualified to confirm it would work on any LCI E60 - but I can confirm it worked on mine, and my '08 550i was a very early LCI build (March 2007 - even before you could order the SAT option from the factory). Based on this, I believe it would work on any LCI E60 (ie. any E60 with the electronic "remote control" gear selector switch.)

could you also clarify whether this could replace the automatic transmission in a car without SAT?
Not exactly sure of the question, but will have a go at an answer in any case... you are not replacing the mechanical auto transmission in the vehicle - it's the same 6-speed auto transmission you had before. The mod only replaces the electronic control unit for gear selection and transmitting info to the transmission control unit, which adds a couple of additional software controlled "modes" to the operate the transmission -- specifically the "sport" modes which have faster shifting and rev-matching on downshifts. The mod also allows the addition/use of paddle shifters to control the "manual" mode of shifting on the auto trans.

I'm still waiting on the final parts list and write-up of the correct wiring for the paddles to make everything work, and will post everything up once I have the information in hand.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Members

thanks for quick response. I am interested in buying a 520/525d, and my dad has a 09 plate which has the SAT and for me this is a feature I definitely want, but want to make sure I can have this if I were to buy an older model with the "standard" automatic transmission. hope that clarifies the question a bit better?
Old 05-12-2010, 07:08 AM
Members

thanks for quick response. I am interested in buying a 520/525d, and my dad has a 09 plate which has the SAT and for me this is a feature I definitely want, but want to make sure I can have this if I were to buy an older model with the "standard" automatic transmission. hope that clarifies the question a bit better?
Two things... it has to be an LCI model with the electronic gear selector (looks like a remote control), and you will need to make sure you have a dealer that will work with you on the retrofit. One of the biggest hurdles in the mod is that BMW does not consider this a "retrofit" - meaning there is no menu option on the dealer's computer that can automatically make the changes required to correctly program the vehicle after the change. Now I'm not a technical expert, but my understanding is that the dealer needs to request a new "vehicle order" which basically tells the computer what (factory) options were included in your car based on the VIN. Obviously, changes need to be made to the VO to a) remove the standard auto trans option; b) add sport auto trans; c) add paddle shifters should you make this change also; and d) add heated wheel if you add this as well. Without the modified VO, the computer will fail attempting to program the vehicle as it will encounter electronic modules that don't match the expected options for your car.

Once I get the wiring instructions and details from my SA, you can take that with you to a dealer to discuss. You might even discuss the changes as part of the purchase transaction (if it's at a dealer) which may reduce the costs.

Quick Reply: Sportautomatic (SAT) retrofit