E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Should I get Sirius Satellite Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

My thought would be to send it just a little faster than the consumption. Then, the longer you stay tuned to a station, the more seconds of buffer you build (to the physical limit of buffer memory.)

Wouldn't that work?
Old 08-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

okay... so ..if anyone in california...pref socal..has any exp with sirius sat setup...would like to hear your comments...as i have read there is that problem with drop offs... i just cant stand what is being played on air with just regular radio... no variety..i was debating on sat or ipod... but looks like the sat would be more benificial to me anly becuz i can just burn songs o a disk and play it... anyways.... thanks for your reply... fyi..... love th site ..think im addicted... and love my car... eric d
Old 08-17-2005, 09:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 17 2005, 10:29 AM
My thought would be to send it just a little faster than the consumption.? Then, the longer you stay tuned to a station, the more seconds of buffer you build (to the physical limit of buffer memory.)

Wouldn't that work?
[snapback]160249[/snapback]

I understand. What I'm implying with the FEC comment is that a good portion (perhaps all the "spare" bandwidth that would be required to fill a buffer) is likely being used to combat bit errors. I'm not sure if there would be enough bandwidth left to protect against a complete lack of signal for any relevant period of time. I'd be interested in seeing any hard data though if someone has it.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Ahh - this is interesting news...

http://www.digitalfountain.com/company/pre...Item.cfm?uid=54

I know these guys - I had some alpha and beta code of their's in my lab in the 2000-2001 timeframe (for use on AS704 - our IP Multicast overlay) Luby's codecs are pretty revolutionary. If anyone can skin this particular cat it's Digital Fountain. I'll have to call them to see what this will mean for Sirius users.

Old 08-17-2005, 02:13 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Have it. Love it. Not perfect, but very good. I think the sound is CD quality in my premium stereo. Some drop out due to tunnels & heavily forested roads here. I really like the selection, and lack of commercials makes it infinitely better than FM radio. Best of all, I can get the station signals from anywhere in the state (my state has few large cities which results in few radio stations while traveling).

I signed up on sirius.com last week. I got three months free with a two year contract. They also were offering one month free w/ a one year contract.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 Mystic Blue 530i, beige/poplar wood interior, steptronic transmission, prem, sport, & sound pkgs, comfort seats, pdc, all weather mats, red reflectors, NAV, ACC, HUD, satellite radio, heated rear seats, rear sunshade, cold weather pkg, active steering

I like Sirius because of the selection. It's also nice because you can use your account to listen on-line. Not sure I will keep it after the trial period though. Depends on whether MP3 playback becomes reality.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I must like it, I have three or is it four subscriptions. Home, Truck, 6er and Pacific Northwest (Mukilteo) for my mother (well really so I do not have to go without).

Listening right now as I surf E60.net - Horizons (world music channel)
Old 08-18-2005, 09:10 AM
Members

My two cents...

If you have Logic 7, you will feel that the sound quality of Sirius stinks. You just can't do justice to the Logic 7 system with such a compressed signal coming in. I am by no means an audiophile, but I find the poor sound quality obvious and quite distracting. CD is much, much better.

However, you just can't beat the selection and variety that satellite radio offers. Even despite what I wrote in the last paragraph, I listen to Sirius 90% of the time I am in my car. No fooling with the Ipod, no changing CDs, just tons of music, sports, news, etc whenever you want it.

Overall, I would go with Sirius with the understanding that the sound quality is disappointing but is made up for with variety.
Old 08-18-2005, 10:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i

Originally Posted by sleepdoc' date='Aug 18 2005, 10:10 AM
My two cents...

If you have Logic 7, you will feel that the sound quality of Sirius stinks.? You just can't do justice to the Logic 7 system with such a compressed signal coming in.? I am by no means an audiophile, but I find the poor sound quality obvious and quite distracting.? CD is much, much better.

However, you just can't beat the selection and variety that satellite radio offers.? Even despite what I wrote in the last paragraph, I listen to Sirius 90% of the time I am in my car.? No fooling with the Ipod, no changing CDs, just tons of music, sports, news, etc whenever you want it.?

Overall, I would go with Sirius with the understanding that the sound quality is disappointing but is made up for with variety.
[snapback]160692[/snapback]
Hmm. I have Logic 7, and think Sirius sounds excellent. Maybe I'm just an easy cat to please.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:17 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Titanium Silver/Black/Poplar: Steptronic, Sport, Cold Weather, Premium Sound, Comfort Seats, Sat Radio, NAV & Shades

I love Sirius. As someone who records and masters music as a hobby I can tell the sound quality is obviously not quite like a CD, but the selection is great. I couldn't go without i tnow as I listen to it alot. Area 63!!! and Howard Stern soon!!

Quick Reply: Should I get Sirius Satellite Radio?