E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Should I get Sirius Satellite Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 03:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You might want to have your unit checked out. Maybe the antenna isn't properly connected?

I rarely have dropouts and in the places I do, my XM car drops out there as well...
Old 06-24-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Jun 24 2005, 05:07 PM
Just to chime in on the dropout issue. Sirius is borderline unacceptable in my area - Raleigh/Durham, NC. The trees are the problem but so are 1/3 overpasses. Also near the airport for a mile on the interstate there are dropouts. I will not renew even though I paid a lot for the module. It is no fun to have the music just completely drop out when you are listening at high volumes.

No question - my most regretted option. I've listened and liked it but as I think about it, I haven't listened once in the last 2 weeks because the dropouts are so annoying.

Does anyone else have this problem? I am considering going short on Sirius stock because I expect it to tank as people realize this annoying behavior.
[snapback]142869[/snapback]
Very few drop outs for me. Can u compare to someones aftermarket system in your area. Have u spoken to folks at a Best Buy or Circuit City or other sales location. See if u can get them to let u test an after market system with external antenna to get a comparison.

I have three systems with only the 6er an OEM. All perform so closely as to not able to tell the difference. Only at home under heavy cover of Oaks do I have drop outs.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:38 PM
Contributors

That would definately be a frustrating experience. My wife and I both have Sirius in our cars and have been extremely happy with the service. We are located in Indianapolis. I never experience any drops because of trees and only experience very brief drops when passing under wide overpasses.

All that said, I did rent a car last year that had XM Satellite. I drive back and forth to Chicago quite frequently. The XM was dropping so often that I just turned the XM off. My Sirius is absolutely fine on the same route.

I wonder if the coverages differ by region between Sirius and XM?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by adwebinc' date='Jun 24 2005, 10:38 PM
That would definately be a frustrating experience. ? My wife and I both have Sirius in our cars and have been extremely happy with the service.? We are located in Indianapolis.? I never experience any drops because of trees and only experience very brief drops when passing under wide overpasses.

All that said, I did rent a car last year that had XM Satellite.? I drive back and forth to Chicago quite frequently.? The XM was dropping so often that I just turned the XM off.? My Sirius is absolutely fine on the same route.

I wonder if the coverages differ by region between Sirius and XM?
[snapback]142923[/snapback]
Take a look at the Satellite coverage maps in post #25. Satellite radio, just like satellite TV, is a Line of Sight (LOS) system. Any off angle starts to degrade signal, any obstructions, including heavy weather, attenuate the signal often to the point of a drop out. Looking at the map, some folks would have lower elevation angles to the satellites compared to others. Generally lower elevation angles cause more things to become obstructions and more directional impact. Higher elevation is better.

Being both a both a Sat Radio and Sat TV (including foreign satellite) home user I see all kinds of situations. They tend to be similar, but the basic satellites are 120 degrees apart (TV & Radio) so there are times TV is good and radio is not during Florida thunderstorms and vice versa.
Old 06-26-2005, 03:59 PM
Members

My Ride: Tit silver 545 with Steptronic and just about every option availabe to woman.

Yes, get Sirius, it's a great service. Just promise to try and listen to a few other things in addition to your mind numbing hip-hop. Try some real music, like classical instruments or 80's rock

With Love
Mistress BMW
Old 08-16-2005, 08:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

interested in the setup.. can anyone post pics of the reciever... and for those in so cal.... how much is the unit and is it possible to transfer the reciever to another car??? i do have sat prep... whatever that means... any info would help thanks eric d
Old 08-17-2005, 03:08 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ericdbs' date='Aug 16 2005, 10:24 PM
interested in the setup.. can anyone post pics of the reciever... and for those in so cal.... how much is the unit and is it possible to transfer? the reciever to another car??? i do have sat prep... whatever that means...? any info? would help thanks eric d
[snapback]160123[/snapback]
There is nothing visual about satellite radio to take pics of. Just a display on the idrive screen. So cal is probably fine but I am dropping my Sirius after my first free year because of terrible reception - dealer says that it is fine - but I drop out with trees, overpasses, and in some places for no reasons at all.

I almost never listen to my satellite anymore because of these issues.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:30 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by 300TTto545' date='Aug 17 2005, 07:08 AM
[quote name='ericdbs' date='Aug 16 2005, 10:24 PM']interested in the setup.. can anyone post pics of the reciever... and for those in so cal.... how much is the unit and is it possible to transfer? the reciever to another car??? i do have sat prep... whatever that means...? any info? would help thanks eric d
[snapback]160123[/snapback]
There is nothing visual about satellite radio to take pics of. Just a display on the idrive screen. So cal is probably fine but I am dropping my Sirius after my first free year because of terrible reception - dealer says that it is fine - but I drop out with trees, overpasses, and in some places for no reasons at all.

I almost never listen to my satellite anymore because of these issues.
[snapback]160183[/snapback]
[/quote]
Have u ever compared with another user of Sirius in your area? Could be u have real problem with antenna/connection. Or r u in heavily wooded areas all the time. It is a LOS system afterall, just like Sat TV. That is unless ur in one of the large cities that use repeaters due to such tall buildings. Still LOS but from other angles, not the satellite. But they do need to improve the "skip" tolerance to tens of seconds so it could be useable going through short tunnels, large overpasses and light trees, I agree.
Old 08-17-2005, 06:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I agree with cobradav that they should increase the buffer to allow more tolerance to dropped signals. As long as they can receive data faster than the stream uses it up to play the audio, I don't know why they don't build in a significant size buffer to prevent the dropouts...
Old 08-17-2005, 07:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i Sport Silver Gray - Black Leather - Anthracite Maple Manual Transmission Premium Audio Cold Weather Package Rear sunshade Sirius Radio Autobahnd Roadblock (3M) film kit

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 17 2005, 09:07 AM
I agree with cobradav that they should increase the buffer to allow more tolerance to dropped signals.? As long as they can receive data faster than the stream uses it up to play the audio, I don't know why they don't build in a significant size buffer to prevent the dropouts...
[snapback]160226[/snapback]

Not sure how feasable it would be... I'd imagine there is some FEC built in already to the transmission to deal with bit errors and the like. I haven't really checked to see if XM or Sirius publish such information, but for comparison DBS uses just 23Mbps for actual audio and video out of the available 40Mbps. The remaining 17Mbps is used for Forward Error Correction (FEC).

They're already super bandwidth constrained - I'd imagine sending fast enough to gain a handful of seconds to deal with complete signal drop isn't in the budget.

Quick Reply: Should I get Sirius Satellite Radio?