E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Should I get Sirius Satellite Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2005, 02:18 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Is Sirius good for Hip-Hop?
Old 06-01-2005, 02:29 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jet190rs' date='Jun 1 2005, 05:18 PM
[snapback]135265[/snapback]
Yes, Accoroding to my daughter it's great for hip-hop. Comes with 1 year free. When you call to sign on you need to tell them your radio came with a Sirus radio. Don't know if one year comes with dealer installed Sirus however.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Sound quality is rubbish in my opinion (significantly worse than a good FM station), if you can store everything you listen to on an iPod get the aux input and use that instead.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:55 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

I think that Sirius sound quality is between FM and CD quality for most music. Voice/talk stations sound somewhat tinny and compressed. The bigger problem is the drop-outs when you get an obstruction. Even trees can block the signal if the satelite is low on the horizon which happens fairly often due to the figure 8 orbit. They buffer it a bit, but it "skips" pretty often. The first year subscription is included in the option cost, but not really "free".
Old 06-01-2005, 04:33 PM
Members

I think XM is better, but since it isnt offered, go with the Sirius. No matter how you slice it, I think sattelite radio is great!
Old 06-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2010 335d saph blk/saddle Sport loaded! 2005 545 Tit Silver/Black SMG, HUD, PDC, CWP, Shades, Sport/Prem, Sirus, Logic7, Nav, com seats ED 11/19/04 2004 X5 4.4 Oxford Green/beige PDC DSP NAV Com seats DVD ENT, alum running boards, bluetooth retired :thumbup:

Well after 3 months of Sirius w/premium radio ($157.00 extra for programming and bracket). The sound quality is pretty good for stations I listen to like Area 63, Pulse, Boombox, Jazz caf?, Planet jazz, Remix, Chill, The Strobe . The talk news and kids stations have little dynamic range and channel separation because they are greatly compressed thus the sounds is barely listenable. :thumbsdown:

Last week I called my stealer about the frequent loss is signal in open no cover hiway and loosely covered country roads. On my 4 mile ride to work I drop signal 2-3 times.

I try to listen only to stations with formats not available on the air in my area. :winkcool:

As far as the execution by BMW goes I would like more station memories AND the ability to delete stations that I would never ever listen to (you know the ones). The current i drive setup and steering wheel button situation make it still a bit cumbersome to be a channel surfer, which I am.

My biggest concern about Sirius is that if you listen to the same channel often, you will hear a song over again several times. My feeling is that there more that enough content and given my limited exposure in the car I should rarely ever here any redundancy.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by jet190rs' date='Jun 1 2005, 06:18 PM
[snapback]135265[/snapback]
Yes, It has I think like 5 Hip-Hop stations and one is from Emenim I think it's called ShadyFM or something like that.. But they are right sometimes the sound is good, but other times with some stations it sounds like crap, but for the most part I like it.. I mostly switch between HIP-HOP & R&B stations but sometimes I try to find a little Sinatra on the Jazz Stations (haven't found it yet any help out there??) They have an ELVIS station but no RAT PACK !!!! What the heck
Old 06-01-2005, 05:18 PM
Members

I like satellite radio also and rarely listen to FM any more. Sound quality is not very good as mentioned above on talk radio and news programs. On most music channels I think it is pretty good.

The only time I lose signal is when driving in heavily treed areas and under bridges/overpasses. Usually only lasts for a second or two and then is back full strength.
Old 06-01-2005, 05:23 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 E60 BMW 525i - BIRTHDAY- 11/04 - EXTERIOR- Amethyst Gray Metallic. INTERIOR- Beige Dakota Leather w/Dark Poplar Grain Wood. OPTIONS- Automatic Transmission, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, 6-disc CD changer, Bluetooth using Verizon Raza V3c phone, SIRIUS Satellite Radio. ADD-ON's- 545i Chrome Grill, Euro Red Reflectors, Factory all-weater matts & Factory Coat-Hanger.

Originally Posted by Bubblehead' date='Jun 1 2005, 09:18 PM
I like satellite radio also and rarely listen to FM any more.? Sound quality is not very good as mentioned above on talk radio and news programs.? On most music channels I think it is pretty good.

The only time I lose signal is when driving in heavily treed areas and under bridges/overpasses.? Usually only lasts for a second or two and then is back full strength.
[snapback]135309[/snapback]
When I drive to work there is this little bridge/overpasses that isn't that long at all and I always lose signal, I was going to ask about that when I had my first check up but guess that is normal huh?? Or will an update fix it a little?
Old 06-01-2005, 05:41 PM
Members

I have not read about any updates fixing satellite radio - maybe some of the experts can chime in. It may be a bad connection to the antenna or a bad module. Either way, mention it to your dealer.

Quick Reply: Should I get Sirius Satellite Radio?