E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Seeking reviews from those with Brembo brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 04:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there! I have a 550i with 19" 172 wheels. I'm seriously thinking of upgrading my brakes to Brembo GT's. Before I do that I was hoping I could get some of your opinions on the following:

1. I've been told that Brembos require a fair bit of 'breaking in' before they are effective. What's involved in this?

2. I've also been told that for the brakes to work properly, they'll need to be 'warmed up' each time one drives. Is this true and what is the effect if the brakes are not sufficiently 'warmed up'?

3. I've heard that Brembos will produce a lot of 'squealing' when braking. Is this true and under what conditions?

4. Can I use the Brembos on 18" wheels?

5. How would you describe the difference in the feel between the stock E60 brakes compared to Brembo?

6. I enjoy going for spirited drives up in the local hills regularly. I've been told that for this kind of driving I'd hardly feel the difference and realise the benefit between stock and Brembo brakes. The only time I'd really feel the effect and benefit is if I take on a track. Do you agree?

7. What is the stopping distance for the Brembos compared to stock?

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2003 X5 3.0----->gone 2004 Porsche Cayenne S : Gemballa front and back bodykit, fabspeed bypass pipes, Gemballa exhaust pipes, full option, 20" factory sport design rims------>gone 2005 545i 6-spd manual---->de-badged, CDV removal, Autosolutions short shift kit, resonator removal, premium package, PDC, xenon, almost full options, hardwire V1 install ....looking for mods... 2007 550i 6-spd----> Premium package, sport package, Logic7, heated everything, Rogue Engineering SSK, CDV removal, hardwire V1 install, aFe cold air intake, Custom Magnaflow exhaust....

I only have the question to no. 3: Yes Brembos squeal ALOT and is embarrasing to me. My friend's 325 has brembo GT's and they do squeal and it gets worse when its cold. My Cayenne has Brembos stock I think and it squeals too...
Old 07-24-2007, 05:11 PM
Members

My Ride: '06 E60 M5 SG/IR/Al

I don't personally have a BBK, but I'll try to answer your questions since I've done some researching on them.

1. I've been told that Brembos require a fair bit of 'breaking in' before they are effective. What's involved in this?
All new brakes have a "break-in" step. It's called bedding the brakes.
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

2. I've also been told that for the brakes to work properly, they'll need to be 'warmed up' each time one drives. Is this true and what is the effect if the brakes are not sufficiently 'warmed up'?
This depends on your brake compound. If you're using a street compound then no warm up is necessary and they will bite when cold. If you use a race compound then they will have to be warmed up before they bite.

4. Can I use the Brembos on 18" wheels?
Depends on the rotor size/kit you purchase.

6. I enjoy going for spirited drives up in the local hills regularly. I've been told that for this kind of driving I'd hardly feel the difference and realise the benefit between stock and Brembo brakes. The only time I'd really feel the effect and benefit is if I take on a track. Do you agree?
Generally, yes. The main positive of a BBK system is increased heat capacity when braking. On a track where the brakes are abused, temperatures on stock brakes heat up quickly and brake fade occurs. The benefit of the BBK is being able to take the abuse better.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: MY2005 E60 525i M Sports

This is from my experience using Brembo's for about 2 weeks:

1. Yes, it needs break-in...it's not that difficult, it's meant for the surface of the disc and pads to settle...

2. no it doesn't need warming-up...in my case, it feel like using stocks, but better...especially on last minute breaking after a high speed sprint...(mine is meant for street use)

3. it does not squeel, but it produces a slight 'grip & bite' sound...stock brakes produces embarassing squeel (did a lot to eliminate the sqeel, got fade up coz the keeps coming back after a short while!)

4. mine is brembo gt 380, so the smallest rims that fit are 19's...

5. a lot, lot, lot better than the stocks.....i hated my stocks because of the squeeling, but to tell you the truth, these brembo's are awsome, normal drive or high speed breaking...

6. this i'm not sure, but from my experience, i've felt the difference even on normal driving...

*my recommendation : go for it! you won't regret it ...i can't wait to get my rears...it going to be installed this weekend...