E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i just want to say that i am in no way bad-mouthing the product. i love my orions....a lot. but with that said, i think there might be something deeper here than soldering. here are some shots i took this week. you can see....its not just one ring or one side. its multiple rings....different sides. its finicky at best....janky at worst lol

ideally i would need another set sent my way so when i take these out....i can put the new ones in and immediately reseal my headlights rather than wait a few days for an exchange or for you guys to re-solder these. i think these need to just be tossed out....evidently there is some huge failure here. they were installed on the car like 2 or 3 months ago and worked perfectly until just a couple weeks ago. the failures are occuring more often now...
Attached Thumbnails Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.-orion-3.jpg   Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.-orion-2.jpg   Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.-orion-4.jpg   Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.-orion-5.jpg   Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.-orion-1.jpg  

Old 06-11-2012, 04:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy mother of lights how disturbing
Old 06-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Sounds like there should be a recall orions!
Old 06-11-2012, 09:06 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

I installed mine New Year's day 2010 and it has been working fine since (fingers crossed and knocked on wood ). I'm definitely upgrading to the next version when it becomes available.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

What's the latest from Umnitza on this issue? I am not happy this is happening to me.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:30 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by umnitza
We're not falsely reassuring you guys. We really have isolated this issue. Please keep 2 things in mind when installing.
It's a bad set of rings with faulty soldering, we have received all new rings now and they do not have this issue (there is extra solder in that spot)

This is literally isolated in the last 4 weeks of orders (which is about 20-30 units) it should not affect (no more than 1% at the worst) previous installs.

Also, something very strange, we use these exact same rings on the E92 installs and to this day have never had 1 failure. They are the same rings exactly. Also, we have never had this issue on any of the installs we've done locally.
If your ring is a problem. Please email us, put a small deposit down, we'll immediately send you a new ring (with improved soldering) and when we get your back, refund you. We will then take your rings, and have them reman'ed for usage in other vehicles.

We understand you guys are upset, but we are definitely here for you. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umnitza
If your ring is a problem. Please email us, put a small deposit down, we'll immediately send you a new ring (with improved soldering) and when we get your back, refund you. We will then take your rings, and have them reman'ed for usage in other vehicles.

We understand you guys are upset, but we are definitely here for you. We apologize for this inconvenience.
Thank you for standing by your product. I have yet to install mine but knowing you will replace them if this does happen is very comforting.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

You have PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:46 PM
Senior Members

Guys i wouldnt sell Umnitza Short, when my HID fogs went out they sent a new kit ASAP for my e46 zhp. when my bodykit came in cracked, they sent me a new one that was here within a week. i have received good service from them.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

I went to Simon's yesterday and the inner passenger side ring, I was having trouble with, was working correctly. We unplugged it from the white controller box and plugged it back in and it work. As soon as I get home, the ring is half mooning again. It is definitely the ring. I am going to give Umnitza a call tomorrow to return these rings and get new ones. I am glad they have a lifetime warranty, but I hate the fact that I have to open up my lights again risking moisture build up to put in the new rings. The Orions are so beautiful when they are working correctly.

Quick Reply: Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.