E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

Originally Posted by DKNewYork
Well, that's the risk you're going to have to take. Hopefully you won't have this problem. If you do, at least you know how to open it back up again.
can you bake it open after you seal it?
Old 05-31-2012, 08:25 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SD5Series
Ok.. wtf... I just got mine, but haven't installed it yet cause I am moving and didn't want to start my project til I got into my new place. To install or not to install is the question now!
Just got mine as well and was hoping to get this project started this weekend but little worried now...
Old 05-31-2012, 08:55 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

can you bake it open after you seal it?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:05 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Old 05-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

On any ring that doesn't have any "stress" when installed, this will never happen to it. If you have some stress on the ring for whatever reason the bottom center negative solder point loses contact if it's compressed. If you know how to solder, you can - even prior to install - reinforce this section by gently prying open the back cover and adding a tiny bit of solder. We have done this on 5-7 failed rings and have never had that problem reoccur.

This does not affect larger rings - if your larger ring isn't lighting up (horseshoe) style it's 99.999999% chance it's the control box connection coming loose. Just reseat the connector and it's all good.

For those of you having this problem, if you do not want to deal with solder, we'll be more than happy to replace any rings for you that you believe are not operating properly.
Old 05-31-2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Members

don't mind simon LOL he probably is bashing his head like that because he probably has read, heard and answered the baking lights topic a million times
Old 05-31-2012, 08:47 PM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
Oh wow, hit me up and let me know Mike. It's strange that the only time I have seen this in person was my own long ago, but it was the larger ring. But seems like for everyone else it's the small ring?
I'll hit you up tomorrow Simon.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by spediegunz
don't mind simon LOL he probably is bashing his head like that because he probably has read, heard and answered the baking lights topic a million times
but... if your resealing it, since it's not the BMW sealant, couldn't you open up your headlights easier now? or do they have to be cut open again?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Many BMW's

Originally Posted by umnitza
Sorry for your troubles and of course we're going to replace it.

All of this has - after lengthy discussions with our engineers - been attributed to a small batch of 9X rings (not 12X) where if you put undue stress during install on the ring itself where it's "compressed" even a little, the two halves of the ring lose solder contact at the bottom center on the "negative" solder (the top of the center/bottom section of the ring is negative, the bottom of the center/bottom of the ring is positive).

If you know how to solder well, you can fix it yourself very easily. All the new batch rings have already had this additional solder during production done for them because this issue was earlier discovered on our 6X rings for another car. So anything from about February on should be fine, but some may have slipped through.

In any case, we can:
a) repair your ring
b) give you guidance on how to fix the ring (for time savings this is an option).
c) replace your ring (but we will need your rings back so we can repair them)

Please email us and we'll be happy to assist you quickly.

Unfortunately it happened , those were installed in July last year , worked perfectly fine till last week , the X12 half ring dimmed most of the time ( picture attached ) , as you said ,, it sounds like soldering loose issue but i doubt it's the power pox problem because the inner ring works fine unless its something wrong inside the power box itself ,, will give it another try once the guy comes back during the day so I can have a look and try to troubleshoot more ..
Attached Thumbnails Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.-dubai-20120531-00021.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Contributors

but... if your resealing it, since it's not the BMW sealant, couldn't you open up your headlights easier now? or do they have to be cut open again?
Just scrape off the glue you used to seal it the first time. Depending on what you use to seal it, it would either be easy or hard to remove. I wouldn't advise you to cut another line.

Quick Reply: Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.