E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Reliability of the Umnitza Orion V2.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

I hear ya v_therussian. My two replacement rings just arrived and I deposited $40 in which this amount will be returned to me once I get the old ones out. I am getting the new rings installed this weekend. I am scared for these new ones to fail as well. I have spent over $500 now on this MOD. I could have had a new front bumper with this money. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I am blessed by the Gods.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

wow, im glad you guys shared your deposit amounts....i was quoted $175 as the deposit amount for four new rings...by my math thats way too much...which is now confirmed by your individual deposit quotes. i initially pushed back saying that that was way too steep but they assured me that everyone had to pay the same high deposit to ensure that they returned the old broken rings...hmmmm. thats not fair! lol why is my deposit amount so damn high?

again, i love the look of orions. products have failures, thats the name of the game, i get that. the only thing we can do as consumers is hope to rely on great customer service and warranty policies
Old 07-11-2012, 02:28 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

Each ring is supposed to be $40 for deposit for the small rings, and $60 for the large rings. We refund you the deposit immediately on return of the old rings. These are deposits, NOT charges, NOT payments. If you call us on the phone, we don't necessarily even have to charge your card the deposit, we can simply put an authorization down, but that complicates things because if you don't return your parts within 30 days, it's a permanent charge, while a deposit can be refunded up to 60 days.

In the past, we've shipped replacement units, and never returned the bad parts, so we started charging deposits so we could get parts back. We own the factory and process for this so we need to take full responsibility for the failures and we have. It was only through this deposit exchange program that we were able to fully isolate the issues.

Having said that, the ONLY ISSUE WE HAVE SEEN IS THE SMALLER FULL CIRCLE RINGS. If you have a problem with the larger ring, it's 99.999999% because of either the box or the connection to the box. Those rings are built differently and do not have a solder joint at the bottom.

If you have a faulty ring, a simple email to us, pay a deposit that is immediately refundable on return, we'll even pay for your shipping back and forth. We do sympathize with your situations, we don't want it to happen to our own cars or our customer cars, so we're not "just saying it" - but please don't label us as "bad" or "garbage" - we're here and we're supporting you as best we can. And we're not going anywhere, we'll stay til the last failed ring is replaced.

We have new rings arriving now with better solder points AND we're replacing items as quickly as we can. If you do not want to do a deposit, I'm sorry, I cannot authorize a shipment of rings to you free, there are too many people that will take advantage of this to get free rings and in the past have actually sold those to their friends etc.

Chris? I believe you requested that we replace all 4 of your rings, as a result, we asked for a $175 deposit, though it should have been $200, I think I made an exception in this case for some reason, but i can't recall what that reason was at this time.

Wtlb - Who did you pay the $40 deposit with? It should have been for 1 ring, did you get 2? We need to be consistent, that is unfortunately what I think upsets you guys the most, and I apologize for that.

Vrussian - We will be happy to discuss this with you in a reasonable way on the phone.

I know this doesn't make your situation any better, but we don't have ANY issues at all, none, zero, zip, zilch, nada, with these same rings that go into: E46 Facelifted Coupes, E92 and E90 Coupe/Convertible/M3/Sedan <-- same kit, or any of the other models that the rings are designed for. The issue is specifically isolated to the E60. So I'd like to offer some tips during install that will eliminate this issue even with the older rings:
1) Have the ring sit freely, there should be no pressure from the top down on the ring (high beam only)
2) Ensure that when you put the connections in, they are secure and the pins line up with the boxes
3) Do not use any glue that expands or contracts with heat, we recommend plasti-solder or even softer silicon that takes longer to dry.

Again, genuinely sorry for all your issues, we do have more to say about it but frankly, we just want to get it fixed for you right away. Call us, we don't bite, we'll fix it for you as quickly as we can, we have the parts now.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Haha. I actually do like Umnitza's response above.

Like most of you guys know, I am not affiliated with Umnitza, and I tend to be a very fair person. With that said, from my personal experience and installing upwards 50+ sets, this really isn't that common.

I've said in earlier posts, but this problem is largely magnified due to the complex process of the install, otherwise, which other aftermarket angel eye has perfect 100% working rate? There will always be some failures due to the nature of these hardware, not to say it becomes any more acceptable -- but it is what it is. As long as this potential failure rate is tiny, I can still continue to recommend Orions.

Matt, I think you've mentioned a very good point above. Perhaps what would make more sense is to just get people's authorization down instead of actually charging for deposit. That way, at least it's clear from the start, if the customer does not return the defective product, they'll get the full charge on the back end. I assume that for your business, there's probably a Net30 or longer payment process to distribution, so it shouldn't affect much of your books anyway. Plus, if these are very infrequent incidents, they're negligible numbers in the big picture. Nothing that accounting can't figure out.

This way, people probably won't feel as bent over. Just sharing aloud how I would do it.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:10 PM
Senior Members

yea, simon has a great point. i personally never said anything negative about Umnitza or even the product failure....if anything i fully understand that things happen. i just feel a bit nickle & dimed when asked to shell out nearly $200 for a deposit to replace faulty equipment. i own an expensive BMW M5 with thousands and thousands of dollars of aftermarket mods on it and am replacing/fixing a $250 aftermarket led ring system...im not going to cheat someone a few dollars lol....its a convenience thing and to be honest i would just want them to go out of their way...no matter what minimal risk they undertake in the process (ie someone not sending back the broken ring or two) to rectify the situation. the $185 is inconsequential to me budget wise, its more so the principle i guess. i was in sales and customer service once....we had a principle called LTC (love the customer)...it meant do whatever you have to...even if it were crazy to keep people happy (within reason)...customers are not disposable, because long after the sale they are either your biggest advocate (shout out to Trinity, RPI, Nomis_nech for coding and Eurocharged Tunes btw!) to new potential customers or your harbinger of death if you spark their ire...

anywho, with all that said, you guys should consider sending me a set of those V4s for E60 LCI headlights as my car will be at SoCal shows this summer fall after i put on the 21s....ill be ur advocate....nothing like good publicity

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

Like most of you guys know, I am not affiliated with Umnitza, and I tend to be a very fair person. With that said, from my personal experience and installing upwards 50+ sets, this really isn't that common.

I've said in earlier posts, but this problem is largely magnified due to the complex process of the install, otherwise, which other aftermarket angel eye has perfect 100% working rate? There will always be some failures due to the nature of these hardware, not to say it becomes any more acceptable -- but it is what it is. As long as this potential failure rate is tiny, I can still continue to recommend Orions.

Matt, I think you've mentioned a very good point above. Perhaps what would make more sense is to just get people's authorization down instead of actually charging for deposit. That way, at least it's clear from the start, if the customer does not return the defective product, they'll get the full charge on the back end. I assume that for your business, there's probably a Net30 or longer payment process to distribution, so it shouldn't affect much of your books anyway. Plus, if these are very infrequent incidents, they're negligible numbers in the big picture. Nothing that accounting can't figure out.

This way, people probably won't feel as bent over. Just sharing aloud how I would do it.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by umichchris
wow, im glad you guys shared your deposit amounts....i was quoted $175 as the deposit amount for four new rings...by my math thats way too much...which is now confirmed by your individual deposit quotes. i initially pushed back saying that that was way too steep but they assured me that everyone had to pay the same high deposit to ensure that they returned the old broken rings...hmmmm. thats not fair! lol why is my deposit amount so damn high?

again, i love the look of orions. products have failures, thats the name of the game, i get that. the only thing we can do as consumers is hope to rely on great customer service and warranty policies
What else gotta be said here?! C'mon, guys! Thanks for sharing Chris! I actually thought at some point that my flaming at umnitza was not justified...

Originally Posted by umnitza
Each ring is supposed to be $40 for deposit for the small rings, and $60 for the large rings. We refund you the deposit immediately on return of the old rings. These are deposits, NOT charges, NOT payments. If you call us on the phone, we don't necessarily even have to charge your card the deposit, we can simply put an authorization down, but that complicates things because if you don't return your parts within 30 days, it's a permanent charge, while a deposit can be refunded up to 60 days.

In the past, we've shipped replacement units, and never returned the bad parts, so we started charging deposits so we could get parts back. We own the factory and process for this so we need to take full responsibility for the failures and we have. It was only through this deposit exchange program that we were able to fully isolate the issues.

Having said that, the ONLY ISSUE WE HAVE SEEN IS THE SMALLER FULL CIRCLE RINGS. If you have a problem with the larger ring, it's 99.999999% because of either the box or the connection to the box. Those rings are built differently and do not have a solder joint at the bottom.

If you have a faulty ring, a simple email to us, pay a deposit that is immediately refundable on return, we'll even pay for your shipping back and forth. We do sympathize with your situations, we don't want it to happen to our own cars or our customer cars, so we're not "just saying it" - but please don't label us as "bad" or "garbage" - we're here and we're supporting you as best we can. And we're not going anywhere, we'll stay til the last failed ring is replaced.

We have new rings arriving now with better solder points AND we're replacing items as quickly as we can. If you do not want to do a deposit, I'm sorry, I cannot authorize a shipment of rings to you free, there are too many people that will take advantage of this to get free rings and in the past have actually sold those to their friends etc.

Chris? I believe you requested that we replace all 4 of your rings, as a result, we asked for a $175 deposit, though it should have been $200, I think I made an exception in this case for some reason, but i can't recall what that reason was at this time.

Wtlb - Who did you pay the $40 deposit with? It should have been for 1 ring, did you get 2? We need to be consistent, that is unfortunately what I think upsets you guys the most, and I apologize for that.

Vrussian - We will be happy to discuss this with you in a reasonable way on the phone.

I know this doesn't make your situation any better, but we don't have ANY issues at all, none, zero, zip, zilch, nada, with these same rings that go into: E46 Facelifted Coupes, E92 and E90 Coupe/Convertible/M3/Sedan <-- same kit, or any of the other models that the rings are designed for. The issue is specifically isolated to the E60. So I'd like to offer some tips during install that will eliminate this issue even with the older rings:
1) Have the ring sit freely, there should be no pressure from the top down on the ring (high beam only)
2) Ensure that when you put the connections in, they are secure and the pins line up with the boxes
3) Do not use any glue that expands or contracts with heat, we recommend plasti-solder or even softer silicon that takes longer to dry.

Again, genuinely sorry for all your issues, we do have more to say about it but frankly, we just want to get it fixed for you right away. Call us, we don't bite, we'll fix it for you as quickly as we can, we have the parts now.
Installer blames vendor, vendor blames installer??? And you really think I'll bother wasting more time with you after all this?! Keep your GARBAGE rings and anything else you peddle! I don't trust a WORD you're saying!

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc

No disrespect, Chris - everyone on here knows you stand by your work and do a damn good job any time you put your hands on anything mod. I understand you not wanting to get into bashing umnitza too, when you're installing their rings and getting good coin for it. But think about it like this, you will get the blame as the installer. Do you remember when their m tech replica kits were getting bad rep what they said? If I remember correctly, they said that the installer was to blame for bad fitment, poor paint adhesion and anything else that was reported to go wrong. Check that response you said you liked again if you have a minute - they're already implying that whatever failures did take place with orions happened because of some stress that was being put on the rings during installation. When you use 3M Scotchprint 1080, it's because you trust the product. Actually, I think I remember you stating that you only wanted to use top materials on your wraps and have done plenty of research. It is very unfortunate that no one else makes rings like this, but only because there's no alternative, it doesn't mean it's a quality product.

You say not too many of these failed of the ones you've installed? I say, wait a while... I hope that you will not have to deal with unhappy customers and do hours of painstaking headlight work for free on behalf of umnitza. As for me, I don't think they would ever man up and refund me the 500+ that I have spent on getting this garbage put on my car; therefore, I'm through with them.

Good news for umnitza is that I'm not really that active on this forum anymore, so I'm sure this will blow over soon enough and they'll muddy the water enough to switch the blame away from themselves in the public eye. As for anyone who may be reading this post in the future and kicking themselves for buying this garbage regardless of this thread's content, think about that old saying "fool me once..."
Old 07-11-2012, 09:44 PM
Senior Members

I feel what you are saying. I see where you are coming from. However I think you mightve confused me with Simon on here lol. I'm just as pissed as you are...I'm just choosing to bite my tongue for now lol
Old 07-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Haha, I'll post another reply later. Just got home, tired, haven't had dinner, need to shower, been a hot day.