E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RDS Dual Exhaust for 545i

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I am about to move forward with the RDS dual exhaust mufflers - the only one that has a real dual setup.
They have a true two dual exhaust system with removing the resonator.

I checked out a 645 and it sounded nice. It seemed to have a slight vibration common when removing the resonator. The dealer said that it was still quieter than a B&B. I am just not sure if I want to remove the resonator. I still want the quiet cruising speed and don't want any flack from the wife. Besides the car is way to smooth to add vibration at cruising speeds.

The RDS dealer says that the system was only tested without the resonator and is not sure about the backpressure or sound if you leave the resonator in the system.

It was my understanding that the resonator was pretty much a straight through system and did not add very much back pressure. Is this true on the 545i?

My goal is:

- dual exhaust look
- little bit of added sound on excelleration
- fairl quiet and no vibration at cruising speeds (I figure I will be adding even more sound if I go ahead with the cold air intake)

The system comes with the X-pipe. So, I can have the mufflers put on and try it, then if needed put on the X-pipe and remove the resonator. Or visa-versa.

I would assume my backpressure would be less than the stock system by leaving the resonator and just changing the mufflers, but maybe that is an incorrect assumption.

Looking for some words of wisdom and advice.
Old 12-17-2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 645Ci black/red, Eibach springs, K&N air filter, Wetterauer ECU upgrade, Eisenmann 83mmx4 exhaust, 20" Sportec wheels-Michelin PS2 tires, Hamann front add-on lip

Originally Posted by jsal' post='211410' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:15 PM
I am about to move forward with the RDS dual exhaust mufflers - the only one that has a real dual setup.

I checked out a 645 and it sounded nice. It seemed to have a slight vibration common when removing the resonator. The dealer said that it was still quieter than a B&B. I am just not sure if I want to remove the resonator. I still want the quiet cruising speed and don't want any flack from the wife. Besides the car is way to smooth to add vibration at cruising speeds.

The RDS dealer says that the system was only tested without the resonator and is not sure about the backpressure or sound if you leave the resonator in the system.

It was my understanding that the resonator was pretty much a straight through system and did not add very much back pressure. Is this true on the 545i?

My goal is:

- dual exhaust look
- fairl quiet and no vibration at cruising speeds (I figure I will be adding even more sound if I go ahead with the cold air intake)

The system comes with the X-pipe. So, I can have the mufflers put on and try it, then if needed put on the X-pipe and remove the resonator. Or visa-versa.

I would assume my backpressure would be less than the stock system by leaving the resonator and just changing the mufflers, but maybe that is an incorrect assumption.

First of all, I think the 545i and 645ci have different exhaust sound even though they share the same engine. I have heard many aftermarket exhaust on a 545i, but none sound like the 645ci. The 545i has a more european V8 sound that sounds bassier and full in midrange, a very classic BMW V8 exhaust sound. On the other hand the sound on the 645ci is more like an american muscle car. Is RD power exhaust system consist of replacing the resonator and your catalytic converter? I think if you want a quieter exhaust you can opt for the Eisenmann Sport exhaust with quad tips, which is considerably sporty but not too loud. I have an Eisenmann Race exhaust on my car and it definitely expose the true V8 sound, but it can be quite loud on hard acceleration.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by jsal' post='211410' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:15 PM

My goal is:

- dual exhaust look

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=19524
Old 12-18-2005, 09:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

[/quote]

First of all, I think the 545i and 645ci have different exhaust sound even though they share the same engine. I have heard many aftermarket exhaust on a 545i, but none sound like the 645ci. The 545i has a more european V8 sound that sounds bassier and full in midrange, a very classic BMW V8 exhaust sound. On the other hand the sound on the 645ci is more like an american muscle car. Is RD power exhaust system consist of replacing the resonator and your catalytic converter? I think if you want a quieter exhaust you can opt for the Eisenmann Sport exhaust with quad tips, which is considerably sporty but not too loud. I have an Eisenmann Race exhaust on my car and it definitely expose the true V8 sound, but it can be quite loud on hard acceleration.
[/quote]

The RDS exhaust that I am looking at is a cat back system (OEM cats remain). The system provides an X-pipe to replace the resonator and two mufflers.

Yes, the 545 and 645 are different exhaust systems. However the RDS exhaust kit for both cars is basically the same configuration (x-pipe and two mufflers). The mufflers on teh 645 I checked out are supposidly very similar mufflers to the ones for the 545i kit - however, the 545i kit has to rotate the right side muffler to fit into the slot.

I think I am going to try just the mufflers first and leave my resonator. My past experience on other vehicles is that when you take the resonator out of the loop, you get the low resonate vibration.

RDS has not tested the backpressure or sound of the system when the resonator remains in the loop. Most resonators, I don't believe add much back pressure - they are usually a straight through pipe/box with drilled holes in the tube and insulation outside of it.

I would think my flow of just the two mufflers would be better than stock and I would think I would have some more sound without being too obnoxious - but this is all a guess. Any advice on this would be much appreciated.

I did consider the eisenmann and hamann systems. I heard the Hamann system with the resonator in the loop and really liked the sound - I just don't like the psuedo dual exhaust configuration.

The kit comes with the mufflers and the X pipe. I think I am going to add just the mufflers and see what results I get. If there is not enough sound, then I will have the X pipe added and remove the resonator. But, if anyone has some experience or advice with this thinking, I am all ears.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

Looking for suggestions from anyone who has installed working quad tip exhaust from RD Systems? I have 545. What rear bumper do you suggest? Not sure if I like the looks of the RD Systems rear bumper? Has opening for differential cooler that I don't plan on installing. I wish I could install the M5 bumper but it is too wide. Has anyone seen kit that is replica of M5 rear bumper that will fit E60? I don't know if need to stay with RD if going to install their exhaust so everything fits right? Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - Steptronic - Logic 7 - Sirius Satellite - CD Changer - Cold Weather Pkg.- Fold Down Rear Seats - Comfort Seats Mods: Dinan CAI - RPI dual intake scoops - Euro AHL Bi-Xenons - LED Angels,
Model Year: 2004

Hey Jsal

I am thinking about installing the RD System quad tip exhaust in my 545 as well. I see that back in December you were thinking about it, have you actually done it?? If so what do you think? are you happy with leaving the resonator in or better to take out? Who did the installation? Was installation easy or difficult. Did the right side muffler line up ok with the hole in bumper? Is the sound too loud? What rear bumper kit did you go with? Did you get the RD bumper or some other?

Thanks
Old 02-14-2006, 01:21 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by B_Schnell' post='239892' date='Feb 13 2006, 10:28 PM
Hey Jsal

I am thinking about installing the RD System quad tip exhaust in my 545 as well. I see that back in December you were thinking about it, have you actually done it?? If so what do you think? are you happy with leaving the resonator in or better to take out? Who did the installation? Was installation easy or difficult. Did the right side muffler line up ok with the hole in bumper? Is the sound too loud? What rear bumper kit did you go with? Did you get the RD bumper or some other?

Thanks
I had the system in my hand, but then returned it to get the Hamann. I listened to it on a 645 and it sounded good, but had a little more noise/vibration than I wanted. I figured I would leave the rear box resonator and dump the x-pipe. However I heard that the rear resonator does not do much. Then, once I looked at the mufflers and realized they are straight-through, I was pretty sure it would be too loud for me (mainly my wife).

If you are basically happy with the sound of the B&B, I have been told that this system is quieter.

It is definately the best flow system and configuration on the market.

I cut out and formed a tunnel on my stock rear apron - I just like the looks over anything else. I did not like the RDS rear.

The right tips will fit perfectly on a symetric cutout. They will fit in the stock opening, but barely - the RDS has 3.5" diameter tips which are quit large.

The RDS fit seems pretty good and it is made to bolt on. The muffler fits perfectly in the right slot next to the spare tire. I was going to have the install done by a muffler shop since they can make things fit perfectly.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: MY RIDE is DA real .-) HAMANN 5 aka BLACK MAMBA born on 16/06/2005/delivered on 05/08/2005 as following: 530dA (steptronic), Black II (JET), leather Dakota auburn black, mapple trim, head-up display, dynamic drive, active steering, adaptive xenon headlights (auto levelling) with headlight washers, alarm, comfort seats with massage function, advanced A/C, big compartment armrest, aux-in, MP3, Logic 7, Radio PRO, CD in-dash+cd changer, power rear sunshades, rear airbags, park distance control, auto dimming folding mirrors, smoking package, shiny shadow line (individual), fold down rear seats, ski bag, sport suspension, run flats on �116-style� rims (Good Year NCT5+), cup holders, debadged, fire extinguishers, additional permanent power outlet, BMW coat hanger, trunk release button (installed by Hobi), GPS tracking device and a big thx 2 Iceman. Mods done: � Authentic HAMANN FRONT APRON Including ellipsoid fog lights Item-No.: 10 060 110 � Authentic HAMANN REAR SPOILER Item-No.: 10 060 130, � Authentic HAMANN HAMANN ALUMINIUM PEDALS For cars with manual gearbox Item-No.: 80 099 100 81,00 For cars with automatic transmission Item-No.: 80 099 120 � Authentic HAMANN FOOT REST In aluminium For left-hand drive vehicles Item No. : 80 099 122 � Authentic HAMANN HAND-BRAKE LEVER In aluminium For left- and right-hand drive cars Item No. : 80 099 216 � Authentic HAMANN Idrive of alu (sorry this is the only one in the World) but you can have it in carbon fiber , � Authentic HAMANN EXCLUSIVE FLOORMAT SET In black with HAMANN logo in silver For left-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 120 For right-hand drive cars Item-No. : 80 060 � Authentic HAMANN COVER FOR OIL FILLER CAP In aluminium Item-No.: 80 099 117 � Authentic HAMANN SPORT REAR MUFFLER 4 TAILPIPES Sport rear muffler with four round stainless-steel tailpipes ( � 76mm ) Item-No.: 50 060 111 � Authentic HAMANN new add-on for M pack rear with diffusor for quad pipes -AVAILABLE NOW (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?act=ST&f=22&t=30630&st=0#entry332409) � ///M steering wheel w Pegasus logo (this will be also changed to three spoke sports) � ///M pack rear � HAMANN ECU upgrade 265 HP 608 Nm. most improtant: �real and working like a charm forumsbuy real LED tails and PIAA 4700k fogs!!! for HAMANN full front apron you need H3 � CustomAngels, Angel Eyes Brighter than stocks 10X, WHITE & (REd for shows). � Authentic HAMANN LIGHT-ALLOY WHEELS DESIGN EDITION RACE 20" Ultra-light forged 3-pieced light-alloy wheel, Cross-spoke-design,Spider in black, titanium, screwing,polished flange DIMENSIONS : 9.0 J x 20 FA Item No.: 91 207 315 10.5 J x 20 only RA Item No.: 91 207 625 Recommended 20" Complete Wheel Set DESIGN EDITION RACE I went with most aggressive Combination A.10 FA 9.0 J x 20 / RA 10.5 J x 20 with tires: FA 245/30 ZR 20 / RA 285/25 ZR 20 � Authentic HAMANN LOWERING KIT 4 progressive sport springs Lowering by approx. 40 mm FA, 20 mm RA Item-No.: 20 060 125 � Authentic HAMANN TIRE - PRESSURE CHECK SENSOR SYSTEM � Authentic HAMANN SIDE SILLS Item-No.: 10 060 120 � Authentic HAMANN REAL CF ROOF SPOLIER Item-No.: 10 060 235 � Authentic HAMANN AIRBAG SPORT STEERING WHEEL 3-SPOKE Three-spoke design w their SMG paddles (For assembly O.E. airbag in exchange) � Authentic HAMANN sports mirrors (all functions) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and of course !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! E60.net Clings Still to do list;-): � Our Hobi's camera system from : ww.switchchange.com). � Individual leather interior (auburn+auburn alcantara)... and drive with sheer drivin' pleasure ... until 2009/2010 F10 comes or E60 possibly a 540d V8 diesel early in 2009 badly juiced!

you guys in the US you have so much choices, RD is Racing Dynamics or what here we heared the went out of business and I do not mind that we have no RD no RE hardly any HRE...

but BMW is made here it's true and all German tuners
Old 02-14-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by ats77' post='240261' date='Feb 14 2006, 05:34 PM
you guys in the US you have so much choices
but we still don't have as many choices as the guys in Japan!
Old 02-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ats77' post='240261' date='Feb 14 2006, 02:34 PM
you guys in the US you have so much choices, RD is Racing Dynamics or what here we heared the went out of business and I do not mind that we have no RD no RE hardly any HRE...

but BMW is made here it's true and all German tuners
RD Sport did not go out of business - there was some name licensing issues with two companies. It is explained on thier website.

However, I would agree - it is hard to beat German engineering.

Quick Reply: RDS Dual Exhaust for 545i