E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RADAR / L.A.S.E.R detectors

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by patoleas' date='Nov 1 2005, 03:18 PM
[quote name='?gent99' date='Oct 28 2005, 12:23 PM']Will a V1 work overseas?? Do they use the same radar guns that are used in the US?? ? I would hazard a "yes" to that but I don't know for sure.

If so, V1 is the one to get.? The 3 directional finders on it are invaluable.? Also, if you want to more visually located the V1, be sure to spring for the Remote Display as well.? I put mine at the corner of the dash/windshield...just snaked the wire down the a-pillar.
[snapback]190063[/snapback]
Agent99, where did you install the main module, and what model of V1 do you have.

Thanks.
[snapback]191986[/snapback]
[/quote]
My understanding is that there is only one V1 model, and its software can be updated. The current version of the software handles POP2.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:51 PM
Members

My Ride: 2006 535d MSport ; Retired at 110,000 miles October 2010: 2010 535d MSport; Space Grey/Black Dakota, Adaptive Xenons, High Beam assistant, Prof. Nav, Voice Control,SAT, Adaptive Drive, Powered boot, Comfort Access, Climate Comfort W/Screen, Surround View, Side/Rear Sunblinds, Comfort Seats, HUD, Active Cruise, TV, Prof Loudspeaker, Night Vision, Lane Change warning, 4-Zone A/C, split rear seats, Speed Limit Display

When you are thinking about radar/laser dectection in the UK, you need to remember that there's two different enforcement technologies - the first one, based around static mounted traps like the Gatso and Truvelo use radar - almost always fixed in one site, so either a detector or the GPS type systems will do this job.

The second is the portable trap, either handheld or used in one of the increasingly common 'Road Safety Enforcement' vans - these are almost always laser based.

Detectors are very good at warning you of radar - I used the V1 for some time - but are useless at warning you of laser - basically the warning is to tell you that a ticket is on its way

So , IMHO, the best bet is a GPS based system like the Origin or RoadAngel to cover the fixed sites, and if you feel you need more , then a Lidatek or similar to deal with the laser traps ; I have no experience of the Lidatek, but it has had good reviews - have a look at
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Avoid_Ho...id_Gadgets.htm

Great site, and full of useful information
Old 11-02-2005, 10:50 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I just ordered the V1 for my car thats coming next week. Thanks to all the info everyone. I hope it will be easy to hardwire myself.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545, Titanium Gray II, 6 Spd, CWP, Sat, LPP Laser Defense, V1 (hard-wired), iPod, 38% ceramic tint, CDV delete, H&R Street Performance Coil Overs, Forced Air Induction, DriveData Pro Camera System (4 cams), M5 Front Bumper

Shiny,

First off, V1 would by suggestion. It natively supports Euro radar bands (e.g. Ku).

Second, see my post elsewhere on E60.net regarding a concealed V1 install. If you want to be extra stealthy you can leave off the visual arrows display. Although of course you lose valuable info on direction of a signal, you'll still get an audio alert and you can tell based on the insistence of the audio alert how strong it is.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by cerbera' date='Nov 1 2005, 04:51 PM
When you are thinking about radar/laser dectection in the UK, you need to remember that there's two different enforcement technologies - the first one, based around static mounted traps like the Gatso and Truvelo use radar - almost always fixed in one site, so either a detector or the GPS type systems will do this job.

The second is the portable trap, either handheld or used in one of the increasingly common 'Road Safety Enforcement' vans - these are almost always laser based.

Detectors are very good at warning you of radar - I used the V1 for some time - but are useless at warning you of laser - basically the warning is to tell you that a ticket is on its way

So , IMHO, the best bet is a GPS based system like the Origin or RoadAngel to cover the fixed sites, and if you feel you need more , then a Lidatek? or similar to deal with the laser traps ; I have no experience of the Lidatek, but it has had good reviews - have a look at
http://www.speed-trap.co.uk/Avoid_Ho...id_Gadgets.htm

Great site, and full of useful information
[snapback]192038[/snapback]
One of my V1 saves was laser. So, that one time ensured that the V1 had paid for itself. But, yes, laser is difficult to deal with. To clarify, yes, the V1 makes as good an attempt as any other "radar" detector to deal with laser. For V1 info, go here and here the pops.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:53 AM
Members

I am looking for a radar/laser detector that is effective, small and can be integrated with I-Drive so that I don't have to put any additional instrument inside the car. I don't mind putting something in the front or rear. Let me also say that I have never used these 'speed detection' devices in the past.