E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quoted close to $700 for new iPod kit!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2006, 12:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 545i, SilverGray with 30% tint all around

I really wanted to get the Ipod interface, but if it is going to disconnect my CD changer than I dont think it's worth it for me to get it.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 X6 xDrive 3.5

I'm just wondering is there a difference between the sound quality of Ipod and CD?
Old 10-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='347500' date='Oct 21 2006, 04:47 PM
I'm just wondering is there a difference between the sound quality of Ipod and CD?
Here we go again.

Bottom line it depends. The encoding format and bit rate will make a big difference. But for car use (not the best sound enviroment) most people will be more than happy with the iPod interface. You still have the CD player and DVD player to listen to if you like. But I'll take my entire CD collection in one little iPod vs. picking 6 disks out of my collection to put in the changer. And the iPod gives me song/artist titles on the iDrive screen.

I'll also add, I've noticed the 2007 E60 aux input sounds better than the old style aux input - not sure why. And the MOST bus iPod interface sounds much better than the aux input even if using the line out from the iPod to the aux. Just avoid using the head phone jack on your iPod for anything other than headphones if you want good sound.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:45 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by Bambi' post='347500' date='Oct 21 2006, 04:47 PM

I conducted testing on my own with this.

I took a CD, and ripped it several different ways.

1. Ripped with iTunes into AAC

2. Ripped with iTunes into Apple Lossless

3. Ripped with EAC and coded to MP3 with LAME.

I then loaded all to my iPod, and went out to the car.

I played each of the encoded audio files back-2-back, and listened for differences.

They ranked in quality in the following order:

1. Apple Lossless

2. Exact Audio Copy with LAME MP3

3. AAC

The Apple Lossless sounded best, but only slightly better than the LAME MP3. The difference is in the bass response. I was getting more clear sound in the bass from the Apple Lossless. It was a faint difference, but noticable.

AAC sounded awful. The bass was noticably distorted, and lacking in extension.

Then I played the original CD against the Apple Lossless. The difference was ABSOLUTELY insane. CD sounded so much better, I nearly had a heart attack. I wasn't expecting the difference to be so noticable, but it was. The bass response was so much stronger and clearer on CD. It was like a completely different stereo system.

Before anyone says it.... I have 2 cars with Logic 7 and AUX input. My E60 and an E90. On my E60, I removed the caps/resistors from the AUX input. On my E90, I have not modified the AUX input.

The iPod sounds better in the E90. It's louder, and the bass is slightly stronger and more defined. This is in direct opposition to what you would think, but it's true.

Regardless... the CD player puts the iPod to shame.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='347536' date='Oct 21 2006, 07:45 PM
The iPod sounds better in the E90. It's louder, and the bass is slightly stronger and more defined. This is in direct opposition to what you would think, but it's true.

Regardless... the CD player puts the iPod to shame.
I agree, aux isn't the best option. However, how did you output your audio from the iPod?

Interesting that you thought the E90 sounds better. When driving in loaner E90's, I've found the audio to be much more muted in the E90 aux.
Old 10-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Because of beautiful sound introduced by RFT, it's very hard for untrained ears to distinguished b/w CD and Apple Lossless sound quality.
Data transmitted to CCC/MAS-K via optical MOST bus, so I found the sound is quite good. I don't know if data coming out from iPOd is converted to analog => digital and transfer to CCC/MAS-K. I hope not.
Of course no enscrypted format can be compared to CD, but there is some trade off there. I'd get a 80GB iPod and dope it with all Apple Lossless songs, and it'd be perfectly fine to me. However, because I've been buying music online with either AAC or MP3 (320kbps), I have to stay with iPod or burn CD/DVD. I don't want to change Nav disk often, so iPod is a good solution.
I had to debate within myself for months before deciding to buy iPod adapter. $250 is not cheap, but I got the cost recovered by selling my CD changer for about the same price The only cost is my labor and two pills of Tylenol
Old 10-21-2006, 05:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='347538' date='Oct 21 2006, 08:02 PM
I agree, aux isn't the best option. However, how did you output your audio from the iPod?

Interesting that you thought the E90 sounds better. When driving in loaner E90's, I've found the audio to be much more muted in the E90 aux.

I am using the line output from the iPod in both cars, through a Monster charger.

There is obviously a lot of electrical noise from the charger, but even when not connected the sound quality from the iPod is dismal.

I am about half a step away from tossing the iPod, and just going back to CDs. I love the convenience of the iPod, but sound quality really is important to me.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:20 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subterFUSE,
You can ask some member here with iPod adapter installed on his E60 in your area and let you test the sound.
I'm sure the iPod adapter sound quality is much better than AUX input.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Titanium Silver, Step, Black Interior, Sports Pkg.,CWP,Comfort Access, Nav, Premium Sound, Sat. Radio

I must have bad ears. I think the ipod with ipod adaptor sounds great! I can't tell the difference between it and my CD changer. Having my whole CD collection with me is just so nice! I would not go back.

My $0.02