E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question for subterFuse - replace L7 spkrs w/ MB Quart QSD-210

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm learing at MB Quart QSD-210 component speaker, and I'd like to replace front L7 speakers with these. What's your opinion?
Old 11-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was thinking the same setup.
Please anyone advice this setup.

Thanks
Old 11-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

I have not kept up with car audio for many years....

But I have never been a big fan of MB Quart speakers. Granted, they do make good speakers in their higher-end lines.... but I have always preferred Dynaudio speakers, or better yet... Image Dynamics horns.

Remember that I am a HUGE audio snob.... so keep that in mind when listening to my advice.

Also.... I would not recommend replacing speakers unless you install an amp to run them. Believe it or not, but speakers are probably the least important factor for a good stereo system. Good amps and source units are WAY more important. You can put a good amp and source unit with average speakers, and they'll sound great. Put a shitty amp on awesome speakers, and it won't sound good.... you might even damage the speakers.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I expected you'd provide me this kind of advise
Enough is never enough, so it's time for me to say enough. No more messing around with sound system. So tired now.

So many thanks, subterFuse.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by my530i' post='355606' date='Nov 13 2006, 01:31 PM
I expected you'd provide me this kind of advise
Enough is never enough, so it's time for me to say enough. No more messing around with sound system. So tired now.

So many thanks, subterFuse.

That's why I have not done any stereo system in my E60. For me, it's all or nothing. Either I replace every single bit of the system, from source unit to amps/processors, cable, power supply, and speakers.... or else, it's just pointless to me. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Adding an amp isn't such a difficult task, but then you're being held back by the dirt poor quality of the BMW source unit. Major buzz-killer.

Changing the source unit in the E60 is nearly impossible. About the only thing you can do is add a separate source unit. This is what I did in my Lexus before I got my E60. I actually left the factory stereo intact, and added an aftermarket stereo which worked independently.
Old 11-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='355626' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:10 AM
That's why I have not done any stereo system in my E60. For me, it's all or nothing. Either I replace every single bit of the system, from source unit to amps/processors, cable, power supply, and speakers.... or else, it's just pointless to me. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link.

Adding an amp isn't such a difficult task, but then you're being held back by the dirt poor quality of the BMW source unit. Major buzz-killer.

Changing the source unit in the E60 is nearly impossible. About the only thing you can do is add a separate source unit. This is what I did in my Lexus before I got my E60. I actually left the factory stereo intact, and added an aftermarket stereo which worked independently.
I am thinking of adding a separate source unit and have a totally independent system from the factory. The only thing that I can't figure it out is to getting the bluetooth unit to work with the aftermarket source unit. Any thoughts on this? The only thing I can think of is to leave the factory 4" in the door connected to the stock source unit, and drill new holes on the doors for a 6" mid. If so, I probably need a 4" coaxial for the voice? Any idea what frequency response the bluetooth module puts out? Another way is to buy a single 4" and put it in the dash (by the windshield), and use that solely for the bluetooth voice, and do a little rewiring so that the stock source only outputs to that speaker, I wonder if that's loud enough...

Any thoughts you expert?
Old 11-14-2006, 11:21 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kchan' post='355726' date='Nov 13 2006, 05:25 PM
I am thinking of adding a separate source unit and have a totally independent system from the factory. The only thing that I can't figure it out is to getting the bluetooth unit to work with the aftermarket source unit. Any thoughts on this? The only thing I can think of is to leave the factory 4" in the door connected to the stock source unit, and drill new holes on the doors for a 6" mid. If so, I probably need a 4" coaxial for the voice? Any idea what frequency response the bluetooth module puts out? Another way is to buy a single 4" and put it in the dash (by the windshield), and use that solely for the bluetooth voice, and do a little rewiring so that the stock source only outputs to that speaker, I wonder if that's loud enough...

Any thoughts you expert?

Man, I have no clue. Are you saying you want to use the factory Bluetooth iDrive control/telephone link along with an aftermarket stereo? I can't imagine that would be possible.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='356095' date='Nov 14 2006, 12:21 PM
Man, I have no clue. Are you saying you want to use the factory Bluetooth iDrive control/telephone link along with an aftermarket stereo? I can't imagine that would be possible.
Yeh that's what I was thinking, which I agree with you that's probably not possible...
The other way is to leave the stock (radio and bluetooth connection) completely untouched, and have the stock head unit output to some unused speakers (like the 4" in the center dash, or 4" in the door if I mount a 6" mid in the door)...