E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

"i think the light module needs to be changed or re coded."

Defeats the idea of this being plug and play but if this a solution that definately works then I would probably go ahead. Especially as I understand that any cars built after Mar or Sep 05 don't need a new LCM.

"have u got the bruce miranda looms set up on ur rear lights??????"

Not anymore. I had them on when I tried the first retrofit to pre-LCI bi-xenons (D1S bulb). I got the rear light error so switched to normal rear lights and got exactly the same errors. So don't think Bruce's cables make any difference.

I have now reinstalled the bi-xenons (D2S bulb) as they work and throw up an error now and again, rather than every time I brake.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jas_r_1
"i think the light module needs to be changed or re coded."

Defeats the idea of this being plug and play but if this a solution that definately works then I would probably go ahead. Especially as I understand that any cars built after Mar or Sep 05 don't need a new LCM.

"have u got the bruce miranda looms set up on ur rear lights??????"

Not anymore. I had them on when I tried the first retrofit to pre-LCI bi-xenons (D1S bulb). I got the rear light error so switched to normal rear lights and got exactly the same errors. So don't think Bruce's cables make any difference.

I have now reinstalled the bi-xenons (D2S bulb) as they work and throw up an error now and again, rather than every time I brake.

i think it needs to be changed also. as far as my understanding, the light control module needs to be over 2006 i currently have a 2003 e60 545i where the lcm is provisioned for xenons, and adaptive headlights.

yeah i got the bruce miranda looms set up on the rears?

i was hoping that i really didnt have to go the new lcm route and hoped i could get some sort of solution, where i can keep the rear lci set up and just mod the fronts r u still coming tomorrow? or today rather?
Old 11-04-2010, 03:27 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

This still doesnt make 100 % sense last night i drove home with out a single error braked loads sat in a traffic jam with my brakes on, this morning i did the same hour long journey and it came on twice when i braked.

Now when i had my Audi i modded the steering wheel for the new updated one but wire modifications had to be done as the new steering wheel had dual stage air bags, basically i had to join 2 wires together to make one single but it used to give off a fault and warning light and this always happend when it was cold outside, turns out it was a resistance problem, could this be the same here where we have had to join the AE bulb wires into one 10w wire.

Also is Sas not getting any errors at all .....why what is differant on his car what year is it???

My car is a 2006 model

i am sure we can get this sorted if we put our heads together.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 520d - 19" 172s- Remapped - LCI taillights V6 cables - LCI xenon headlights - Denison 500 with BTA1500 - led interior lights - OEM led number plate lights Planned mods: Folding mirrors - Modmynav kit - High gloss shadowline trim -

Went to see darkchocolate today and got all errors cleared. There was no errors which seemed like it caused the problem I am having.

Once all errors had been cleared I stil got the same issues (I currently have pre-LCI xenon's (D2S) bulbs as I described above so doesn't look like there is any underlying issue with the car.

I'll do another quick test with Sas' cables again but looks like I'll still be getting the same error with the brake pedal and rear light error.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Went to see darkchocolate today and got all errors cleared. There was no errors which seemed like it caused the problem I am having.

Once all errors had been cleared I stil got the same issues (I currently have pre-LCI xenon's (D2S) bulbs as I described above so doesn't look like there is any underlying issue with the car.

I'll do another quick test with Sas' cables again but looks like I'll still be getting the same error with the brake pedal and rear light error.
Chances are, you'll probably need a resistor to go across the wires for the AE bulb. Assuming the new AE bulb draws 10W the reistance of that bulb is lower than that of a W5W bulb, based off of some quick calculations, you would need to put about a 43-44 ohm resistor in parallel with the AE bulb on each side in order for the car to see the proper resistance to think the original AE bulbs are in place. I will run some simulations later tonight to confirm the resistor value, but based on a quick calculation, that resistor should make the car think the original bulbs are in place. The problem that comes with that though, is the car will need to send more power to the bulb to make it illuminate, not sure if this will cause issues with power draw tricking the i-drive. In theory, if you used an LED AE bulb which simulates the OEM bulb but draws less current, then added the load resistor to fool the i-drive, you should be good to go.

This is all assuming your car was originally a pre-lci halogen going to LCI halogen. Assuming all other things equal, you should only need to add a resistor to the AE bulb as that is the only thing changing. Without knowing exactly what the I-drive is looking for, its hard to say what will cause errors. In current form, assuming the 2 AE wires have been wired in parallel to the single new AE bulb, the car is providing the same current as before but only seeing half of the resistance it should.

I have a pair of Sas' cables in hand, but I don't have any halogen LCI housings here to do any testing. I had originally planned on having the housings here at the same time the cables arrived, but my clutch recently started slipping, so the LCI swap is on hold.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:46 AM
Members

My Ride: 520d M Sport Titanium Silver Retro fit's - Professional Sat Nav Footwell Lights BMW Bluetooth LCI Halogens with HID

B6S4 you are the man

Hopefully this will sort the issue, i am finding the fault on my car is not consistant in the morning i get more faults than during the day i dont have the LED AE just the stock halogen 10w AE.

Thank you for trying to help us all sort this
Old 11-05-2010, 02:16 AM
Senior Members

Sas tried a LED angel eye bulb hengot from John but IIRC it threw up errors
Old 11-05-2010, 05:17 AM
Members

My Ride: '04 530i 6MT '04 Audi S4 6MT

Sas tried a LED angel eye bulb hengot from John but IIRC it threw up errors

I'm betting if he used a load resistor, there woudlnt be any errors.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:46 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by B6S4
I'm betting if he used a load resistor, there woudlnt be any errors.
Do you have any suggestions on what I could do.

All I get is a rear light right faliure everytime the brake pedal is held for 5 secs or more. I did get parking light right side faliure as well but this was now and again
Old 11-05-2010, 05:48 AM
Members

I think B6S4 is on the money ive read this on the Audi forums a while ago with a differant project but i cant find it now... i think we should give it a go if B6S4 is willing and can tell us what to use and how to wire it

Quick Reply: Pre LCI Halogen to LCI Halogen conversion