E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Operation Blackout

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems
Model Year: 2008

After previously plasti-dipping some small parts of my car (silver strip on front bumper, driver side and trunk keylocks, and 535i badge) I decided try it out on my stock 124s. Down the road I want to get new rims and it?s either going to be gunmetal or black so thought this would be a cheap way to see what black will look like. Overall it went pretty well. I had to redo the first tire as I held the can a little too far away so the texture was rougher than it should have been. The final result was very smooth and I?m very happy with it. I put on about 5-6 coats each. I also put black vinyl overlays on the roundels so my car is pretty much blacked out now. I still have a M5 spoiler I hope to install this coming weekend.

photos were taken early evening so apologies the lighting wasn't that great.

before and after shot

pic of back wheel and smoked tails and blacked out numbers (before I added the roundel overlays)

Here's a shot of the front with matte black grilles and silver strip on bumper blacked out
Old 03-27-2012, 03:34 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

all blk everything always looks good brother!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:01 AM
Members

My Ride: 535i Sports/Premium package, Sports transmission w/ paddle shifters, Tinted tails/side markers/reflectors, Blacked out emblems

Originally Posted by dploy
So are you applying it with a brush?
No just the spray can that it comes in.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 Black e60 550i

Love the look. I'm hoping to do mine this weekend! Dropping mine off in the morning to get new R1Concept brakes and a summer set of new SumiTomo's put on. If I get it back this weekend I will get out the Plasti-Dip. I have been debating like most what it new Black Rims would look like so this is a great way to find out for $20! I will hopefully post pics after I'm done. I too replaced the Kidney's last summer. Taking it to the track the end of the month so I need to get her prepped! Thanks for the post.
Old 04-12-2012, 02:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

They look nice. I would have never known they were Plastidip.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 AM
Members

I plan on blacking the trunk key socket as soon as possible, thanks for the idea. I bought the bumperplug key plug for the driver's door lock and it looks awesome.

I have the chrome trim around the windows and I'm wondering if I could do a clear matte wrap on them. Maybe the chrome kidney surrounds could get the treatment too. I'd more keen to keep the silver strip in the front bumper if I could get the other light parts to match it a bit better.

Anyone seen chrome parts wrapped with matte vinyl?
Old 04-12-2012, 10:48 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Msport

haven't seen chrome with vinyl. I was wondering how long the plasti dip lasts for, anyone know? I was thinking of powder coating my 124's but gonna be a daddy soon so that's where all the dinero's are going.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Members

not a fan of plasti dip wheels :thumbsdown:
powder coating it will be better... or simply just save some money and get new wheels..
IMHO!!! good luck sir
Old 04-12-2012, 11:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by wtlb
They look nice. I would have never known they were Plastidip.
Thanks! It really turned out better than I expected

Originally Posted by Justin66mp
haven't seen chrome with vinyl. I was wondering how long the plasti dip lasts for, anyone know? I was thinking of powder coating my 124's but gonna be a daddy soon so that's where all the dinero's are going.
i've heard guys say they've had it on for months to a year without issue. I've had mine on for a couple weeks now and so far no issues.

Originally Posted by jg525i
not a fan of plasti dip wheels :thumbsdown:
powder coating it will be better... or simply just save some money and get new wheels..
IMHO!!! good luck sir
I did this as a test to see how I'd like black wheels on my car. Successful test and I think I'll keep them like this until I decide on what new wheels to get. This is definitely a quick cheap way to change the look though.