E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

NOS Octane Booster

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:00 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors
Thumbs up

First, let me start by saying that I'm not a fan of octane boosters. I think many are of dubious value, designed to give the youngin' with the stock, fart-muffle red civic with the "R" & "Vtec" stickers and badges an ego boost. I try to fill up on a mix of 91 (our sorry ass standard level in Cali stations) and 100 octane race fuel from a station in Agoura Hills off the 101. Lately though, time constraints and distance to the station has left me on 91 only. The car seems to run a lil rougher, slower, and isn't as ballzy as she has been. For giggles, I went out and got a couple canisters of NOS Racing formula octane booster. Somehow, some way, I noticed a difference. She seemed a lil peppier, a lil livelier. So I ran out that tank, and went back to 91 (Chevron edition lol). She seemed to have lost a lil again. Burned through that tank, added the second bottle, and she seems to have a nice stride again. Subjective? You bet. However, even if it?s mental, the perceived result is worth the $10 buck hit to me. Anyone else try octane boosters? Any praises or horror stories? I'm curious.....
Old 02-23-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Really? thats interesting... Try this the next 5 tanks have a friend go fill the tank for you and give him/her 5 bottles of NOS... tell them to use it 3/5 times and record which tanks they put it in and after 5 tanks can you tell the difference which tanks had it and which tank didnt?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='535184' date='Feb 23 2008, 08:07 PM
Really? thats interesting... Try this the next 5 tanks have a friend go fill the tank for you and give him/her 5 bottles of NOS... tell them to use it 3/5 times and record which tanks they put it in and after 5 tanks can you tell the difference which tanks had it and which tank didnt?

Now THAT is a great idea, with only one caveat - she'd have to DRIVE my car!!! Oh HELL no!!! J/K
Old 02-23-2008, 07:09 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='535185' date='Feb 23 2008, 08:08 PM
Now THAT is a great idea, with only one caveat - she'd have to DRIVE my car!!! Oh HELL no!!! J/K
HAHAHAHA

29) advancedlogic - Titantium Silver 545 (TENTATIVE)

are you still tentative for the 3/8 meet?
Old 02-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EBMCS03' post='535186' date='Feb 23 2008, 08:09 PM
HAHAHAHA

29) advancedlogic - Titantium Silver 545 (TENTATIVE)

are you still tentative for the 3/8 meet?
Unfortunately. I fly out to train folks at the Hyatt in Calgary tomorrow. I return Friday with the possibility of a trip to the Palace Resorts in Cancun a week from today. If I have to go, I'm not scheduled to return until the 14th. Nothings definitive yet, so I'm kinda in limbo on planning.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't know too much about these boosters but I did find a couple threads about them:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47892
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=41169
Old 02-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Senior Members

Watch this review by Fifth Gear of octance boosters, including the NOS booster you are talking about. In simple words they say they are worthless. They did tests on four brands and they actually reduced power.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JetBlack5OC' post='535201' date='Feb 23 2008, 09:33 PM
Watch this review by Fifth Gear of octance boosters, including the NOS booster you are talking about. In simple words they say they are worthless. They did tests on four brands and they actually reduced power.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jbcCr2ll3c

OH YA! I remember watching that episode... They even had one comparing types of gas.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Contributors

I thought so guys. It's amazing how perceived benefits can enhance the driving experience . However, science and actual testing are far more accurate then the butt-dyno. With that, I think my experiences with boosters shall end when the needle hits "E". Thanks for the heads up guys
Old 02-23-2008, 10:28 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by advancedlogic' post='535185' date='Feb 24 2008, 04:08 AM
Another idea, You fill up but give her the bottles and ask her to put then into the tank (or not) on your return. Make sure you dont see the bottles at all.

Quick Reply: NOS Octane Booster