E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next headlight mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 10:00 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Don't be shy with the pics when you start your build!
Old 07-30-2012, 10:14 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I am reviving the old idea I had when I did my headlights last year that did not work out.
I was looking up the old thread and It looks like you were definitely on to something, how exactly will your new parts improve on this look, what do you think was wrong with the illuminated fins v.1? also do you have any night time pics with them on and installed on the car

Next headlight mod!-fins.jpg
Old 07-30-2012, 10:21 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Looks like EL tape would be good for the fins. They produce a nice even light in a strip.
Old 07-30-2012, 10:44 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by pradden
Don't be shy with the pics when you start your build!
Haha I will try. Honestly most of the time when I am working, I get so involved that I forget to take pics.

Originally Posted by spediegunz
I was looking up the old thread and It looks like you were definitely on to something, how exactly will your new parts improve on this look, what do you think was wrong with the illuminated fins v.1? also do you have any night time pics with them on and installed on the car

Attachment 135355
First of all, it will be even all across. Secondly, I wasn't quite happy to how that looked a bit Christmas-like since you can see where light is emitting from the singular LEDs. Too much gap in between. Thirdly, despite how that picture looks, it was rather dim compared to the Orions in real life. Not to mention the "white" EL wire is actually pink when off, lol.

Originally Posted by balbs
Looks like EL tape would be good for the fins. They produce a nice even light in a strip.
EL wire you mean? I have looked into that, unfortunately the idea of it losing "decaying" and losing its color is not all that appealing to me. Additionally, each wire will have to be custom cut, which I am not sure how that exactly works (probably only from the manufacturer). Lastly, from what I have seen, they are not as bright as I would want them to be for day time visibility. Would probably be how the current pre-LCI and LCI xenon's (aftermarket) angel eyes' brightness would be, which wouldn't be acceptable to me.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:08 AM
Contributors

EL wire you mean? I have looked into that, unfortunately the idea of it losing "decaying" and losing its color is not all that appealing to me. Additionally, each wire will have to be custom cut, which I am not sure how that exactly works (probably only from the manufacturer). Lastly, from what I have seen, they are not as bright as I would want them to be for day time visibility. Would probably be how the current pre-LCI and LCI xenon's (aftermarket) angel eyes' brightness would be, which wouldn't be acceptable to me.
Nope...EL Tape. I use it on one of my RC helicopters for night flying.

http://www.ellumiglow.com/EL-Tape-s/106.htm

Yes they are better at night...However brighter than EL wire.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 AM
Contributors

Ooh, interesting. I will have to read up on this and see if I can find some day time shots.

Would you say it's daytime visible under sun light?
Old 07-30-2012, 11:27 AM
Contributors

Ooh, interesting. I will have to read up on this and see if I can find some day time shots.

Would you say it's daytime visible under sun light?
Not my heli (and a bad pic) but here's an example:

Next headlight mod!-helieltape.jpg

Although it's not a daytime pic, the room it's in has normal room lighting. It's brighter than EL wire. It comes in 1/4" width strips as well as up to even 3" widths. The sweet thing is it can be powered from 9V to 12V
Old 07-30-2012, 11:36 AM
Contributors

Humm, I went through 22 pages of Google image and was not able to find a good outdoor picture with EL tape. I am inclined to guess that it's really meant for night time application. And actually, even looking at the night time picture, it doesn't quite carry the same intensity as I am looking for.

Balbs, maybe if you have a chance to snap a pic of your chopper with it outdoor in the daytime, that might help me get a better understanding of its brightness.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Contributors

So I just did some more digging, it seems like the general consensus is that EL tape is not suitable for daytime. I suppose that explains why there are no outdoor daytime pics, haha.

Though I do think this would be pretty awesome for ambient lighting in cars though.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
Contributors

I got a pair of EL tape in red but never incorporated into my headlights. Haven't tested them.

Quick Reply: Next headlight mod!