E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Next headlight mod!

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:37 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
yea 320 is a lot. if its what you want do it. though blacking out that section did dull the lighting significantly.
This mod, at least the implementation of it, wouldn't be suitable for pre-LCI headlights. Could get creative and make it work though, but think this is going to look a lot better on LCI's.

With that said, $320 is just for the 64" of LEDs. I anticipate some cutting, wiring, and soldering to be involved. So at the end of the day, with labor, this mod (minus the fee of cutting headlights open and seal), will probably be done by a select few. And few might even be an overstatement.

Although... there are two people that I have spoke to on the phone that are looking forward to it. So stay tuned!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:39 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
see what happens when you go to autocon... you get an itch that no doctor can cure.
Haha. This was actually an old project of mine from last year. It just never quite made it due to no suitable parts to accomplish what I was looking to do.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:10 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Man, you are a tru innovator. Please photo-document the process along the way. ...Not saying, reveal any tricks of the trade, but its cool and inspiring for us to see it all come together!

Good Luck!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:27 AM
Senior Members

Although it will suck having to seal the lights again and risking condensation. 2 positive thoughts come to mind about reopening your lights, a. while you work on your fins you can implement your opaque orions to the mix. B. Or you can wait for the Orion v4s then crack em open and work on your fins.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

Originally Posted by spediegunz
a. while you work on your fins you can implement your opaque orions to the mix.
+1 This should look BAD ASS.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:09 AM
Senior Members

we already spoke, so you know i'm on board with this brotha!!
Old 07-26-2012, 07:18 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
Although it will suck having to seal the lights again and risking condensation. 2 positive thoughts come to mind about reopening your lights, a. while you work on your fins you can implement your opaque orions to the mix. B. Or you can wait for the Orion v4s then crack em open and work on your fins.
That is true. I was actually thinking about this earlier.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2012 535i M-Sport

I've been excited about this project since you first posted those teaser imagines however long ago. Can't wait to see how it looks!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i sport pak. all the other goodies.. MODS: M5 front, sides, aFe throttle body spacer, RPI Red scoop, amber angle eyes, powder coated sport rims, tinted tail lights. smoked side blinkers, color of car and rims roundels, real carbon fiber roof spoiler, 550i number flat black, LED license plate lights, MTX 12' sub, dyno mat, tinted Windows, flat black grill, flat black exhaust tips, light smoke headlight tint, foged out eyelash, velocity booster.

I can see it now! how well do you think its going to be lit up? brightens wise..
Old 07-26-2012, 03:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Baggman
I can see it now! how well do you think its going to be lit up? brightens wise..
To be honest, I am not entirely sure myself. Being that these will be very densely packed PLCC2 SMD's, I would imagine the only time you would be able to see the tiny gaps between the LEDs are you when you are upclose.

However, there is something that I would have to try to solve when I do get the product and install is the yellow phosphorous coating. On top of my head, I believe it would be hard to hide the look of it when it's off. But we'll see, maybe it will be such a slight detail that I don't care about it once I have it on.

Quick Reply: Next headlight mod!