E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Dinan Software for 535i

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='543886' date='Mar 12 2008, 08:52 PM
I am going to wait to decide whether to mod my car as far boost/ecu goes. I was one of the guys who built the WRX's when they first came out. That was different because the cost of replacing a short block was cheap, we almost always upgraded the turbo and we knew we were voiding the waranty the day we started all of the mods. The N54 engine is extremely easy to hop up, a JB2 cost $379 and 45 minutes of your time and you have a really fast car but it will void the waranty if there is an issue that could be related to the mod. The Dinan flash is no different. BMW will void waranty covg and you will have to rely on Dinan. Here is a couple examples; You develop a wastegate actuator problem, with the flash BMW will probably deny repair and you will have to go to Dinan for help. Well there is a service bulletin out for this problem so Dinan might also deny. You could be stuck in the middle. Let's say you develop a tranny problem or clutch problem, is Dinan going to pay? Because I'm pretty sure BMW is going to deny because of the increased power. I think the 335 guys are going to push these issues going forward and BMW will likely get like subaru and become very defensive about waranty issues on modded turbo cars. i am going to wait and see where all of this goes for the next 6 months. Once you flash your car I think it will be marked and that could have a profound effect on resale value. I guess the bottom line is how much do you trust Dinan now and for the term of your new car waranty.

The problem with wear and tear on turbos has to do with increased boost at high rpm levels. One reason our cars are strong on the bottom end is the small turbos and that is the same reason they fall off up top. You can push more boost up top but it is hard on the turbos and relatively inefficient due to the heat. If you install larger turbos you develop turbo lag but they will be much stronger up top. The way I think of it is that you don't really want to run your turbo at it's absolute max and when you are pushing 14-15 psi with our cars you are probably doing that. One area that we should be careful about is aftermarket exhaust systems. Technically when you reduce back preasure on a turbo engine it lets the turbo spin up quicker. If BMW starts having turbo life problems on these cars it would not suprise me if they use exhaust systems to deny waranties. Now if BMW performance comes out with their own system like subaru does then they will have a hard time denying waranties when comparable systems are used.

Just my 2 cents,

Bob
I have not heard of any complaints against warranties relative to Dinan products, and the internet is a big place. The Z8 issue was isolated and Dinan would either put the car back into factory condition or buy the cars from those that were not happy with that. That sounds like their warranty was pretty solid and that they went to great lenghts to satisfy customers. My SMG transmission was replaced by BMW and the 545 SMG was a very limited run car- perhaps as limited as the run of Z8's, did that devalue my 545? if I wasn't happy about that would BMW offer to buy the car? Come on guys...
The actual turbo has one moving part, they have been around for almost 100 years and are very durable except for dirty oil from oil changing neglect and spining them into oblivian.
Like 535xiT said, if you have evidence concerning turbo failures and Dinan upgrades- please post.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:58 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by 535xiT' post='549726' date='Mar 23 2008, 10:38 PM
My 535xiT was delivered two weeks ago and went to the local authorized Dinan BMW dealer for the ECU upgrade. After two hours of trying to upgrade they were unsuccessful. Dinan told them that my car was too new and that perhaps the April 11th upgrade to the program will work. Didn't know there was such a big difference in ECU's on this engine.

Anyway keep the impressions coming and I'll add mine post upgrade.

Bad Bimr I'd like to know where you get your information about warranties. This is not what Dinan or BMW have to say on the matter. Please post your source for your comments. Thanks.

Do as you like. Just remember when you do the Dinan software flash that any other horsepower upgrade better be from Dinan. If not kiss your Dinan warranty goodbye. Let's say you get the DInan software and later add a non-Dinan CAI or exhaust. Your cars runs great but one day the turbo says goodbye. BMW warranty will not cover so you have to use the Dinan warranty. Dinan will say their software was not designed to work with your non-Dinan parts and they will not warranty the failed components. Don't take my word for it, search this forum and other BMW forums to see what I say is true. Better yet call Dinan and ask them what will happen in that situation. If they say they will honor the warranty (doubtful) ask for it in writing.

Like I said many times before doing any software flash to these cars be it Dinan, AA or other will take a toll on the turbos. Let's say your car makes it to 50K miles and all is OK and at 51K miles the turbos go. Guess who's out some serious cash. In the end keep the car stock and enjoy it.

BP
Old 03-24-2008, 07:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i: June 6th start build, complete June 17th, at NY Port July 5th, at dealer July 10th, took delivery Friday July 13- Plantimum Bronze/Natural Brown Leather/Light Poplar, Sport Package, Sport Auto, Active Steering, Premium Package, CWP & PDC. Dinan Performance Software 384hp & 421 ft/lbs.

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='549928' date='Mar 24 2008, 10:58 AM
Do as you like. Just remember when you do the Dinan software flash that any other horsepower upgrade better be from Dinan. If not kiss your Dinan warranty goodbye. Let's say you get the DInan software and later add a non-Dinan CAI or exhaust. Your cars runs great but one day the turbo says goodbye. BMW warranty will not cover so you have to use the Dinan warranty. Dinan will say their software was not designed to work with your non-Dinan parts and they will not warranty the failed components. Don't take my word for it, search this forum and other BMW forums to see what I say is true. Better yet call Dinan and ask them what will happen in that situation. If they say they will honor the warranty (doubtful) ask for it in writing.

Like I said many times before doing any software flash to these cars be it Dinan, AA or other will take a toll on the turbos. Let's say your car makes it to 50K miles and all is OK and at 51K miles the turbos go. Guess who's out some serious cash. In the end keep the car stock and enjoy it.

BP
You are absolutely correct, and that point is clearly spelled out and disclosed in the Dinan warranty. I keep my cars for three years and 36,000 miles and then get a new one. I don't usually mod my cars but the combination of doing only a download and still being covered for 4yrs/50,000 miles was the reason I did it this time. I am not planning any other mods, but if you wanted to change the exhaust, I would get it from Dinan.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
Members

My Ride: 535xiT

+1 on what pannetta said ... and then you can always downgrade if you want.

By the way I don't consider much that I find on the interweb to be factual so in reviewing what I find here to be interesting information but mostly just regurgitated stuff by someone who has an opinion. Way too often when asking for INFORMATION what you get is OPINION. There is a huge difference.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:31 AM
Members

got my car back and the upgrade is tremendous. if you are in southern cali and need this upgrade, i suggest bullet motorsports in santa ana. bmsracecars.com
check them out.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:41 AM
Members

My Ride: 535xiT

Originally Posted by chipsroy' post='551794' date='Mar 27 2008, 01:31 PM
got my car back and the upgrade is tremendous. if you are in southern cali and need this upgrade, i suggest bullet motorsports in santa ana. bmsracecars.com
check them out.

Welllllllll ...... do tell us more.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

their site needs to be updated. I have been there , its high end establishment, where else can you wait and play xbox or ps2 maybe 3?
Old 03-27-2008, 10:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by chipsroy' post='551794' date='Mar 27 2008, 02:31 PM
check them out.
Yes, lets hear more. Any kills?
Old 03-27-2008, 01:35 PM
Members

Has anyone called Dinan and asked them why BMW dealers who sold their products in the past are now backing away from them (Dinan). I have had discussions with two local dealers who told me the same thing "We are no longer doing Dinan, waiting for the new BMW performance parts". Does that mean that there really are performance parts coming from BMW or has BMW told their dealers to distance themselves from Dinan? I don't know the answer but it raises a good question. My experience was that I took delivery of a 335 in November and the salesman was encouraging me to do the Dinan flash. I was in the same dealers service dept a couple weeks ago and a service employee said they weren't doing them anymore. When I was at another dealer (Penske owned) I asked about the flash and they said they are not doing them anymore, wait for the new BMW parts. Of course there are no details on BMW performance parts for the 535.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='551902' date='Mar 27 2008, 05:35 PM
Has anyone called Dinan and asked them why BMW dealers who sold their products in the past are now backing away from them (Dinan). I have had discussions with two local dealers who told me the same thing "We are no longer doing Dinan, waiting for the new BMW performance parts". Does that mean that there really are performance parts coming from BMW or has BMW told their dealers to distance themselves from Dinan? I don't know the answer but it raises a good question. My experience was that I took delivery of a 335 in November and the salesman was encouraging me to do the Dinan flash. I was in the same dealers service dept a couple weeks ago and a service employee said they weren't doing them anymore. When I was at another dealer (Penske owned) I asked about the flash and they said they are not doing them anymore, wait for the new BMW parts. Of course there are no details on BMW performance parts for the 535.
This has been discussed previously but I heard about the BMW performance parts back in July and was anxiously awaiting them. I had subsequently heard that BMW will indeed expand their 3 series performance parts but will not be bringing to market five series parts because not enough of us modify our cars. The 3 series guys apparently do however. I have a lease and was 6 months into it when Dinan came out with their software and I was not going to wait to see "if and when" BMW was actually going to do something.
You don't need to be a BMW dealer to have a Dinan franchise, nor does BMWNA have anything to do with individual BMW dealers being an authorized Dinan dealer or not.
The only way Dinan will get hurt is if BMW actually does come out with a competing line of performance products.

Quick Reply: New Dinan Software for 535i