E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Dinan Software for 535i

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Individual, DVD Package, HUD, Bluetooth, Comfort Seats, SR, etc

i just wont feel comfortable pushing the PSI boost to 14, but hey the rush is worth it.....post some vid's when done.....
Old 03-11-2008, 05:11 PM
Members

Originally Posted by chipsroy' post='542720' date='Mar 10 2008, 09:22 PM
my 535i is at the dealership right now after the Dinan installation. I absolutely love the upgrade. The only issue is that there was something wrong with the waste gate or the turbo from the factory. increasing 8 lbs of boost to nearly 14 lbs just triggered the problem. Dinan is the only way to go, they did all the work to get me the service I needed to get my car repaired. I am glad that I did not go cheap and get the other products that are available on the market. If I went with another company, I can assure you that the warranty would be voided and the repairs would come out of pocket. "Not cheap!" TRUST ME
There might be some issues pushing the boost that far. I read similar problems with wastegates on the N54 website when they were pushing boost over 12lb or so. There are a lot of things happening in the turbos as far as the waste gates and boost control goes, it's only a matter of time before we are changing turbos or simply go to one big turbo. Good thing you did the Dinan deal now. How do you like the way the car drives? Any down side other than the $2k?

Bob
Old 03-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i, 1995 M3

Originally Posted by bobster52' post='543241' date='Mar 11 2008, 09:11 PM
There might be some issues pushing the boost that far. I read similar problems with wastegates on the N54 website when they were pushing boost over 12lb or so. There are a lot of things happening in the turbos as far as the waste gates and boost control goes, it's only a matter of time before we are changing turbos or simply go to one big turbo. Good thing you did the Dinan deal now. How do you like the way the car drives? Any down side other than the $2k?

Bob
I think will we start seeing failures in these engines. BMW designed the engine well but pushing that much boost out of those tiny turbos is going to take a toll on them. I am sure there will be many people who will get burned when BMW does not cover the work under warranty. I always like pushing the limits in everything, like my overclocked CPU and GPU. But at the end of the day if they go boom I am out a couple hundred dollars. On the other hand with the car you are pretty much screwed. That is why the 550 overall is a better buy then a modded 535. You pay more but you have a warranty and piece of mind.

BP
Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' post='542619' date='Mar 10 2008, 08:12 PM
Was at my dealership today, which is a also a Dinan Authorized Dealer, and talked to my service advisor about adding this software to my new 535i which is being delivered in a couple of weeks. He highly recommended the software and said that the dealership would stand behind the full BMW maintenance and warranty if they install the software.

My 535i will be a six speed manual, and this software would take the horsepower from 300 to 384 and the tourque to 421 ft/lbs. (actually, according to folks at the dealership the actual horsepower of the I6TT is more like 330 but was listed as 300 for marketing purposes so it wouldn't encroach on sales the E46 M3 and E60 550i). So, this software would most likely be an effective uplift of 50+ horses.

Does anyone here have any experience with this Dinan upgrade? It sounds like a great deal for $1999.
=====================================

Sounds good!!! Would he be willing to put that is writing that BMW would honor your warranty if you use the 3rd party Dinan chip on you new BMW? If so, I would do it in a heart beat! This is new to me, and I have not bought from Dinan, yet, but I heard from memebers that uses them, that Dinan sales great BMW parts, and is a well respected company!!

Good Luck, and wish you the best!!

Eddie Presley

PS,
I did not mean to rain on you parade, its just my Atlanta BMW dealer is just real sticky about me using anyone else but the genuine BMW OEM Parts, so if you don't mind keep me and the rest of the forum posted of your outcome! I am about to put quad exhaust on my 530i and the BMW south parts manager is trying to tell me, doing that may void my BMW warranty. I said you must mean the exhaust warranty, he said no, it might involve more than that. I am wondering if anyone here at e60 forum had ran into such when putting quads on their 525, 530, 545i's?
Old 03-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by Presley348' post='543309' date='Mar 11 2008, 10:27 PM
=====================================

Sounds good!!! Would he be willing to put that is writing that BMW would honor your warranty if you use the 3rd party Dinan chip on you new BMW? If so, I would do it in a heart beat! This is new to me, and I have not bought from Dinan, yet, but I heard from memebers that uses them, that Dinan sales great BMW parts, and is a well respected company!!

Good Luck, and wish you the best!!

Eddie Presley

PS,
I did not mean to rain on you parade, its just my Atlanta BMW dealer is just real sticky about me using anyone else but the genuine BMW OEM Parts, so if you don't mind keep me and the rest of the forum posted of your outcome! I am about to put quad exhaust on my 530i and the BMW south parts manager is trying to tell me, doing that may void my BMW warranty. I said you must mean the exhaust warranty, he said no, it might involve more than that. I am wondering if anyone here at e60 forum had ran into such when putting quads on their 525, 530, 545i's?
I didn't take it as you raining on my parade at all. These are the same concerns I had.

My dealer is also a Dinan dealer and is installing the parts themselves and holding the warranties. They explained to me that almost any third party mod would nullify the warranty except for Dinan. I haven't had the mod installed yet (I don't even have my car yet, it just got off the boat), and I plan to read and understand all the small print before I do it. But I've talked to the Service Advisor and Service Manager and both were totally supportive of installing the software and supporting the BMW Warranty.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Members

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' post='543314' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:40 PM
I didn't take it as you raining on my parade at all. These are the same concerns I had.

My dealer is also a Dinan dealer and is installing the parts themselves and holding the warranties. They explained to me that almost any third party mod would nullify the warranty except for Dinan. I haven't had the mod installed yet (I don't even have my car yet, it just got off the boat), and I plan to read and understand all the small print before I do it. But I've talked to the Service Advisor and Service Manager and both were totally supportive of installing the software and supporting the BMW Warranty.
The one thing I'd be concerned about is that apparently many dealers are distancing themselves from Dinan. Two different ex Dinan dealers have told me they are no longer doing Dinan and waiting for BMW's own performance mods. I am holding off on the Dinan flash to see where this all goes. Seems that 11lb of boost will make 350hp and be easier on all components (than Dinan14lb). I think in the end with exhaust mods and ecu tuning done to each, the 535's will be faster than the 550's.
Bob
Old 03-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Sapphire Black on Black M5 - loaded sans soft close doors

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='543262' date='Mar 11 2008, 08:05 PM
I think will we start seeing failures in these engines. BMW designed the engine well but pushing that much boost out of those tiny turbos is going to take a toll on them. I am sure there will be many people who will get burned when BMW does not cover the work under warranty. I always like pushing the limits in everything, like my overclocked CPU and GPU. But at the end of the day if they go boom I am out a couple hundred dollars. On the other hand with the car you are pretty much screwed. That is why the 550 overall is a better buy then a modded 535. You pay more but you have a warranty and piece of mind.

BP
Ok, it is late so I'll bite...
First off you say that we are going to start seeing failures of the engines and then you mention that the turbos are going to fail because they are pushing too much boost out.

The turbos spool and provide boost - the wastegate dumps this extra boost above a certain pressure - so the turbos are not doing any extra work, but the engine is getting more boost - so the engine might blow up but the turbos shouldn't.

However, Dinan is a reputable mfg and I doubt they would put something out that blows up the engine - the main reason being is that they provide the warranty!!!

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty
Old 03-12-2008, 04:04 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by doug_999' post='543344' date='Mar 12 2008, 12:36 AM
Ok, it is late so I'll bite...
First off you say that we are going to start seeing failures of the engines and then you mention that the turbos are going to fail because they are pushing too much boost out.

The turbos spool and provide boost - the wastegate dumps this extra boost above a certain pressure - so the turbos are not doing any extra work, but the engine is getting more boost - so the engine might blow up but the turbos shouldn't.

However, Dinan is a reputable mfg and I doubt they would put something out that blows up the engine - the main reason being is that they provide the warranty!!!

http://www.dinancars.com/bmw/warranty
I don't think you understand turbos that well. The wasetgate regulates how much boost the turbos produce. The wastegate does not dump the extra boost (blow off valve do this). At a preset psi (via spring and/or electronic control) the wastegate opens and allows the exhaust gases to pass through, this stops the turbos from spooling any more and thus maintains the preset psi. If the preset psi is set higher the turbos must spool more then before to get to that higher psi before the wastegate opens. So yes the turbos are doing allot more work. A turbo at 8psi is doing allot more work then that same turbo at 14psi. The turbos on these cars were not designed for 14psi. Sure they will do it but for how long and at what consequences/cost?

When I said failures in these engines I did not mean only the engines themselves. It was a general statement. Sure you will may see an occasional engine fail but the majority of the failures will be turbo and heat related.

I have read the Dinan warranty however did you know that Dinan can void your Dinan warranty if you use other parts on the car that are not Dinan or OEM BMW? Let's say you want to upgrade your exhaust to get the most of your new found power, well better use a Dinan exhaust or your Dinan warranty is pretty much toast. If your turbos fail Dinan will blame the exhaust was the culprit and that their software was not designed to be used with it thus your Dinan warranty is useless. Now pay for the repair.

If Dinan is such a great reputable company then how can you explain what they did to the many E39 M5's and Z8's that was sent to them a few years ago. Do a google search to see how reputable they were/are.

BP
Old 03-12-2008, 05:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 2005 545i, Black on Black, cold weather pkg, Logic 7 sound, steptronic.

Originally Posted by Bad Bimr' post='543453' date='Mar 12 2008, 06:04 AM
I don't think you understand turbos that well. The wasetgate regulates how much boost the turbos produce. The wastegate does not dump the extra boost (blow off valve do this). At a preset psi (via spring and/or electronic control) the wastegate opens and allows the exhaust gases to pass through, this stops the turbos from spooling any more and thus maintains the preset psi. If the preset psi is set higher the turbos must spool more then before to get to that higher psi before the wastegate opens. So yes the turbos are doing allot more work. A turbo at 8psi is doing allot more work then that same turbo at 14psi. The turbos on these cars were not designed for 14psi. Sure they will do it but for how long and at what consequences/cost?

When I said failures in these engines I did not mean only the engines themselves. It was a general statement. Sure you will may see an occasional engine fail but the majority of the failures will be turbo and heat related.

I have read the Dinan warranty however did you know that Dinan can void your Dinan warranty if you use other parts on the car that are not Dinan or OEM BMW? Let's say you want to upgrade your exhaust to get the most of your new found power, well better use a Dinan exhaust or your Dinan warranty is pretty much toast. If your turbos fail Dinan will blame the exhaust was the culprit and that their software was not designed to be used with it thus your Dinan warranty is useless. Now pay for the repair.

If Dinan is such a great reputable company then how can you explain what they did to the many E39 M5's and Z8's that was sent to them a few years ago. Do a google search to see how reputable they were/are.

BP

Do you have any links? I can't seem to find anything about what you're referencing here.

I'm still researching, but I've found that Dinan has an excellent reputation when it comes to making sure it's boost mods do not overtax engines, and my service advisor is a very credible guy when talking about whats good/bad for these cars. He has echoed what you say about warranties being voided for having any other third party products on the car, but when it comes to Dinan he is 100% an advocate.

The only negative I see is that BMWNA might not CPO a car with the Dinan mod, and I only say this because they will not even CPO their own stock M5 even if it's in mint condition.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:51 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DFWRaider' post='543481' date='Mar 12 2008, 09:25 AM
Do you have any links? I can't seem to find anything about what you're referencing here.

Im sti'll researching, but I've found that Dinan has an excellent reputation when it comes to making sure it's boost mods do not overtax engines, and my service advisor is a very credible guy when talking about whats good/bad for these cars. He has echoed what you say about warranties being voided for having any other third party products on the car, but when it comes to Dinan he is 100% an advocate.

The only negative I see is that BMWNA might not CPO a car with the Dinan mod, and I only say this because they will not even CPO their own stock M5 even if it's in mint condition.
http://www.bmwz8.us/vbb/showthread.php?p=3...=linear#post343

Basically people took their Z8's to Dinan to get modded. Since the E39 M5 and Z8 used the same engine Dinan used the same headers on both cars. Well although the engines are the same the headers are indeed different between the cars. That did not matter for Dinan. Instead of fabricating different headers they cut the welds in the firewall to make the headers fit. Steve Dinan blamed one of his shop employees. This employee made the call to "adjust" the sheet metal for clearance of the M5 headers to fit the Z8 thinking it would be an almost direct fit. BMW dropped the warranties and the cars became worthless. In the end and under tons of pressure Dinan tried to fix the problem by offering to buy the cars back. Too bad those cars were no longer built (limited run) and could not be replaced so if you wanted the car you were F'd.

Don't get me wrong Dinan does some nice things. But don't think his driving force is anything but the all mighty (well not lately) dollar. He saw a market that was growing and needed to enter thus his software comes out. If I am not wrong BMW and Dinan have all but parted ways as of last year.

BP

Quick Reply: New Dinan Software for 535i