E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Attempt to Assess Gains from 545i Mods:

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 01:10 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i, Alpine White, Sport Package

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='220360' date='Jan 7 2006, 01:04 AM
Another thing, you guys are skinny. How tall are you guys? I'm 215 but 6'3. If I were able to gain another 10lbs of lean mass, I'd be happy.
I'm 6'4" and about 230#, lean. Of course I would love to add another 10# of lean mass as well.

I am thinking of adding some bolt-ons myself. Where is the best source to find reliable information on bolt-ons ? (other than this site, that is)
Old 01-08-2006, 01:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by RealThor' post='221064
Another thing, you guys are skinny. How tall are you guys? I'm 215 but 6'3. If I were able to gain another 10lbs of lean mass, I'd be happy.
I'm 6'4" and about 230#, lean. Of course I would love to add another 10# of lean mass as well.

I am thinking of adding some bolt-ons myself. Where is the best source to find reliable information on bolt-ons ? (other than this site, that is)
[/quote]
Welcome RT. I would start with all the threads that I linked at the outset of this thread. And, you could check out the Dinan site; there is a link in my sig. There is no reliable info about bolt-ons that I am aware of except here since most is available from manufacturers (although I believe that Dinan is reasonably honest). Let us know if you find anything. The issue you raise is essentially the reason that I started this thread--to do the best I can to provide some reliable info about bolt-ons. I will be installing the Dinan CAI soon and will update for its effects, if any.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I think ultimately, it boils down to a person's personal preference about a particular tuner or tuners. I don't think there's one central place that you can find objective information and comparisons between all the different tuners out there. My personal preference was formed from years of reading magazine write ups such as European Car. I'm sure their articles are somewhat biased due to the fact that they stay in business by running ads from the tuners they write about but I do find that alot of their articles provided pretty good feedback...good and bad. I think forums as such as this one are the closest you'll get to finding reliable information because you're getting them from real world drivers.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='221101' date='Jan 8 2006, 05:58 PM
I think ultimately, it boils down to a person's personal preference about a particular tuner or tuners. I don't think there's one central place that you can find objective information and comparisons between all the different tuners out there. My personal preference was formed from years of reading magazine write ups such as European Car. I'm sure their articles are somewhat biased due to the fact that they stay in business by running ads from the tuners they write about but I do find that alot of their articles provided pretty good feedback...good and bad. I think forums as such as this one are the closest you'll get to finding reliable information because you're getting them from real world drivers.
Hi EuCF:

Over the years, I, apparently like you, have come to believe that mods make some difference as a consequence of reading mod tests, etc., etc. Often the mods tested don't produce what their manufacturers claim, but they often do seem to make some measureable difference. I like what Dinan says about dyno testing on its site, but one has to take pretty much everything mod related with a grain of salt. I am trying to remove the grain in the context of my car and to demonstrate that mods can make a difference. I do wish I had some zero-mod baseline runs, but, on the other hand, my technique has improved too. The Dinan CAI is next. Hopefully, it will get delivered as promised--soon.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:00 PM
Contributors

I've been anxiously waiting to get all their products as well. Apparently production is a little backed up at Dinan so it'll be several weeks before they'll have something available for me. It would be nice to get the CAI, throttle body and exhaust installed at once for maximum effect. I'm pretty sure I can feel a 25-28 hp increase, if their claims are true.

I'm curious how much additional increase the MAF and ECU programming will provide.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:33 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='221939' date='Jan 10 2006, 02:00 AM
I've been anxiously waiting to get all their products as well. Apparently production is a little backed up at Dinan so it'll be several weeks before they'll have something available for me. It would be nice to get the CAI, throttle body and exhaust installed at once for maximum effect. I'm pretty sure I can feel a 25-28 hp increase, if their claims are true.

I'm curious how much additional increase the MAF and ECU programming will provide.
I am curious about the MAF and ECU too. Why not get a GT2 and do some baseline tests before installation? And, join in on the G-meter thread.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Znod' post='222055

I am curious about the MAF and ECU too. Why not get a GT2 and do some baseline tests before installation? And, join in on the G-meter thread.
[/quote]

I was thinking about that as well. Where can I pick up one or is it only online through the manufacturer?
Old 01-10-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='222099
Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='221939' date='Jan 10 2006, 02:00 AM

I was thinking about that as well. Where can I pick up one or is it only online through the manufacturer?
[/quote]I think only online. Easy. Go for it; get with our flow.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:51 AM
Contributors

Man, my wife's gonna kill me....hahaha

I bought a set of KW coilovers and ordered the AC Schnitzer roof spoiler and haven't installed them cause she doesn't know about it.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='222157' date='Jan 10 2006, 12:51 PM
Man, my wife's gonna kill me....hahaha

I bought a set of KW coilovers and ordered the AC Schnitzer roof spoiler and haven't installed them cause she doesn't know about it.
Do it right now. No wife thoughts or procastination allowed. I am waiting for you to say you have ordered. Be sure and get the more costly GT2 or you will regret. Waiting.

And, please use a 12" roll out.

Quick Reply: New Attempt to Assess Gains from 545i Mods: