E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

New Attempt to Assess Gains from 545i Mods:

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Znod' post='220212
So let me play devil's advocate.

Unless you strap a supercharger on your engine, just about any other mods--including performance enhancements ("free flow" exhausts, "cold air" intakes, throttle bodies, etc.--short of NOS ) or weight reduction (removing spare tire, lighter exhaust, vacuuming regularly to reduce heavy dirt in the carpet , even lighter wheels with the obvious benefit of reducing unsprung weight--short of stripping the entire interior out )--even when taken cumulatively--will not produce enough speed increase for a person to notice. Perhaps with a GPS timer you might record a 0.1 or 0.2 or even a 0.3 sec. improvement in 0 - 60 MPH or 1/4 mile times, but would you really notice that without the timer? Sure, the engine sound might be more aggressive (making the car...sound...faster ), but at the end of the day I truly believe it's all psychological.

And this comes from a guy who has been a car nut for decades, and loves to mod his cars, but I realize that a 5% or even a 10% power increase just isn't noticeable, and not economically justifiable. That's not to say that I haven't loved the sport exhaust systems I've installed in my Porsches, or the various other mods I've done to numerous other cars, but I've never had any illusions that they would make my car noticeably faster.

For a normally aspirated engine, the one way to noticeably increase the engine's power is to supercharge, but then you run the risk of pushing the engine beyond it's technical limits...and good luck with any warranty clai!
Hi S:

OK, I'll be the anglel's (my own) avocate. You old you. The gist of your devilish arguments, I think, are (1) bolt-on mods may not be economical and (2) one may not be able to feel, for example, the additional HP needed to produce a .3 sec. difference in the 1/4.

With respect to (1), the mods are worth it to me; they may not be worth it to some; and they may be worth it to some others. So, there is no way to judge mods to be economical, or not, in some universal sense. I explored the issue of the economy of my mods in the first "Mind Candy" thread linked in my sig. I liked what I came up with as cost per HP; some others might too; and some others might not. Check the thread out if you haven't.

Also, as I mentioned, mods offer aesthetic value to offset their costs in addition to performance value. And, a value I have not mentioned before is provided by mods--psychic value--the same sort of value that might make one perfer a 550i to a 545i--i.e., more power even if he or she can't feel it. With respect to (2), I believe that I can feel the addition of the HP needed to take .3 sec. off the 1/4. But, that's not what is important to me. What is important to me is that I have taken time that is significant to me off all distances up to 1/4 mile (and more). I don't have to feel the differences to know and to appreciate that they are there and that I have accomplished what I set out to do. Indeed, I was hoping to get about a .3 improvement in the 1/4th at this point.

The issue of a supercharger is something of a strawman since I am talking about "typical" bolt on mods and have no intention of getting a supercharger (or the cheap bolt-one supercharger--nitrous). I would not get a supercharger even if Dinan offered one--which would take care of the warranty issue satisfactorily because of Dinan's outstanding after-market warranty. And, if one did all the things you mentioned above (especially vacuuming ), except for a supercharger, and did them well, then I am absolutely positive that most could feel the difference.

Thank you for playing you old .
[/quote]

I'm not talking about whether these mods are "economical" from a $/HP perspective (which I don't think they are), I'm talking about whether anybody will really be able to feel any real (not psychological) performance increase, since even if you calculate a high HP/$ increase, if you can't feel it in real world driving, it's wasted money. And I'm not talking about whether somebody can feel a--theoretical--0.3 sec. difference in a 1/4 mile run. Honestly, you're talking about a calculated performance increase...when's the last you, or most of us, did a 1/4 mile?

Reminds me of one of my favorite sayings. Early in my career, the SVP of sales--a very colorful guy, full of one line sayings--used to say "figures lie, and liars figure" (naturally, I'm not calling anybody a liar) whenever we MBA types would produce exhaustive analyses whcih conflicted with something he was purporting from his "gut." I think we're agreeing to a large extent. Do all the mods you want...but at the end of the day it's really a question of whether it's worth it to you...from a "psychic value" to use your words. There's the aesthetic value (look at those cool exhaust tips, carbon fiber intake tubes... ), and a very marginal performance value, but hey, whatever floats your boat. If people are really concerned about 1/4 mile times or street racing from stop light to stop light, they bought the wrong car in a 545i. Plus some of these mods (sport exhausts) actually cause a loss of low end torque in favor of (supposed) increased power at the high end of the RPM band.

Here's my recommendation for a free mod, that will help your car feel like it's going faster--burn this 15 or 20 times to a CD, then play it in your car at full volume...
Increased Performance??

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='220220' date='Jan 6 2006, 02:44 PM
Just to add quickly to Znod's comments above.

1) A .3 sec difference might not be felt by seat-of-the-pants but IF you're going up against another car at a stoplight, it would make a noticeable difference.
Well...I supppose, but as Austin Powers says...not my bag, baby! And really, even with a 0.3 sec. 0 - 60 MPH difference (still theoretical, in my mind...), how many feet are we talking about? Probably less than a miscue by either driver would offset!
Old 01-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Yeah but that .3 could make up for my own miscue.....

You are right that it really boils down to a personal choice and personal gratification knowing that you've "increased" your performance with certain mods. But I don't think the argument that we bought the wrong car if we're interested in 1/4 times is really valid or fair. People who are into performance gains are going to modify whatever car they drive. We're just looking to improve the performance of our specific car even if it's not born for the track. Even if I had the money to buy the best car/truck from each class, I would probably still mod all of them for better performance.

I guess it's just an addictive hobby. I will probably one day, look back and say, why did I waste all that money...haha
Old 01-06-2006, 08:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Stream and Znod, you left out the weight of the driver and passenger if any. I'm 150 lbs on most days, so I have much weight savings over a 210 lb driver. Given that most American's are overweight, I think I have a "natural" advantage.

As for superchargers, I will most likely get one after the warranty is out. But my current ignorance of supercharger is evidence of my current, perhaps poor, decision. I want a supercharger that works like or better than AMG - a supercharger that will only kick in when I need it, still gives me factory spec mpg, and never melt my engine. Am I asking for a turbocharger? I don't want to mod the exterior of my car except maybe for an M-aero kit. That why, it's a true "sleeper."
Old 01-06-2006, 08:37 PM
Contributors

Hell, I'm only 130lbs... I'll race you all for pink slips.. Just kidding!
Old 01-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='220321' date='Jan 6 2006, 10:55 PM
Yeah but that .3 could make up for my own miscue.....

You are right that it really boils down to a personal choice and personal gratification knowing that you've "increased" your performance with certain mods. But I don't think the argument that we bought the wrong car if we're interested in 1/4 times is really valid or fair. People who are into performance gains are going to modify whatever car they drive. We're just looking to improve the performance of our specific car even if it's not born for the track. Even if I had the money to buy the best car/truck from each class, I would probably still mod all of them for better performance.

I guess it's just an addictive hobby. I will probably one day, look back and say, why did I waste all that money...haha
Would you mod a Lambo Murchielago? Just curious? or a Porsche 911 GT2? Probably for looks but not for increase performance, right?
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='220321
Stream and Znod, you left out the weight of the driver and passenger if any. I'm 150 lbs on most days, so I have much weight savings over a 210 lb driver. Given that most American's are overweight, I think I have a "natural" advantage.
I'm also 150, so you and I both have an advantage over the average (overweight) American male--except for EuroCarFan!

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='220332' date='Jan 6 2006, 09:33 PM
As for superchargers, I will most likely get one after the warranty is out. But my current ignorance of supercharger is evidence of my current, perhaps poor, decision. I want a supercharger that works like or better than AMG - a supercharger that will only kick in when I need it, still gives me factory spec mpg, and never melt my engine. Am I asking for a turbocharger? I don't want to mod the exterior of my car except maybe for an M-aero kit. That why, it's a true "sleeper."
I had an AMG twin screw in my E55, and I'm here to tell you it didn't get good gas mileage--at all.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:44 PM
Contributors

You will probably think I'm stupid but seriously, if they make performance parts for those cars, I would definitely buy them. Actually, aren't there several tuners out there that make performance parts for the GT2? Gemballa, Techart, Strosek? I don't think Ruf does though.

If I had that much money to buy those cars, I would probably be stupid enough to spend more money frivolously on modding them.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='220337' date='Jan 6 2006, 09:44 PM
You will probably think I'm stupid but seriously, if they make performance parts for those cars, I would definitely buy them. Actually, aren't there several tuners out there that make performance parts for the GT2? Gemballa, Techart, Strosek? I don't think Ruf does though.

If I had that much money to buy those cars, I would probably be stupid enough to spend more money frivolously on modding them.
I've been a Porsche nut for many years, and modding is quite prevalent in that community, not really for the GT2, but you'd be surprised how many people mod their Turbos.
Old 01-06-2006, 08:55 PM
Contributors

I'm pretty sure I've seen several modified GT2s in the various EuropeanCar magazines. My obsessive behavior is going to make me look through all of them.....great...

I can totally understand the many modded Turbos especially when all it takes is a chip and a few other small components to bump your car another 50-75+ hp.
Old 01-06-2006, 09:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='220245' date='Jan 6 2006, 06:34 PM
Have a safe trip back!
We'll fly safely. Thanks.

Quick Reply: New Attempt to Assess Gains from 545i Mods: