E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Should I wrap my E60 in Matte Black Vinyl?
Wrap Matte Black w/ Hi-Quality Vinyl
69.57%
Stick With Silver Gray Factory Paint
30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Need Opinions: Full Matte Black Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Detroit has some harsh Winters, how would the wrap hold up against the elements?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:00 PM
Members

I use to like matte black but the more i look at it the more i think it looks like a prototype car, if you get what i mean.

if i were you i'd wrap it frozen grey

but that's just my opinion, do what you want of course!!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: m54

looks a lot better on that e93 than that e60 I think. but that said you seem like youd have a blast doing it and it can only add to the badass-ness of the e60 so I say go for it
Old 09-13-2011, 12:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

headed to my local shop today for some test samples....im going to try the matte white and the matte black....the full project will begin this weekend. ill update with pics for some opinions...
Old 09-13-2011, 12:51 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

Originally Posted by umichchris
headed to my local shop today for some test samples....im going to try the matte white and the matte black....the full project will begin this weekend. ill update with pics for some opinions...
Nice!

The matte black looks like the car was basepainted, the matte white looks like satin .

- Antti -
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributors

Can anyone post regarding the durability during winter/rain? I have always thought about doing it but the weather in NYC always has me worried. What about the steps to clean/detail? Can you take it through a car wash?

Thanks,
I voted matte black!
Old 09-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Senior Members

looked at some test samples last night.....the matte white would look awesome, but its just not for me....matte silver was too close to what i have now....so the champion is matte black.

im going to go with the Oracal 970ra in a matte black. the strip i test fit on the contours of my car yesterday look pretty good in the light. i applied some conditioning cleaner to the matte vinyl and it increased the sheen a bit as well....looked dangerously close to Frozen Black...hopefully this is something i can recreate once installed on the whole car.

ill be ordering the materials today....should be rather inexpensive all things considered.....but first im waiting on my mechanic to call me today regarding my trans issue....(wish me luck).
Old 09-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 545i Alpine White Premium package, Sport package, Nav, HUD, PDC

Originally Posted by umichchris
looked at some test samples last night.....the matte white would look awesome, but its just not for me....matte silver was too close to what i have now....so the champion is matte black.

im going to go with the Oracal 970ra in a matte black. the strip i test fit on the contours of my car yesterday look pretty good in the light. i applied some conditioning cleaner to the matte vinyl and it increased the sheen a bit as well....looked dangerously close to Frozen Black...hopefully this is something i can recreate once installed on the whole car.

ill be ordering the materials today....should be rather inexpensive all things considered.....but first im waiting on my mechanic to call me today regarding my trans issue....(wish me luck).
Good luck! Hope it all works out.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:24 PM
Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 Silver Grey 530 XI

I am dying to see a step by step of all of this! Please share as it comes along. I agree, the matte black will be sick! Can't wait.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:34 PM
Senior Members

I'll do you one better....I'm shooting video! I promise to share via a full DIY write up...but that will take me at least a week...learning as I go along.

Quick Reply: Need Opinions: Full Matte Black Wrap