E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!
View Poll Results: Should I wrap my E60 in Matte Black Vinyl?
Wrap Matte Black w/ Hi-Quality Vinyl
69.57%
Stick With Silver Gray Factory Paint
30.43%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Need Opinions: Full Matte Black Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 07:57 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

I say if you do indeed go with the matte black vinyl look you should have it professional done in vehicle wrap instead of trying to DIY vinyl it yourself. The roof and trim may have gone fairly smooth but it is absolutely nothing compared to bumper contours, trunk contours, etc. Also the vehicle wrap material is much more durable and will last longer than regular vinyl. Also I like your idea of the gloss black accents, I like the gloss black on matte black look, maybe do the diffuser, roof, trim, kidneys and roundels all gloss black to give it a little contrast.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:59 AM
Members

I was under the impression that it was an actual paint job, not wrap... where would you buy such wrap? Im now thinking about doing that mod with some gloss accents (door handle) grills, mirrors)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

go to amazon.com and search for matte black Oracal 970ra...

i used the same stuff to do my Hi-Gloss black roof this past weekend and it looks freakin' awesome...

when buying the materials from my local shop here in Detroit....the techs were trying to talk me into installing the roof....i respectfully declined (i prefer to do all my own stunts lol). then they mentioned the matte black product and how they had put it on a few cars and trucks....mostly hi-end lease vehicles where the owner didnt want to pay to paint it twice before returning it.

saw pics and even a Hyabusa motorcyle (in person) wrapped with the stuff....looks just like paint....but peels off when you want to remove it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by umichchris

i used the same stuff to do my Hi-Gloss black roof this past weekend and it looks freakin' awesome...

when buying the materials from my local shop here in Detroit....the techs were trying to talk me into installing the roof....i respectfully declined (i prefer to do all my own stunts lol). then they mentioned the matte black product and how they had put it on a few cars and trucks....mostly hi-end lease vehicles where the owner didnt want to pay to paint it twice before returning it.

saw pics and even a Hyabusa motorcyle (in person) wrapped with the stuff....looks just like paint....but peels off when you want to remove it.
Thats amazing, so, it doesnt peel off or comes off on its own? how about the wash? does it have to be hand washed or something? is it good quality? also, any idea on how much would it cost to have the whole car wrapped?

Thanks,
Old 09-09-2011, 08:06 AM
Senior Members

my thoughts exactly on the contrasting...

as for the full body install...i will remove the headlights, the taillights, front and rear bumper, mirrors, all trim, etc and apply the wrap.

after spending some quality time w/ this material and wrapping my interior trim and that damn shark fin (seriously a pain in the A$$) i think that a full weekend in my drive-way with my heat gun, some helping hands and a ton of patience....it should go smoothly.

for the materials....i wrote down the type that the body shop was quoting me with....its the same series as the high-gloss black i just used. looking on amazon, i can probably get all the material i need for roughly 200 to 300 bucks....

thoughts?

Originally Posted by baggedlvintegra
I say if you do indeed go with the matte black vinyl look you should have it professional done in vehicle wrap instead of trying to DIY vinyl it yourself. The roof and trim may have gone fairly smooth but it is absolutely nothing compared to bumper contours, trunk contours, etc. Also the vehicle wrap material is much more durable and will last longer than regular vinyl. Also I like your idea of the gloss black accents, I like the gloss black on matte black look, maybe do the diffuser, roof, trim, kidneys and roundels all gloss black to give it a little contrast.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM
Members

how much of that wrap do you need for the entire car?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Titanum Grey 525i 2004 Black 328i 2008 2008 E70 X5

go with it. I might do the same but with titanium grey matte
Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM
Senior Members

im thinking the 60 x 144 option which is like $215 or the 60 x 240 which is $320...

i already own all the other tools, i might invest in a bumper stand too though...so that would be an addition $100 so i can have a proper platform to work on while wrapping the bumpers
Old 09-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Alpine White / Tan

my thoughts exactly on the contrasting...

as for the full body install...i will remove the headlights, the taillights, front and rear bumper, mirrors, all trim, etc and apply the wrap.

after spending some quality time w/ this material and wrapping my interior trim and that damn shark fin (seriously a pain in the A$$) i think that a full weekend in my drive-way with my heat gun, some helping hands and a ton of patience....it should go smoothly.

for the materials....i wrote down the type that the body shop was quoting me with....its the same series as the high-gloss black i just used. looking on amazon, i can probably get all the material i need for roughly 200 to 300 bucks....

thoughts?
I am by no means an expert, but have dealt with an installed TONS of vinyl stuff as well as recently been engaged in the "wrap material" I referenced. Vinyl is pretty plyable and easy to stretch/heat/mold to a shape but corners and sharpe edges are still extremely tough. Im not saying you cant do it but I would highly doubt the trunk can be pulled off by an amateur. The "wrap material" is insanely shapeable and plyable, its crazy the way Ive seen this stuff installed, definitely the best bet for doing an entire vehicle, plus it is 2 part color and clear so its as protective as if not more protective than a 3 stage paint job. I honestly think the removal of the headlights/taillights is unnecessary as they arent in the way and you can trim/roll the edges of the surface in the gap between the body and the lights. The bumpers however may be advantageous as on the vehicle they would be kind of low and harder to get angles on pulling the vinyl BUT a bumper stand would greatly help if you pull them because having them loose not fixed creates problems of it own when trying to get the vinyl tight on the shape etc.'

check this vid, jump to about the 2:30 min mark I think is when it starts...you can see how workable this is, and only one installer!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:02 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

I say matte black

Quick Reply: Need Opinions: Full Matte Black Wrap