E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My Stereo Upgrade Finally Complete.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont mean the summed signal, yes you need that. Its the lack of EQ .

An MS8 would've addressed everything from the summing to the flat signal, and post processing. All that matters in the end is that you enjoy what you hear. Good luck!
Old 10-12-2010, 07:49 AM
Members

BTW, Are you experiencing any alternator whine?
Old 10-12-2010, 08:00 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mannynj
BTW, Are you experiencing any alternator whine?
No, I don't have any alt whine at all at any volume. In my experience (and reading), alt whine seem to happen when there is either very long cable runs or not planned out well enough wiring (i.e. power/grounds too close to speaker/signal wires). I paid attention to this and it seems to have paid off.

I agree the MS8 has some great features, but at $780 it is half the cost of my ENTIRE system. Good god! :-)
Old 10-12-2010, 08:09 AM
Members

It wouldnt be much volume dependant as it would be throttle induced. I only ask because I had bad luck with various Audiocontrol pieces in my Maxima.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Originally Posted by Victory
No, I don't have any alt whine at all at any volume. In my experience (and reading), alt whine seem to happen when there is either very long cable runs or not planned out well enough wiring (i.e. power/grounds too close to speaker/signal wires). I paid attention to this and it seems to have paid off.

I agree the MS8 has some great features, but at $780 it is half the cost of my ENTIRE system. Good god! :-)
But you drive a BMW. @800 it's a bargain for what it does.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by mannynj
It wouldnt be much volume dependant as it would be throttle induced. I only ask because I had bad luck with various Audiocontrol pieces in my Maxima.
I have zero whine that I can detect at any speed/volume combination.
Old 10-12-2010, 09:28 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nelson29
But you drive a BMW. @800 it's a bargain for what it does.
It kills me when people say something like this. As if owing a BMW somehow automatically causes a person to throw out all ROI value considerations. Even buying a BMW I considered the ROI. The variables factored in were the quality of the vehicle, it's performance and longevity, it's status as a brand, as well as my personal happiness. Buying an item like the MS8 (just because I own a BMW) without considering the other factors would be foolish.

As I keep stating, in my opinion, buying such an item while listening to MP3's is a poor cost to value proposition. It is really going to make that much of a difference (considering the other upgrades I've done in the ausio system) to justify its $800 cost? I don't think so. Maybe if I were listening to a better quality source material (or maybe if I'd upgraded all my speakers to Focals perhaps), I would feel differently. As it is, I'll save the dollars for my home system.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Contributors

My Ride: M3
Model Year: 2017

Hmm, the resulting signal looks flat to me on the analyzer, but I am not an audio professional so I very well could be reading the flat line wrong. Oh well, in any case the system sounds good enough for me. As I stated in my problem statement (see my initial post) I listen to compressed music files 99% of the time. To me, there was no reason to try to go to the Nth degree trying to reproduce sounds that, for the most part, don't even exist in MP3's.

Plus, anything more than what I did would have overshot my budget. I was not trying to upgrade grade my system at any cost. I was upgrading at a reasonable cost (I need money for drinking).

Thanks for the input!
The OEM summed signal without being flattened is quite useable, no question about it.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:08 AM
Members

The SWS 8's in this install were not up to snuff. I changed them out to Pioneer subs and you can read about that in this thread.
Old 10-13-2010, 08:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

It kills me when people say something like this. As if owing a BMW somehow automatically causes a person to throw out all ROI value considerations. Even buying a BMW I considered the ROI. The variables factored in were the quality of the vehicle, it's performance and longevity, it's status as a brand, as well as my personal happiness. Buying an item like the MS8 (just because I own a BMW) without considering the other factors would be foolish.

As I keep stating, in my opinion, buying such an item while listening to MP3's is a poor cost to value proposition. It is really going to make that much of a difference (considering the other upgrades I've done in the ausio system) to justify its $800 cost? I don't think so. Maybe if I were listening to a better quality source material (or maybe if I'd upgraded all my speakers to Focals perhaps), I would feel differently. As it is, I'll save the dollars for my home system.
The MS8 is no way the most expensive DSP out there. Compared to other high end DSPs, the MS8 is affordable. Nobody is paying full retail for their MS-8 unless you're a fool. If money was no object i would have gone for a H900, MotusLab AGW+ , or Mobridge/Bit1 combo, But for the money its hard to beat the MS-8. I guess its all come out to how serious you take car audio and priorities.

Do you have any idea what the MS-8 does? You might wanna read on it. Here's a good place to start reading on http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...processor.html

Yes, it will make crappy mp3s sound better, it will even make the OEM system better without upgrading the speakers. I know people that are using the ms8 with their OEM speakers and they are extremely sastify.

Focal is not all that, the only speakers they make that i would remotely consider using is their Utopia Be speakers.

Quick Reply: My Stereo Upgrade Finally Complete.