E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

My Stereo Upgrade Finally Complete.

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Premium Package, Navigation, Comfort Access, L7 Sound 2004 FX35, Sports Package, Stillen CAI

Awesome write-up...
Old 05-27-2010, 03:28 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

Wow - very nice.

Very ambitious project.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 525i Executive

very impressed
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM
Members

My Ride: e60
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by CWS530
Excellent write-up!
i agree -- super job!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 06:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

You did a great job
Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
Members

Thanks guys. I appreciate it!

If anyone has any questions let me know.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: F90 M5 Singapore Grey Executive package blacked out grill, body matched paint
Model Year: 2019

epic!!!
Old 05-27-2010, 11:19 PM
Senior Members

oh quick question.. is LOC same as something like clean sweep and can you still control high and low through i drive??

Also is your sub box really secured or does it move around???

i was thinking about changing it to alpine type x component but cant find the front door size which is 4"
Old 05-28-2010, 03:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by monsterj34
oh quick question.. is LOC same as something like clean sweep and can you still control high and low through i drive??

Also is your sub box really secured or does it move around???

i was thinking about changing it to alpine type x component but cant find the front door size which is 4"
Focal makes an excellent component set in 4". Great upgrade for front soundstage. Also, the LOC is a "line output converter" It is just a way to convert speaker wires to RCA outputs. The clean sweep erases the factory equalizer programmed by BMW and sets everything to flat.

To OP: Why didn't you replace the front door speakers?

IMHO, I think an upgrade of front stage to a proven 4" set like BSW or Focal and a SWS upgrade bi-amped would complete the front soundstage nicely. I would have left the rear deck speakers alone, running off OEM amp power as they are just for rear fill. Then add subs in the trunk.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:39 AM
Members

Originally Posted by medik13
Focal makes an excellent component set in 4". Great upgrade for front soundstage. Also, the LOC is a "line output converter" It is just a way to convert speaker wires to RCA outputs. The clean sweep erases the factory equalizer programmed by BMW and sets everything to flat.

To OP: Why didn't you replace the front door speakers?

IMHO, I think an upgrade of front stage to a proven 4" set like BSW or Focal and a SWS upgrade bi-amped would complete the front soundstage nicely. I would have left the rear deck speakers alone, running off OEM amp power as they are just for rear fill. Then add subs in the trunk.
I didn't replace the front speakers because to ROI on the work involved just wasn't there for me. Focals are outside of the budget I set and making a special bracket for the Infinity's, pulling off the door, and most importantly - the work involved in running the wires back to the trunk - for the incremental sound improvement just wasn't worth it for me (not to mention having to address the NAV guidance voice issue if you go this way). And just changing them out to change them out (leaving them connected to the head unit) wasn't something that made sense for me. The front soundstage is competent enough for the compressed (and therefore sonically incomplete) MP3 music files I listen to and the loudness is fine. Unless you strictly listen to CD's, IMO, anything else overkill.

The LOC I am using does a bit more than you describe. It has internal summing. This feature combines the various input signals into one signal. If you input all of the available signals for you system (i.e. highpass, low pass outputs) you can then turn them into one complete flat signal. It's pretty cool device for the price. See the specs here for more info --> Line Output Converter - LC6i

Quick Reply: My Stereo Upgrade Finally Complete.