E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Modding with Warranty Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 05:09 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530i
Model Year: 2006
Thumbs up

Hey everyone this is my first post. I've been browsing the forums a little lately and have found a lot of useful information. My parents just bought me a 530i for school cause of my scholarship and the fact that I'll be 12 hours away..

Anyways, I plan on doing some mods in the upcoming year and I just want to know what type of stuff I should or shouldn't do since my parents got some really good warranty with the car. I think I still have the original warranty for now, but when that expires I have an additional five-year warranty as well. I can't remember the name and do not have any information about it at the moment, but I want to say it's LUS or something? I'll go find out.

I'm interested in the RPI scoop, wheel spacers, maybe coil overs, and the M bumpers. If I get the rear, I'll need exhaust work which I'm pretty sure is NOT covered.

Either way, thanks for any help. You guys are great.
Old 07-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i Monaco blue/cream beige, light poplar trim, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed manual My other rides: Departed: 2006 530xi Silver gray/black, anthracite maple trim, cold, sport, nav, premium, Logic 7, 6 speed steptronic, bluetooth, adaptive xenons Departed...2002 525i White/beige, 5 sp manual

Hi Jello! I'm sure some other members will chime in soon with answers to your questions. Congrats on your new car and welcome to the forum!
Old 07-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

The warranty will only voided on the parts that are modded. If you get an exhaust, then the exhaust system will most likely not be covered under warranty anymore. RPi scoops won't void warranty, the paint for instance (on the M bumpers) will not be covered unless your dealership installed them, and not another shop.

Kinda getting a feel for it?
Old 07-08-2009, 08:30 PM
Members

Thanks for the welcome

Oh ok, so I can just slowly void the warranty, part by part. I just wanted to make sure the whole thing doesn't get nullified. I'll do some more research, but I might come back with a few more questions hahaha
Old 07-08-2009, 08:45 PM
Contributors

And depending on how anal your stealership is too but theres ways around it.
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 Alpine White e92 M3

Welcome!

Your warranty won't be voided unless that specific mod is causing the problem! I use to be on the same boat so your just going to be just fine. One thing the dealer told me is that they are pretty anal about the brakes so you might want to stay away from modding your brakes(ie. bbk's). GL!
Old 07-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by lady5killah' post='936887' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:45 AM
And depending on how anal your stealership is too but theres ways around it.
+1. In case you haven't heard or read about it, there is something called the "Sprint Booster"

A LOT of members on the forum have it and it basically increases throttle sensitivity and makes your car feel more sporty.
I remove it every time I go to the dealer and it takes about 1 minute to remove/install.

Some leave it in whenever they go to the dealer, but most take it out. For example, if your tranny goes out and the dealer finds the SB they might blame that for "putting excess strain" on tranny and void coverage for the transmission. As long as you take it out, there is no trace
Old 07-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Krozi' post='936892' date='Jul 9 2009, 12:49 AM
+1. In case you haven't heard or read about it, there is something called the "Sprint Booster"

A LOT of members on the forum have it and it basically increases throttle sensitivity and makes your car feel more sporty.
I remove it every time I go to the dealer and it takes about 1 minute to remove/install.

Some leave it in whenever they go to the dealer, but most take it out. For example, if your tranny goes out and the dealer finds the SB they might blame that for "putting excess strain" on tranny and void coverage for the transmission. As long as you take it out, there is no trace
I'm not too sure about the SB right now, but I get what you're saying about how it's easily removed.

But speaking of dealers, will any BMW dealer do work on my car, like install a new bumper for example? Cause in about a month and a half, I'm going to be leaving for school in Florida, while my dealer is here in Virginia.

Edit: What I'm trying to ask is will the warranty be affected any if I have another dealer do the work?
Old 07-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jello' post='936914' date='Jul 9 2009, 01:10 AM
I'm not too sure about the SB right now, but I get what you're saying about how it's easily removed.

But speaking of dealers, will any BMW dealer do work on my car, like install a new bumper for example? Cause in about a month and a half, I'm going to be leaving for school in Florida, while my dealer is here in Virginia.

Edit: What I'm trying to ask is will the warranty be affected any if I have another dealer do the work?
Not 100% on this, but If a dealer installed your M-Tech I see NO reason why that warranty shouldn't transfer, and if you get the M-Tech from the dealer, you can count on the paint quality anyways.