E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

making auto shifter knob shorter???

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 02:16 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by spediegunz
oohhhh I see I didn't realize that piece on top is what secured the shift knob in place. I thought it was a piece at the bottom of the stick coming out of the shifter thanks for the help I'm interested to hear what nelson will have to tell me on how he did everything...
Its actually both. The notch on top secures it from turning round. The slot at the bottom secures it from coming out.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:30 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmm thanks for clearing that up Bruce for me i guess I'll just drill a hole through both the shift lever stalk and the actual shifter and secure it in place by putting the screw through it.

Edit: maybe i can just cut the stalk from the bottom is there a way to remove the stalk to cut it from the bottom
Old 06-08-2012, 06:24 AM
Senior Members

after doing so research i see that the baseplate nelson has actually comes like that for the lci cars i thought it was some custom work, so i guess i have to find that base plate for my install

it seems back in the day they use to provide this baseplate
https://5series.net/forums/topic/991...st__p__1257903
Old 06-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Sorry for replying late guys. Im in the middle of a another member major retrofit project..m5 interior swap, full cic, lci headlight and tails, audio system, etc..

I don't remember how much i cut but it was a lot. Like it was mentioned, the shifter it not fully secured but you guys gave me an idea on how to secure. it never really bothered me.

Yes i got everything from motivemods. i also had to source a lci center trim. the issue with that is that you loose your ashtray. I don't smoke so i didn't really care for it.

Heres a couple of pics i was able to find in my phone from the install

Old 06-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Senior Members

wow thanks nelson for providing that info, and good luck with the next project i think we all have something we are working on this summer up our sleeves, its like a competition on this site. lol you just gave me some really bad news though as much as i love this base plate i can't swap for and lci center console trim I'm guessing that base plate wont fit a pre lci trim piece. its not that i smoke but i now use my ashtray as my iphone/ipod dock damn I dont know what to do now I want to make this project work for me somehow and make it look sexy maybe i will have to get whatever dct base plate he can provide and just get some lexhand plastic and get it custom fitted somehow ?????

Old 06-09-2012, 09:11 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by spediegunz
wow thanks nelson for providing that info, and good luck with the next project i think we all have something we are working on this summer up our sleeves, its like a competition on this site. lol you just gave me some really bad news though as much as i love this base plate i can't swap for and lci center console trim I'm guessing that base plate wont fit a pre lci trim piece. its not that i smoke but i now use my ashtray as my iphone/ipod dock damn I dont know what to do now I want to make this project work for me somehow and make it look sexy maybe i will have to get whatever dct base plate he can provide and just get some lexhand plastic and get it custom fitted somehow ?????

This is why he didn't make it available for sale. A lot of trade offs. AFAIK only me and another friend from Tampa has this, but we were ok with the trade offs. Thats one of the reason i didn't post a lot about it in the forums.

Regarding getting the act baseplate, if you look at the lci it has 3 mounting points compared to 4 that the pre-lci has from my memory. Hope i made sense.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:15 AM
Contributors

Just looked at the your iPod dock. I'm pretty sure you will able to find somebody custom fit it in the lci center trim. If you can't find someone locally send it to me and ill have my friend do it.
Old 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Senior Members

that may have to be an option because i refuse to give up on this project even though i would hate to loose that trap door