E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Piano Black Interior Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 11:36 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey there guys i wanted to get my trim piano black but the thing is i got a few very light cracks on my top trim only i wanted to know what i can do before getting them painted at the body shop
do you guys know any good body shops in so cal

Old 06-08-2012, 12:01 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Whoa, how did that happen? Anyway, maybe you can do gloss vinyl wrap instead? At least the vinyl would offer some protection from the cracks spreading and getting worse.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Perfect for you: http://www.ebay.com/...r#ht_500wt_1144
Old 06-08-2012, 04:28 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by pjinca
Whoa, how did that happen? Anyway, maybe you can do gloss vinyl wrap instead? At least the vinyl would offer some protection from the cracks spreading and getting worse.
i honestly do not know i bought the car like this i really didnt care about it that much because the mileage and everything was perfect on the car but now i want to go with the piano black i dont know if a body shop can do something about or i should just get a new trim amd then do the piano black later
Old 06-08-2012, 04:29 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by sahiljain22
thanks bradah!
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

If you are serious and want to get all the trims done in black I will do it at no cost, just for the materials. I would think maybe 125.00 max in materials. That would be with a black base and a high solid clear. Not much you can do about those cracks. You can cut them down and fill them but I bet they would come back eventually. I would grab a used one somewhere. Let me know if you are interested. If you know Sublime (Chase) you can ref from him. I can also send you some pics. I only would want an agreement that you share the end result photos so I can see it all together. I want to do mine, but just don't have committed yet.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

i have one in perfect condition, $110 shipped
Old 06-08-2012, 07:44 PM
Members
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
If you are serious and want to get all the trims done in black I will do it at no cost, just for the materials. I would think maybe 125.00 max in materials. That would be with a black base and a high solid clear. Not much you can do about those cracks. You can cut them down and fill them but I bet they would come back eventually. I would grab a used one somewhere. Let me know if you are interested. If you know Sublime (Chase) you can ref from him. I can also send you some pics. I only would want an agreement that you share the end result photos so I can see it all together. I want to do mine, but just don't have committed yet.
thanks bro but i got a friend of mine who can paint if for free i just need to know what to do with these cracks seems like i have to buy a new trim
Old 06-09-2012, 04:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Originally Posted by ///M-Power
thanks bro but i got a friend of mine who can paint if for free i just need to know what to do with these cracks seems like i have to buy a new trim
Well please post up good pics when you get it all done. The two panels I did in a certain way to try and get the best look. I have now a temporary CC finisher painted in black and installed because I just brought in the CIC controller and need to cut my original finisher. I only can get a little feeling for the color and would really like to see it in a complete car. My interior is brown and a lot of black... As for your cracks, thats very strange how that could happen. It's possible they could be ground down to the metal substrate and built up with a fiberglass and finished with a body filler. To pay a shop would be just as much or more than a used trim. If you can do it, or get it done for free then give it a shot but my guess would be that you will be able to see the repair to some extent but probably not seen by others. You know, once you are aware of it, you can just see things. Kinda hard to explain. Of course, you can always sand, paint and clear and final buff and it should also look nice. I was playing around with what I did and was trying to see if I could influence the depth. When these parts are made at Novem and another supplier, they use a high solid polyester clear which has a lot of depth and very strong.

When I painted the two spare trims I had, here is what I did and it turned out very nice. The curing times that I used were only because of my personal available spare time I had, all times can go to 12-24 hours but I would wait 2-3 days for the last sand and buff.
wet sanded with 500
sprayed ~ 5 coats of black base
dried and cured for three days
wet sanded with 600
sprayed 3 coats of black base
sprayed 3 coats high solid clear
cured for one week
wet sanded with 1000
sprayed 3 coats of clear
wet sanded with 1500 & 2000 then polished
Old 06-09-2012, 08:28 AM
Senior Members

how bout some wood glue to fill the cracks and sanding paper to smooth it out. i have the vertical crack along my long dash trim as well, it was there when i bought my car too but i didn't notice it when buying it its one of those things you can only spot in certain lights. any way i plan on redoing my trim in a few days but im going with vinyl and i think im just going to fill the crack and sand it down before i begin wrapping. although my crack isn't deep at all its only surface

Quick Reply: Piano Black Interior Trim