E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Black Sapphire 535i

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone!

how much did you spend on painting your mirror?
monsterj34,
Given that I wanted the mirrors re-finished and re-primed to remove some manufacturer blemishes prior to painting, I had to also pay from some additional labor/shop time etc. The end result was that each mirror cost CDN $140.00 or $280.00 in total to re-finish and paint.

How difficult is it to remove the door panel? I looked around but didn't see a DIY. Your mirrors look great! This is a project I want to do in the not too distant future.
stoic1,
The difficulty level is somewhat relative. Knowing how to take everything apart and understanding how to properly remove the door panel and speaker housing in order to get at the mounting bolts and wire harness, is probably the most challenging. Once you understand what needs to be done, doing the second door is dead easy. XBMWx's posted link should help you in this regard.

xBMWx,
Thanks for the positive comments and the posted link to the PDF DYI. Although the wiring portion differs from the replica replacement compared to the original M5 mirror swap, the door panel disassembly etc is symmetrical.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:14 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: F10 M-Sport
Model Year: 2014

A subtle mod - but one of the nicest upgrades imo.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

Great Mod and write up too! BTW, what was SO important that you Photoshopped the background in your garage???
Old 07-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Contributors

are those mirror glasses auto dim?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:01 AM
Contributors

They look great .. I wish they had puddle lights.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Contributors

BTW, what was SO important that you Photoshopped the background in your garage??
Flyingpuck,
Ha ha, valid question. I've always been one to post tons of pics in forums, websites, (heck even BBS's), I've participtated in over the course of the last 20 odd years. Given the nature of web security (or lack thereof), I've always been overly critical of what I post. Unfortunately old habits die hard. Not to mention, removing the clutter in the background better portrays the image in the foreground.

are those mirror glasses auto dim?
Bimmer530i,
No I don't believe they are but I'll confirm with NVD. I was actually not interested in this feature.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:55 AM
Contributors

They look great .. I wish they had puddle lights.
JeRZee,
I know that it would be a royal pain in the ass but mod'ing this mod would not be that difficult to accomplish. All we need is an appropriate puddle light fixture that we could use in the mirror housing by cutting the appropriate cavity, then a a wire hookup piggy-backing the puddle light in the bottom of the door sill. When the door sill light comes on, our puddle light would come on.

If we could get a round light fixture that we could mount flush to the bottomside of the mirror and only need to drill a large diameter hole in the mirror housing, fabrication should be clean. Of course we loose the OEM effect. Maybe just more trouble than it's worth....NVD needs a product revision to include puddle mirrors.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:00 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Georgieb
NVD needs a product revision to include puddle mirrors.
Amen to that!!! I think they would also sell more of these mirrors.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:56 PM
Contributors

nice.. hey take a shot from the side, because i want to see if u dont have shadowline and do this mod will make a difference.
Naj155,
Here are a couple shots from the side. I'm also still rockin' out the chrome trim but shadowline is on my list of todos.
Attached Thumbnails M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!-m5_mirror17.jpg   M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!-m5_mirror16.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 02:06 PM
Contributors

I know some of you guys out there are still interested in doing this mirror upgrade. Here are a couple more pics of my car taken today with the inclusion of shadowline and Hammon splitter. These M5 mirrors just never grow old!
Attached Thumbnails M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!-hamann03.jpg   M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!-shadowline50.jpg   M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!-shadowline51.jpg  

Quick Reply: M5 Mirrors - It's all about curb appeal!