E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Light weight batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

There is an interesting calculator for changing weight: http://www.wallaceracing.com/wt-correction-et.php

Also there are other very interesting formulas to calculate everything HP, Torque, Weight, Altitude, Air, Psi, etc.... It is fun! : http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

put it in your "My Favorites" or "Bookmarks".... if you like.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Interesting stuff. Added to my favorites.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I completely forgot to provide an update to this project.

Well, after about a month with intermitten periods of use, I started getting increased battery discharge warnings. There were a couple of times where the car was not in use for periods of 3-4 days and things started up fine but then the warnings came intermittently even if I had just driven the car for about 30 minutes. I was about to leave for a drive to Vegas for MFest so I decided to put the stock battery back in.

Several factors could have contributed to this:

1) Perhaps the particular unit I bought had a bad shelf life. I should have gone to get an amperage test on it but never bothered to.
2) There were several threads on here regarding replacing the stock battery with an aftermarket unit and the possible need to go to the dealer to have the new battery "registered" with the car's ECU. I also recall something to do with the many electronic modules in the car that needed to be reset with the new battery. I didn't do any of that so I'm wondering if that would have been the fix.
3) Perhaps the V10 is just too strong for this battery and it might work on a regular E60? Some members on M5Board have used similar batteries without issues on ther E39 V8.

Anyway, I'm sorry for not updating this thread sooner. I should check with my dealer about the "registration" thing to see if that would have made any difference and try it again. haha
Old 08-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='982247' date='Aug 19 2009, 02:15 PM
I completely forgot to provide an update to this project.

Well, after about a month with intermitten periods of use, I started getting increased battery discharge warnings. There were a couple of times where the car was not in use for periods of 3-4 days and things started up fine but then the warnings came intermittently even if I had just driven the car for about 30 minutes. I was about to leave for a drive to Vegas for MFest so I decided to put the stock battery back in.

Several factors could have contributed to this:

1) Perhaps the particular unit I bought had a bad shelf life. I should have gone to get an amperage test on it but never bothered to.
2) There were several threads on here regarding replacing the stock battery with an aftermarket unit and the possible need to go to the dealer to have the new battery "registered" with the car's ECU. I also recall something to do with the many electronic modules in the car that needed to be reset with the new battery. I didn't do any of that so I'm wondering if that would have been the fix.
3) Perhaps the V10 is just too strong for this battery and it might work on a regular E60? Some members on M5Board have used similar batteries without issues on ther E39 V8.

Anyway, I'm sorry for not updating this thread sooner. I should check with my dealer about the "registration" thing to see if that would have made any difference and try it again. haha
Thanks for the "timely" update Euro.

If anyone has done this and has not seen issues please let me know. I ordered this battery and am curious if I am going to have the same experience as Euro.