E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Light weight batteries

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 04:44 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I installed the battery today.

1) The loop for the positive terminal was a bit bigger than the negative terminal so it was loose when we clamped it around the SAE posts. Well it wasn't loose loose but even after tightening the bolt, you can pop it off pretty easily. To solve the problem, we inserted a thin piece of metal in between the post and the loop so it was a nice tight fit.

2) Before we strapped it down, we test started the car and it fired right up.

3) I used the Braille mounting brackets I purchased from Tire Rack for about $15.

4) So far so good. The only thing I had to reinitialize was the date and time once the new battery was installed.

5) The stock battery weighs 58lbs and this Deka one is about 21lbs so I saved 37lbs!!! One small concern I have is how much traction I lost from the rear tires.

I've only had the battery installed for a few hours so hopefully things will go smoothly from here. I'll report back with an update later on or if I encounter any problems.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i SGM Steptronic Dinan CAI Dinan TB GTech Pro RR

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='808719' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:44 PM

1) The loop for the positive terminal was a bit bigger than the negative terminal so it was loose when we clamped it around the SAE posts. Well it wasn't loose loose but even after tightening the bolt, you can pop it off pretty easily. To solve the problem, we inserted a thin piece of metal in between the post and the loop so it was a nice tight fit.

3) I used the Braille mounting brackets I purchased from Tire Rack for about $15.

4) So far so good. The only thing I had to reinitialize was the date and time once the new battery was installed.

5) The stock battery weighs 58lbs and this Deka one is about 21lbs so I saved 37lbs!!! One small concern I have is how much traction I lost from the rear tires.

I've only had the battery installed for a few hours so hopefully things will go smoothly from here. I'll report back with an update later on or if I encounter any problems.
Congrats, sounds great so far. Let us know if you have any probs after sitting for an extended period of time e.g. passive drain. Otherwise, sounds like CCA are more than adequate. Great performance mod! BTW, you probably gave yourself another 1/2 inch rake with the weight redux.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brandsb' post='808802' date='Mar 5 2009, 07:05 PM
Congrats, sounds great so far. Let us know if you have any probs after sitting for an extended period of time e.g. passive drain. Otherwise, sounds like CCA are more than adequate. Great performance mod! BTW, you probably gave yourself another 1/2 inch rake with the weight redux.
This is my daily driver so don't think it'll ever sit still for more than 2 days unless I'm on out of town with the family. Hmm...my family's actually going out of town for a whole week in late April. Wonder if I should get a battery tender just in case.

Yeah I'm sure my rear end lifted up a bit and I should have measured it. haha

I want to thank Gabe (NobleForums) for all the valuable advice on this thread as well as on PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i Mods: M5 sporty package, M5 Steering wheel, Sprint Booster

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='808719' date='Mar 6 2009, 09:44 AM

Wait for you update, I only concern have any electrical device out of order or have any error code while driving. For example, audio system; aircon; active steeing, etc. It should a good mod if all work fine
Old 03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5

Very nice! it is tempting.... how much did you pay it in total? and which model, please?
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miguex' post='808817' date='Mar 5 2009, 07:34 PM
Very nice! it is tempting.... how much did you pay it in total?
1) $73.95 for the Deka battery on eBay
2) $15 shipping
3) $9.99 for 2 SAE posts
4) $8.95 shipping (the box came with postage printed on there for less than $3 )
5) $15 for Braille universal mount kit from Tire Rack
6) $7.97 shipping

Total = $130.86

Damn I didn't know I spent that much. But it's still a savings over my original decision to get the Braille battery from Tire Rack because that battery alone is $181.

I called a local Kragens and they didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for SAE posts so Gabe told me where to order them online. If you can find it locally, you'll save on the shipping cost. Same with the universal mount. You can probably make shift something to wedge the battery in place but I just wanted to make sure it was done right. Again, if you can find something local, you'll save on shipping.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='808831' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:45 PM
1) $73.95 for the Deka battery on eBay
2) $15 shipping
3) $9.99 for 2 SAE posts
4) $8.95 shipping (the box came with postage printed on there for less than $3 )
5) $15 for Braille universal mount kit from Tire Rack
6) $7.97 shipping

Total = $130.86

Damn I didn't know I spent that much. But it's still a savings over my original decision to get the Braille battery from Tire Rack because that battery alone is $181.

I called a local Kragens and they didn't know what I was talking about when I asked for SAE posts so Gabe told me where to order them online. If you can find it locally, you'll save on the shipping cost. Same with the universal mount. You can probably make shift something to wedge the battery in place but I just wanted to make sure it was done right. Again, if you can find something local, you'll save on shipping.
$130 is sill a very good price! the oem battery costs around $290 + tax.

I will look buying one... my battery is too old... never replaced since 2004 and it is still good.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by miguex' post='808860' date='Mar 5 2009, 08:11 PM
$130 is sill a very good price! the oem battery costs around $290 + tax.

I will look buying one... my battery is too old... never replaced since 2004 and it is still good.
Give me till next week to provide another update just in case. I want to make sure everything's in working order before anyone else tries this.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Contributors

sure! I can wait.... please update! thank you!
Old 03-06-2009, 07:50 AM
Contributors

The car started up like normal this morning. So far so good.

I was in traffic so didn't really paid any attention on how the car felt with the weight reduction. I'll turn my butt dyno on later.

Quick Reply: Light weight batteries