E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='463937' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:31 PM
I think you misunderstood me. What I meant is that I will no longer be offering a separate US and EU kit. Both kits will be exactly the same. And these kits will retain all your original functions and also give you a full LCI effect.

Now if I can only break through that resin compound on those after market lights I should be able to resolve the strobing issue too. - But don't count on it. I can ofcourse always try and see if I can source those modules as complete units and use them inside my kit. That should resolve the strobing issue but may make the kits more expensive.
You had me worried there. Okay so now I just have to wait for the strobing issue to get resolved. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by BrianC' post='463816' date='Aug 29 2007, 06:22 PM
Thats a shame, I was planning on using it as my next mod, I guess I wouldn't be a suitable test case as I'm in the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
If you want to risk buying these lights for the E61 and letting me study them then I may be able to get you sorted. But the E61 has two sets of lights and so I dont know how the wiring for that would be unless you are planning to buy only the LED lights on the body.
Old 08-29-2007, 03:38 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='463937' date='Aug 29 2007, 05:31 PM
I think you misunderstood me. What I meant is that I will no longer be offering a separate US and EU kit. Both kits will be exactly the same. And these kits will retain all your original functions and also give you a full LCI effect.

Now if I can only break through that resin compound on those after market lights I should be able to resolve the strobing issue too. - But don't count on it. I can ofcourse always try and see if I can source those modules as complete units and use them inside my kit. That should resolve the strobing issue but may make the kits more expensive.
Hi Bruce,

Me personally dont mind the strobing. I have some LED Bulbs, (front turn signal, and side marker signal LED) that strobe already. doesnt really matter.

I can settle with a fixed kit without fixing the strobe thing. Let me know what you think.

Thanks!

MK
Old 08-29-2007, 08:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi-Titanium Silver-Black Dakota-Premium Pkg-Cold Weather Pkg-Navigation-Sirius Modifications Comming Soon

any word on an official bmw retro kit? I've had these lights sitting in my basement for almost 4 months now!
Old 08-30-2007, 12:54 AM
Contributors

check this out - there are some who have put it on email:
http://cgi.ebay.de/Hella-Rueckleuchten-BMW-E60-M5-Nachruestsatz-LCI-Facelift_W0QQitemZ330160699402QQihZ014QQcategoryZ44301QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcdZViewItem
cheers
Old 08-30-2007, 02:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='464123' date='Aug 30 2007, 10:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.de/Hella-Rueckleuchten-BMW...1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers
those adapters won't eliminate the strobing though...
Old 08-30-2007, 06:16 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by rsyed' post='464123' date='Aug 30 2007, 09:54 AM
http://cgi.ebay.de/Hella-Rueckleuchten-BMW...1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers

Hey, Isnt that my kit (and my car too) being sold on eBay!! Problem is that whoever is selling this is mis-informing people because with the v1 kits that are being sold you will get the lights like the ones on the left of the car. Its only the v2 kits that produce the right side effect.
Old 09-05-2007, 02:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 07 Alpine White 525xi

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='463656' date='Aug 29 2007, 06:53 AM
Just to give people an update on the current situation. I have resolved the heat issues for the EU kits (infact it hardly affected the EU kits but did it as a precaution).

I think I got the US kits completely wrong. By completely wrong I meant I didn't understand the way the US lights works to begin with and I still don't.

In the UK and EU when you press the brakes in the pre-LCI lights only the outer light comes on, the middle is reserved for the BFD. I assumed this was also the case for the US cars but with the except that the BFD was moved to the inner circle light - and this is where I think I may be wrong but so far no one is able to help or confirm this.

In Canada I am told that in the pre-LCI lights when you pressed the brake the outer and the middle lights come on.

If this is the case for the US cars as well then I think I do not have a US kit anymore and all kits will be exactly the same. Basically the problem has been that the US kits have been overheating because when you press the brake the middle bulb needs to light up but my circuit is suppressing that and heating up. I should have not suppressed this and allowed the middle light to go bright when the brake is applied.

Long story short the US kit just got more expensive because it now needs twice the number of parts. I will however honour the US kit price for all the re-called kits.
Just received the new EU kit from Bruce, to replace my overheated US spec cable. Now everything works fine, and I will keep an eye on the heating issue. Thanks Bruce.

P.S. Bruce, I paid EU kit price for my re-called cables....any partial refund
Old 09-05-2007, 03:13 AM
Senior Members

NICE They look real good, quite a difference from the OG lights, just one thing, who makes them? Hella? How much are they

E60BEEMER
Old 09-05-2007, 03:16 AM
Senior Members

mine at night, quality is bit crap, will try another at night today, with some lighting

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working