E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bruce,
Try using some kind of aerosol base such as Goo-gone, karosel, etc. What I'm afraid is if the circuit line was drawn by conducting pen, they using karosel might wipe it out.
The best thing is scrapping some pins and test wire connection, ohm, cap, etc. With those at hand, we can guess what kind of circuit it is.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 07 Alpine White 525xi

Received the cables from Bruce last Friday, and installed today. Everything works fine, and I didn't get any error msg. Thanks Bruce =)
Old 08-13-2007, 12:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='457918' date='Aug 12 2007, 10:33 AM
I received the part from HK that could potentially be the solution to the strobing issue. BUT there is a big problem. The circuit is enclosed in a black ABS box and has a resin poured into it. Anyone know how to remove that resin?
You need some sort of a potting remover or encapsulation remover product. It would be helpful if you know what type of material the circuit is potted with (acrylic, epoxy, urethane, silicone,...). Here's a link to some products manufactured by Dynaloy that are specifically designed for this purpose, I am sure there are other companies that make similar products in Europe too.

Here's the link: >>>>>CLICK HERE<<<<<
Old 08-13-2007, 04:20 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Any ideas on how to find out what material the potting material is. Its black and hard! The good news is that the material has not touched the PCB bottom track side at all. Its a printed PCB and unless its double sided I can figure out the circuit connections.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:21 PM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='458127' date='Aug 13 2007, 08:20 PM
Any ideas on how to find out what material the potting material is. Its black and hard! The good news is that the material has not touched the PCB bottom track side at all. Its a printed PCB and unless its double sided I can figure out the circuit connections.

Resin used is to protect from vibrations. Its normally used for small circuit including control modules like ABS n airbag. I believe that you can just try to heat it up a little to see if it melt. Dont think its double sided PCB. I'll try to check what are the normal resins used.

Great work Bruce.
Old 08-14-2007, 02:03 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='458127' date='Aug 13 2007, 05:20 AM
Well, since you said that it's a hard material it can't be silicone. The "Dynasolve 100" is supposed to work on all other materials except for silicone (see link in my previous post). So it seems like the best option to use. As someone mentioned, heat may work as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Cant seem to find this Dynasolve 100 anywhere in the UK. Does anyone know an alternative or can someone in the US buy this for me. I'll pay for it and shipping.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Contributors

Bruce,

I don't know if you've already checked out the links on the UK Rep. page on Dynaloy's website. There are two Rep's in the UK and also BASF in Germany. Here's the link to that page: >>>>>Dynaloy's Rep's for the UK<<<<<

One of the UK rep's is in Manchester....they're called ECL Chemicals. They supposedly carry Dynaloy products, although I don't know if they specifically carry the Dynasolve 100 or not. Here's what they say on their website: "All Dynaloy products are supplied from stock, with an order turnaround of 2-3 days.
FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT DYNALOY PRODUCTS EMAIL US..."

Here's a link to their website:>>>>>ECL Chemicals Ltd. Website<<<<<

It may be hard for someone to buy it and send it from the US because it may be considered as hazardous material, in which case it may require going through special shipping companies, etc.
Old 08-16-2007, 02:13 AM
Contributors

Thanks for this. Rung up both companies and neither have this in Stock and they wont get it too.

I have now refunded all unshipped orders until I resolve all issues. However you maintain your position in the place and I will contact you when I have a completed product. A few people have reported that their kit started playing up after a few days and so I dont want to ship any more out until I fix the issues. Another thing I just learnt is that Canadian cars are different from US and EU cars in that both outer and middle bulbs light up with the Brake.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 545iA Black Sapphire
Model Year: 2005
Engine: 545i

keep up the good work Bruce !

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working