E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

For those wanting the strobing issues resolved, you'll need to wait a little longer so that I study the parts from the aftermarket lights. I haven't received it as yet. Otherwise I am shipping out the kits as and when I receive the parts from BMW on a first come first serve basis. Biggest issue is that it takes me too long to make each kit.

I'm learning a lot about how different our cars are. 2 people received an iDrive error for the taillights but most didn't - now that issue is resolved and no one should receive the iDrive error. My car requires a resistor for the Turn lights but only on the Left hand side, the Right doesn't need it weird. Wonder now Nick's car doesn't need a resistor on both sides.
Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='453421' date='Jul 31 2007, 01:04 AM
For those wanting the strobing issues resolved, you'll need to wait a little longer so that I study the parts from the aftermarket lights. I haven't received it as yet. Otherwise I am shipping out the kits as and when I receive the parts from BMW on a first come first serve basis. Biggest issue is that it takes me too long to make each kit.

I'm learning a lot about how different our cars are. 2 people received an iDrive error for the taillights but most didn't - now that issue is resolved and no one should receive the iDrive error. My car requires a resistor for the Turn lights but only on the Left hand side, the Right doesn't need it weird. Wonder now Nick's car doesn't need a resistor on both sides.

I think I'm not the only one, some other guys from the group buy, had no turn lights fast blinking issues too
Old 07-30-2007, 10:56 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Nick, I don't get the fast blinking I simply get a right turn light failure message on the iDrive. The lights seem to function and blink fine.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='453575' date='Jul 31 2007, 09:56 AM
Nick, I don't get the fast blinking I simply get a right turn light failure message on the iDrive. The lights seem to function and blink fine.
Ahh Ok!

Very strange thing indeed, that you're getting fault message only for one side turn light
How about to put resistors on both sides turn light, you will get an error from the other side then??
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW ALPINA B5
Cool

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='453421' date='Jul 31 2007, 01:04 AM

I have waited - guess am in no rush! hehehehe as long as this annoying blinking stops!!!!!!!!!! I feel like I want to kill the tail lights! Just kidding!
Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='453576' date='Jul 31 2007, 08:06 AM
Ahh Ok!

Very strange thing indeed, that you're getting fault message only for one side turn light
How about to put resistors on both sides turn light, you will get an error from the other side then??
If I put a resistor on both the side turn lights then I do not get any error message. Did you mean put a resistor on the side giving the error?
Old 07-31-2007, 03:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='453733' date='Aug 1 2007, 12:48 AM
If I put a resistor on both the side turn lights then I do not get any error message.
So, why don't you do it somehow universal, with resistors on left and right turn lights, so it will work then without faults on all cars, independently what CIP version or what LCM module they have?
Is there any side effect?
Old 08-01-2007, 02:38 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by nicke60gre' post='453762' date='Aug 1 2007, 12:18 AM
So, why don't you do it somehow universal, with resistors on left and right turn lights, so it will work then without faults on all cars, independently what CIP version or what LCM module they have?
Is there any side effect?
This is exactly how I've done it from day one i.e. always have the resistors connected. There are no negative side effects but I was trying to make the kit a bit for flexible and thus avoid the extra heat created by the resistors if you don't need it. And although I thought I didn't need it on my car I actually do, on one side at least. Problem is all my previous tests were carried out on the right hand side that doesn't need the resistor, hence my view and surprise when I found out that the my left side needed it.
Old 08-03-2007, 09:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

Got my cables from Bruce today and I am very happy with the result. These tailights are stunning!!! Everyone that saw them was shocked!!! Thanks Bruce for the great work!!! I have attached a small cell cam picture, sorry about the quality..

attachment=46512:ef0d699ce64ad.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-ef0d699ce64ad.jpg  
Old 08-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Contributors

katheikia, glad you can enjoy the beautiful taillights! also, the amber color
turn signal is much better looking than the the standard US red ones!!

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working