E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 11:20 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 535d sport, Silver Grey/grey/maple. 20" Hartge Nova 7. Previously 19" staggered 172s

Interesting thread, said he arriving somewhat late.

I have been having a similar battle from trying to use LED trailer lights with the OE electrics.

The only observation I have which you may find constructive is that the behaviour is not consistent. Sometimes indicators work OK, and the next minute they are too fast. Sometimes in one operation they will go fast and then slow.

Sometimes the lights will strobe and then work OK, other times the strobing continues indefinitely.

I have the most problems with tail lights, they seem to offer a smaller load than the brighter lights. I think that the trailer lights could have more individual LEDs in them than the LCIs.

Old 08-22-2007, 07:37 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='444239' date='Jul 6 2007, 07:00 PM
Instead of continuing with the previous long thread (http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=38905 ) I thought I'd just say that I've finally managed to get this working and put neatly inside a small enough enclosure. Its completely plug and play. The only issue that people may encounter is the intial strobing and occasional strobing of the turn leds which is probably down to the LCM model used on the car.

Attached a few photos of the kit. This one is being put together for Cwest in the US so that he can confirm that it works fine with US spec cars too.

The only problem so far that I've found is that it take too long to put each kit together because its completely custom made and put together by hand. It would have been nice to put this into a black enclosure but I can't seem to find a flame proof black box in the dimensions I was looking for.
It looks Very nice, do you have a price already, i would like to order one if it's not expensive.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:53 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Just to give people an update on the current situation. I have resolved the heat issues for the EU kits (infact it hardly affected the EU kits but did it as a precaution).

I think I got the US kits completely wrong. By completely wrong I meant I didn't understand the way the US lights works to begin with and I still don't.

In the UK and EU when you press the brakes in the pre-LCI lights only the outer light comes on, the middle is reserved for the BFD. I assumed this was also the case for the US cars but with the except that the BFD was moved to the inner circle light - and this is where I think I may be wrong but so far no one is able to help or confirm this.

In Canada I am told that in the pre-LCI lights when you pressed the brake the outer and the middle lights come on.

If this is the case for the US cars as well then I think I do not have a US kit anymore and all kits will be exactly the same. Basically the problem has been that the US kits have been overheating because when you press the brake the middle bulb needs to light up but my circuit is suppressing that and heating up. I should have not suppressed this and allowed the middle light to go bright when the brake is applied.

Long story short the US kit just got more expensive because it now needs twice the number of parts. I will however honour the US kit price for all the re-called kits.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:31 AM
Members

Do you know if your kit will work with an E61? Also how much are they?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

The kit itself will work for the E61 but the E61 uses different lights so it will probably need different plugs and I know it uses a different wiring diagram. I do not have access to an E61 to use as my test mule.

Also : Rudy has confirmed that in the pre-LCI and the LCI cars in the US both the middle and the outer lights become bright (or come on in case of the LCI). So that just means bye bye US kit.
Old 08-29-2007, 06:40 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW ALPINA B5
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='463711' date='Aug 29 2007, 04:49 PM
The kit itself will work for the E61 but the E61 uses different lights so it will probably need different plugs and I know it uses a different wiring diagram. I do not have access to an E61 to use as my test mule.

Also : Rudy has confirmed that in the pre-LCI and the LCI cars in the US both the middle and the outer lights become bright (or come on in case of the LCI). So that just means bye bye US kit.

Any updates on the Strobing??? Did you manage to take a closer look at the After Market Tail you got? Even the E46 LED tail lights have these modules - might be the answer to the strobing!
Attached Thumbnails LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-411nps26z7l.jpg   LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working-bm065_2.jpg  
Old 08-29-2007, 08:04 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='463711' date='Aug 29 2007, 06:49 AM
So no kit for US cars? What about those that already have them? What problems will they have?
Old 08-29-2007, 09:22 AM
Members

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='463711' date='Aug 29 2007, 02:49 PM

Thats a shame, I was planning on using it as my next mod, I guess I wouldn't be a suitable test case as I'm in the UK?

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:28 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

Double shame! I have the LCI tail lights already. It's been sitting under my desk for months now waiting for the retrofit cable.
Old 08-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan' post='463822' date='Aug 29 2007, 06:28 PM
Double shame! I have the LCI tail lights already. It's been sitting under my desk for months now waiting for the retrofit cable.
I think you misunderstood me. What I meant is that I will no longer be offering a separate US and EU kit. Both kits will be exactly the same. And these kits will retain all your original functions and also give you a full LCI effect.

Now if I can only break through that resin compound on those after market lights I should be able to resolve the strobing issue too. - But don't count on it. I can ofcourse always try and see if I can source those modules as complete units and use them inside my kit. That should resolve the strobing issue but may make the kits more expensive.

Quick Reply: LCI Taillights retrofit - finally managed to get this working