E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Just cut a big hole in my fender...

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 02:49 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah the ///M5 is a sticker, its optional, I didn't add it on mine for the obvious reasons... good luck... just double check the size when you do it.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Would you mind snapping another pic from a little further back? I'm almost there in ordering a set but kinda want to see a larger profile view of most of the cars side.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 530xi: Sport, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, HD Radio, SAT, Custom NCS coded options 2008 535xi: Sport, Night Vision, NAV, PDC, HUD, Cold Wthr, CA, Logic 7, SAT, Custom NCS coded options, Rear Seat Heat Retrofit, Passport 9500ci
Model Year: 2008
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Would you mind snapping another pic from a little further back? I'm almost there in ordering a set but kinda want to see a larger profile view of most of the cars side.
I have a set I never installed I will sell to you. All black.
Old 03-29-2012, 05:09 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: I have a 2007 Black Sapphire BMW 530i with SMG. It has the auburn interior, has PDC, Sports Package, Premium Package, rear automatic sunshades with manual side sunshades, 35% black tint, Upgraded angeleyes from Angelibrights, and Logic 7 Sound System
Model Year: 2007

and if you need the regular chrome grill that comes standard on the m5, let me know as well since I am too much of a pansy to cut my fender lol and dont want to pay 200+ to get somebody to do it.
Old 03-29-2012, 02:43 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

if you guys some have sets for sell, PM me. i might be interested as well...
Old 07-23-2012, 09:50 AM
Members

My Ride: OEM Specs - Titanium Silver, Steptronic, Premium Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound Package, Dakota Black Leather, Dark Poplar Wood trim, Xenon Adaptive Head Lights, Navigation, Satellite Radio Mods: Umnitza M5Tech Body Kit(Front, Rear and Side Skirts), Alufelgen 19/8.5 ET35 (Front) 19/9.5 ET35 (Rear), Continental DWS 245/35ZR19 (Front) 275/30ZR19 Rear, MGP Red Caliper Covers, RPI Air Scoops, BMS Power Box, FormulaOne Pinnacle Tint (VA Limits), Angel I Bright 3.0A (Bright White), R1 Premium D/S, Hawk HPS Pads, M5 Trunk Finisher, LCI LED Tail Lamps, Bruce Miranda v6.1 cable, 3M Shadowline Blackout tape, 6K Interior LED kit, Self Design Quad Exhaust (Center Resonator delete, Magnaflow 10791 Tru - X Stainless Steel 2.5" Exhaust Pipe, Vibrant 1793 Stainless Steel Bottle Style Resonator, Yonaka Stainless Steel Dual Exhaust Tips), H&R Sports Springs 29146-1 Vendors Used for Installation- Body Kit- BMW of Fairfax, Fairfax, VA Quad Exhaust- Monroe Brakes And Exhaust, Fairfax, VA Wheels and Tires- Hogan & Sons (Good Year), Ashburn, VA Tints- LA Tint, Manassas, VA Self Design Quad Exhaust- HPS Customs, Glen Burnie, MD H&R Sports Springs- Authority PitStop, VA Self Installs- MGP Caliper Covers, RPI Air Scoops, BMS Power Box, Angel I Bright 3.0A, R1 Premium D/S Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, M5 Trunk Finisher, LCI LED Tail Lamps with Bruce Miranda v6.1 cable, HID 6K Fogs with Canbus Ballasts, 6K License Plate Lights, Stealth Matte Black Grille, 3M Shadowline Blackout tape, 6K Interior LED kit. Retired: Umnitza Quad Exhaust

Originally Posted by Ellicit
thanks guys.

I bought it from eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/320600429906

I used Dremel 3000 https://www.google.com/search?q=Dremel (Search for a good price) you can use other tool too I guess.

the template is included for cutting... but the sizing is incorrect. Please follow Rizbel size: https://5series.net/forums/topic/114...ender-grilles/

btw much thanks to Rizbel.
I really want to do this mod. Looked at your post and bought Grills from ebay and Dremel 3000 from Lowes. Before attempting on the fender, i thought of trying this out on a flat metal sheet. So, i got one from Home Depot. I masked the sheet with the blue painters tape. I was not sure if i should use the trace which i got with the grills or the grill itself. So, i used the grill's outer shell to trace on the tape. I then used Dremel with Metal Cut off wheel to cut the trace on the metal sheet. It was difficult while cutting the round corners as sometimes, the wheel would just run off of the trace. Finally, after i made the hole, i tried to fit the grill's outer shell onto the hole. But, the grill was not fitting inside the hole. Now, that i did not succeed, i do not want to try it on the fender itself. So, i thought of asking you for your tips to succeed.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2009.5 E60 550i MSport 2011 E90 ///M3 ZCP

Originally Posted by turboawd
the whole front end and fenders and door skins are aluminum.
then the front end of my M3 is made from plastic, fact.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Navy 550I

dis kiid has balls!!!
Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Well if E can do it I can do it lol. You're correct, it's not that hard just scary as hell! No room to make a mistake on the high end of cutting because the hole will be too large and obviously won't be covered. This was my fear. The templates that come with this is total crap and useless so you will have to make another one. I used a combination of tools. A small air recip saw, drill, dremmel with a spiral cutter and a skill saw. I found the skill saw with a metal blade was the easiest and cleanest. I went with the carbon fiber trim grills. They were a bit more pricey, but I wanted a little more than just black. I used the same process as E so I won't post those pics.
Just cut a big hole in my fender...-grills.jpgJust cut a big hole in my fender...-car_grill.jpg
Old 07-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by tonyb635
Well if E can do it I can do it lol. You're correct, it's not that hard just scary as hell! No room to make a mistake on the high end of cutting because the hole will be too large and obviously won't be covered. This was my fear. The templates that come with this is total crap and useless so you will have to make another one. I used a combination of tools. A small air recip saw, drill, dremmel with a spiral cutter and a skill saw. I found the skill saw with a metal blade was the easiest and cleanest. I went with the carbon fiber trim grills. They were a bit more pricey, but I wanted a little more than just black. I used the same process as E so I won't post those pics.
Attachment 135236Attachment 135237
Not feeling the Mod....Your car is either a M5 or isn't. M5 mods on other models doesn't make sense to me

Quick Reply: Just cut a big hole in my fender...