E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 09:24 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And, as an aside, since I consult for small businesses as my other job, I'm going to offer you a word of advice. Never promote your product at the expense of your competitor's. Look on the front page of your website:

We're not here to sell you a part or service that isn't going to improve your car. There are plenty of other places for that.
Clearly, your entire corporate philosophy is "our product is better" - which is fine. But instead of emphasizing how your product is better, you've continually emphasized that other products are worse.

You know who else does that? Microsoft.

Did you read the front page of the Wall Street Journal today? They've posted a 29% LOSS in sales despite mounting a MASSIVE and wildly expensive ad campaign against Apple in the "You find it, you buy it" campaign (which smears Apple products).
Granted, Apple is guilty of this too, but the point remains valid.

Your strategy may have worked this far but it won't take long for customers to realize they're being manipulated, and they will (yes, will) lose respect for you and your company. Ceteris Paribus.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:27 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='953011' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:24 AM
And, as an aside, since I consult for small businesses as my other job, I'm going to offer you a word of advice. Never promote your product at the expense of your competitor's. Look on the front page of your website:

Clearly, your entire corporate philosophy is "our product is better" - which is fine. But instead of emphasizing how your product is better, you've continually emphasized that other products are worse.

You know who else does that? Microsoft.

Did you read the front page of the Wall Street Journal today? They've posted a 29% LOSS in sales despite their campaign against Apple in the "You find it, you buy it" campaign (which smears Apple products).
Granted, Apple is guilty of this too, but the point remains valid.

Your strategy may have worked this far but it won't take long for customers to realize they're being manipulated, and they will (yes, will) lose respect for you and your company. Ceteris Paribus.
Ok, so you have no answers for the AFE intakes you are pushing so you are not talking about Wallstreet, Microsoft, etc? As you may rely on business tactics and marketing, we rely on making proven parts that people envy and thats why companies like AFE copy our scoops. lol
Old 07-24-2009, 09:31 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by RPIpower' post='953004' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:22 PM
Any real tuner can tell you that the AFE intakes dont work.
Again - no facts, no proof. Just attempts to state fact.
Also, comparing a 5 series to a 3 series is apple's to oranges.

I can provide dyno runs proving horsepower gains despite NUMEROUS runs in 90 degree california weather.
I can provide air flow efficiency ratings, with hard data.

All you can provide is "it will go into limp mode."

Also, the fact that you want me to bring in a stock car and then install an aFe intake again reiterates that you've probably tested the products wrong. 50-100 miles for calibration.

My aside (which I mentioned to be an aside) was for YOUR benefit. I fully addressed your ludicrous statements in a prior post.

Anyways, I'm done with this. We'll agree to disagree. Also, I'll continue to chuckle that you think your company knows something that an $XX,000,000/year OEM Supplier to the largest auto maker in the world doesn't know. Are you daft? Which companies do you manufacture OEM Equipment for?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:41 AM
Contributors

My Ride: A Car faster than yours.....

Originally Posted by Jlevi SW' post='953024' date='Jul 24 2009, 10:31 AM
Again - no facts, no proof. Just attempts to state fact.
Also, comparing a 5 series to a 3 series is apple's to oranges.

I can provide dyno runs proving horsepower gains despite NUMEROUS runs in 90 degree california weather.
I can provide air flow efficiency ratings, with hard data.

All you can provide is "it will go into limp mode."

OEM Supplier to the largest auto maker in the world[/b] doesn't know. Are you daft? Which companies do you manufacture OEM Equipment for?
Based on your statements:

"I can provide dyno runs proving horsepower gains despite NUMEROUS runs in 90 degree california weather."

You obviously dont know us the same way other E60.net people do as you have no idea how we dyno or test products. That statement just proved it.

"comparing a 5 series to a 3 series is apple's to oranges"

Engine tuning all works they same way. Again, you'll need to learn about that since you dont think the basic principles of tuning apply to all makes and models. Have you ever wondered why modern cars have sealed plastic air boxes?

"I can provide air flow efficiency ratings, with hard data"

So you are basically telling us how fast hot air can be sucked in.

"All you can provide is "it will go into limp mode."

The map table might be too complex so I'll try to explain it easier. The DMEs are programmed to pull a certain amount of timing based on the equipment the car has. So, at the hottest possible condition, the ecu can pull lets say 10deg of timing to prevent knock, assuming the factory intake is there. Engineers test the oem cars at all different temperatures and have determined that the stock intake can only get so hot so 10deg is sufficient to prevent knock. When you put an aftermarket intake that is WORSE than stock, the ecu is not programmed to pull enough timing to prevent knock or engine damage. So the maximum amount of ignition timing is taken out and the ecu is still seeing knock and high IATs, it will go into a limp mode. Im sure many people have experienced this themselves, particularly in hot weather. It does NOT happen with the stock intake box.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

Who supports RPI? I do! Here's what should happen next. If someone still has an AFE intake, can they please do a run with a car with stock intake? Forget the RPI scoop, it's going to have more power. Stock is less power so AFE vs Stock Intake and see what happens.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i Production date: 02/04 Color: Black Sapphire Metallic Trim: Anthracite Options: Sport package with STEPTRONIC, Premium Sound, Rear Sunshade, Xenon

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='953049' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:44 PM
Who supports RPI? I do! Here's what should happen next. If someone still has an AFE intake, can they please do a run with a car with stock intake? Forget the RPI scoop, it's going to have more power. Stock is less power so AFE vs Stock Intake and see what happens.
+1 Rpi
Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='953049' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:44 PM
More misunderstandings. An intake adds 5-12hp maybe depending on the car. That amount is not going to make enough of a difference to offset these factors:
-Do the cars have equal mileage
-Does one driver drive the car more aggressively, ergo the ECU has learned his habits
-Does one car have more gas and/or weight in it?
-Do both drivers have the exact same response times
-Do both cars have the same tire pressure?
-Same wheels?
-Same engine oil temp prior to the test?
-Same weight of passengers?

There are just SO many factors. The main point we're making here is that AFE intakes DO NOT lose power. It's just not possible, given the amount of research and testing being completed at aFe. I'm sorry you've all been misled by RPI and others.

Now, I'll kindly ask that we discontinue this tangent - my thread is not about comparing products, it's sharing content that I spent HOURS editing, typing, and posting so that people could learn something and enjoy it.
On every other forums, members have been enjoying the thread for what it is - only E60.net has to make this a product comparison and sabotage our thread.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
Contributors

Moving on.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributors

JLevi, instead of wasting time on the forums why don't you bring a car out to the dyno day? or better yet to a street race to clear up all the confusion? if Rpi is mis-informed then why would they challenge you to either? And if AFE is truly does not lose power like you say, why wouldn't you accept the challenge? Prove us e60.net people wrong. Until you show us some sort of proof that an AFE car can beat a RPi car, you're products will never sell here or on any other forum.
Old 07-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by GENEaTALS' post='952919' date='Jul 24 2009, 12:14 PM
This is getting better.

Quick Reply: Jlevi SW | Full Factory Tour of aFe - See How It's Made w/ Photos