E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

IPod Interface

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 03:46 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone in UK got any news about this yet. I have spoke to several BMW parts departments today and they didn't even know that this was due for release. One emailed BMW (i assume UK HQ) and they have said it is still being tested.

Does anyone know any different?

If it aint comin soon then i'm gettin an AUX kit put on mine.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aski' post='307053' date='Jul 5 2006, 12:46 PM
Anyone in UK got any news about this yet. I have spoke to several BMW parts departments today and they didn't even know that this was due for release. One emailed BMW (i assume UK HQ) and they have said it is still being tested.

I'm happy with 7 hours of MP3 per CD.

But maybe my "needs" are simple.

ABC
Old 07-05-2006, 06:51 AM
Members

My Ride: Ordered: 530D Touring Silver Gray (A08), Auburn Dakota Leather (LCRK), Maple Wood, Steptronic, Bluetooth, 116 style 17'', Railbars, Sport suspension, Sport stering wheel

Originally Posted by aski' post='307053' date='Jul 5 2006, 05:46 AM

In Italy BMW says the iPod connector is available for the Z4 only.....
I will keep waiting, since I do not have mp3 support.
Old 07-05-2006, 09:38 AM
Members

Hexagon in London seemed to know about the new Ipod interface when I took my car in for a check recently. They did not know when it was coming to the UK but they knew it exisited.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:39 AM
Members

I spoke to my dealer a month ago and they said that they expect it to follow about 2 months after the US release in July. This is apparently what happened with the Z4's connector. I have also spoken to BMW HQ and they have said that the release date for the UK is unconfirmed.

If you have an E60 on order the Aux connector is now standard. It's in an annoying place though - at the back of the center armrest.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Just get the AUX input.... it is a better choice because:

1. It is available now.... as far as we know, the iPod interface is still vapourware.

2. It is more versatile. You can use an iPod with it, or any player by another make.

3. It is more future-proof. If Apple releases a new iPod and they change the dock connector, you won't be out of luck.

4. Besides, we should be teaching BMW a lesson.... that they need to release these things sooner. Too little, too late. Just like the RAZR phone dock.... by the time they released it, the RAZR is obsolete. So we shouldn't reward them for lagging behind by purchasing them.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='307175' date='Jul 5 2006, 03:47 PM
Just get the AUX input.... it is a better choice because:
1. It is available now.... as far as we know, the iPod interface is still vapourware.

2. It is more versatile. You can use an iPod with it, or any player by another make.

3. It is more future-proof. If Apple releases a new iPod and they change the dock connector, you won't be out of luck.
4. Besides, we should be teaching BMW a lesson.... that they need to release these things sooner. Too little, too late. Just like the RAZR phone dock.... by the time they released it, the RAZR is obsolete. So we shouldn't reward them for lagging behind by purchasing them.
The AUX input is crippled with the resistors to protect the radio. It lacks any ability to control the iPod remotely and there is no iDrive/remote display with the AUX plug. The dock is so wide spread that even if Apple stops using it in favor of some thing else you would likely see a dock-to-new-dock adapter offered out there. Personally, I don't see the dock going away anytime soon. Even if Apple came out with an HD version of the iPod (not likely) the dock is capable of the data rate. The only points I'll give you is #1 and #4.
Old 07-05-2006, 04:22 PM
Senior Members

Spoke to my dealer this morning and they say not to hold my breath!!!

They've been waiting for this for a long time....it seems the July release date isn't going to happen!

Having said that my 2007 530i came with the aux input on the back of the center console and it's really not that great! The input resistors prevent you from getting decent volume. I know there's a mod that can remove them, but I'm not into taking things apart and messing with the electronics of the vehicle. At this point waiting for the new MOST Ipod interface could be slow and using the aux inputs really sucks! (IMHO)....... Not to mention you'll be faced with the problem of having to find a place to stick the ipod so that its out of the way yet easily accessible to change tracks etc..since you can't control it from the idrive!!

Anyone experiment with removing the resistors? was it simple enough?
Old 07-05-2006, 06:59 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='307243' date='Jul 5 2006, 08:22 PM
Anyone experiment with removing the resistors? was it simple enough?
I don't think the 2007's are as easy to remove as the dealer installed AUX option. When I took my center console appart to install the phone adapter I looked for the resistor and it wasn't visible. It might have been further up the wire closer to the radio but I wasn't going to trace it since it wasn't my main mission at the time. I'll hold off for the real deal when it comes out. Until then I can live with the AUX input using my line out plug on the iPod.
Old 07-05-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The AUX input is crippled with the resistors to protect the radio.
I have 2 responses to this:

1. The capacitors/resistors can be easily removed. I have done so on my E60.... and I posted detailed instructions in the DIY Forum AUX Input DIY

2. The funny thing is.... I have an E90 with Logic 7, and factory installed AUX Input. I have not removed the caps/resistors from the E90 system, and I can't tell an ounce of difference between my iPod on either system. In fact, if anything... it sounds better on the E90 with the caps/resistors.

Quick Reply: IPod Interface