E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:55 PM
nmc
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

There's a mass of iPOD info on the forum, but this topic seems as good as any to ask for more advice.

My agents installed a cigar lighter power source and aux input in the centre console.
The software was upgraded, (I can even play mp3 DVDs in the Nav DVD player), and Aux Input enabled.

I finally purchased the iPOD together with the Monster iCharger and a single male jack to connect line out to aux input.

Problem ? No sound. I've tried the few available combinations of setup using the headphone socket etc but no good; and I did remember to use iDrive to switch over to Aux input.

Before I go back to the agents - does anyone please have any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 11-17-2005, 03:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

Originally Posted by nmc' post='199388' date='Nov 17 2005, 03:55 AM
There's a mass of iPOD info on the forum, but this topic seems as good as any to ask for more advice.

My agents installed a cigar lighter power source and aux input in the centre console.
The software was upgraded, (I can even play mp3 DVDs in the Nav DVD player), and Aux Input enabled.

I finally purchased the iPOD together with the Monster iCharger and a single male jack to connect line out to aux input.

Problem ? No sound. I've tried the few available combinations of setup using the headphone socket etc but no good; and I did remember to use iDrive to switch over to Aux input.

Before I go back to the agents - does anyone please have any ideas what may be wrong?

Thanks,
Neil
If it is no sound at all, then 99.9% probability it was an incorrect install. Even in the most straight forward installs many dealers have not got it right the first time. There was a wire reversal in one set of instructions and most attribute the no sound scenario to the use of these incorrect procedures. However, that was not always the case. With your longer and more custom install, probably a little more that could go wrong, but not a lot. Afraid it is back to the dealer for u.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:13 AM
Members

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='175159' date='Sep 26 2005, 10:00 AM
DLO TransPod will give you a charger, audio output, and a cradle in a single unit that plugs into your cigarette adapter.

DLO TransPod

Can you post a pitcure of how/where you plugged your transpod in? I ordered one and I'm finding it hard to adjust it correctly.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride:

Originally Posted by Ralph-NL' post='175631' date='Sep 27 2005, 09:18 AM
Hi, i found a fm carkit for ipod(mini), maybe this is an idea.... But i don't know if the holder fits because there isn't much space around the cigarette lighter. Heard the sound quality is very good, my friend uses it in his vw.
Price is 35euro and shipping within NL is 5,5euro

http://www.ipodcarkit.nl/carkit/index.html

Does anyone on the forum have any first hand experience of using these FM radiating iPOD kits.
The concept sounds plausible, but I would like to know what they're like in reality before investing in one?

Oh, and if anyone would care to post their pictures of how/where they mounted their iPOD in the car it would give us guys who are just about to do likewise a steer on how to go.

Thanks in advance.
Andy
Old 11-17-2005, 08:05 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Andy E61' post='199522
Hi, i found a fm carkit for ipod(mini), maybe this is an idea.... But i don't know if the holder fits because there isn't much space around the cigarette lighter. Heard the sound quality is very good, my friend uses it in his vw.
Price is 35euro and shipping within NL is 5,5euro

http://www.ipodcarkit.nl/carkit/index.html

Does anyone on the forum have any first hand experience of using these FM radiating iPOD kits.
The concept sounds plausible, but I would like to know what they're like in reality before investing in one?

Oh, and if anyone would care to post their pictures of how/where they mounted their iPOD in the car it would give us guys who are just about to do likewise a steer on how to go.

Thanks in advance.
Andy
[/quote]

See link in my post above.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

I have the Belkin FM transmitter and dont use it at all. Its difficult to maintain a clean signal if you live in an area where there are lots of radio stations.
Old 11-17-2005, 08:24 AM
Members

My Ride: [b]1993 Toyota Supra MKIV (6-speed Targa top) - SP67DBB Single Turbo[/b]

Have a look at my install. I had a phonemount fitted with the BMW Aux wired to a Dension Icelink (the non brand specific). The iPod is in perfect view and can be operated easily. The Dension cradle charges the iPod as well and has a decent audio out.

Because my Eten M500 Pocket PC phone does not work with the BMW Bluetooth I also had a Parrot CK3100 Bluetooth carkit installed with the display below the Dension cradle.

BTW the iPod is a carbon colored iPod Photo 60GB from Colorware PC. I will probably upgrade to a new black iPod Video.
Attached Thumbnails iPod Installation-pict1144.jpg