E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod Installation

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 06:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this information is probably in here somewhere but hopefully somebody can give me the full story.

I've just bought a 2 year old 530d (Oct 2003 model) and want to install my iPod. I understand that it can't be fully integrated with the i-drive but want the following:

1. To be selected as the audio source and control volume etc. from the i-drive.

2. Have the iPod mounted somewhere where I can operate it and see it whilst driving.

3. Have the iPod recharged whilst cradled.

I understand that there is an Aux kit but it looks like that goes in the glove box and therefore doesn't help with 2 and 3 above.

Does anybody know if I can do this with individual kits or whether there is a single kit that doers all of the above?
Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

There is no "single kit" that does it all.

Your best bet is to get the Auxiliary Audio Input, which takes care of 1. for you.

Then, get the Auxiliary Power Adapter, also for the glovebox (plugs into the flashlight charging socket). Also get something like the Monster Cable iCarCharger, which will give you a cigarette lighter plug AND audio input via the docking connector. I've described this a bit here.

The best bet will then be to hope that you can somehow route the single cord out of the glovebox and still be able to close the glovebox (I haven't tried it yet on an E60, but have done something similar on an E39 - I'd imagine there would be a space or room somewhere for the cable to come out without being smashed/pinched, but as I said, this is the only thing I haven't specifically tried on an E60).

This way, you have power and audio input all handled within the glovebox, and only a single cable coming out which attaches to the iPod's docking connector.

As for mounting, this will be up to you. There are several ways you might mount it, including generic suction cup mounts for the windshield and various other devices. I've seen velcro, double-sided tape, cell phone brackets, and all manner of things. Good luck!
Old 09-26-2005, 06:59 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I use a Belkin cradle that fits inside the driver's side cup holder on the E60. It is made by Belkin and is called a Tun Doc holder. This allows me to view the ipod without having to reach around for it.

I have the AUX in plug in my glove box. No problem getting the glove box to close with the cable passing through. Power is from the cig lighter with a monster power cord adapter.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:00 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

DLO TransPod will give you a charger, audio output, and a cradle in a single unit that plugs into your cigarette adapter.

DLO TransPod
Old 09-26-2005, 07:29 AM
stu
Members

Good info , thanks guys.
I've managed to resist getting one so far , on the basis that there is always something better around the corner! A bit like spending 37K GBP on a 530D SE only to hear news of the 535D sport as you leave the showroom.

Are any of the integration issues different with the ipod nano?
I guess 4Gb will do me and it looks really slim + reasonable price too ( 179GBP). Any comments ?
Old 09-26-2005, 07:33 AM
das
Site Founders

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2021 F93 M8 Competition

Originally Posted by stu' date='Sep 26 2005, 09:29 AM
Good info , thanks guys.
I've managed to resist getting one so far , on the basis that there is always something better around the corner! A bit like spending 37K GBP on a 530D SE only to hear news of the 535D sport as you leave the showroom.

Are any of the integration issues different with the ipod nano?
I guess 4Gb will do me and it looks really slim + reasonable price too ( 179GBP). Any comments ?
[snapback]175165[/snapback]
Nope, the iPod nano has the same docking/charging connector and same audio output as all other iPods with dock connectors. I have a black 4GB iPod nano and love it.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:34 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

I did a hardwire install of my iPod. Aux input installed in glove box, iPod in center armrest--pix & info here:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=12430
Old 09-27-2005, 12:37 AM
nmc
Members

My Ride: On order 530D Platinum Bronze/Natural Brown Comfort seats,sunroof,PDC, Nav pro,Aux In,Xenons, Alarm, tinted glass. ETD 27.06.07

If you ask your dealer nicely, he'll install a cigar lighter socket in the central armrest in the space below the phone shoe, as well as the Aux Input socket. Then you can put your Monster iCharger in there together with your iPOD. Cost ? Euros 220.
Old 09-27-2005, 01:18 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Hi, i found a fm carkit for ipod(mini), maybe this is an idea.... But i don't know if the holder fits because there isn't much space around the cigarette lighter. Heard the sound quality is very good, my friend uses it in his vw.
Price is 35euro and shipping within NL is 5,5euro

http://www.ipodcarkit.nl/carkit/index.html
Old 09-27-2005, 01:21 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

I just thought of this, maybe it's an idea to disconnect the holder from the cigarette plug, make the wires longer, and then you can hide the wires and put the holder anywhere you like. I think i might try this myself

Quick Reply: iPod Installation