E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

iPod adapter question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by r9ndy' post='449146' date='Jul 18 2007, 12:46 AM
I had trouble with the random feature as well and I heard depending on the firmware version random feature will work. I have the 1st gen nano firmware version 1.3.1 (latest update) and I couldn't get that to work.. Today i tested the random feature on a friend's 2nd gen nano ipod firmware version 1.1.3 and what do you know it worked! so i'm going to try to revert back to the old firmware version for my 1st gen nano.

As far as I know random works on:
Ver 1.1.3 2nd gen ipod nano

if anyone else got their random to work on the idrive let us know what version you have.
I've got the 1.1.4 on a 2nd gen and it works.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 PM
Members

>Smart playlist are the key to enjoying this not so perfect system.

Not exactly!

even that is bug ridden, at least on non Nav models. The adaptor will only display a limited number of playlists. So if you attempt to try and play all your 80GB of music by creating smart playlists by (say) artist A, B, C etc you hit bug number one: If any smart playlist contains over a 1000 tracks then this and all subsequent playlists won't display. You work around that by limiting the playlist and instead creating more of them, then you hit bug number 2: smart playlists won't display at all past a certain number that seems related to the total number of tracks you are trying to display in the smartlist menu, there is thread on this somewhere.

as another user said I pretty much despair on playing anything like all my tracks on the 80GB Ipod, I can see no workaround for the bugs. One might call this a "half an IPOD adapter" as it pertains to the larger IPODS.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:26 PM
Members

I do not agree with all the people experiencing problems with the Ipod connection. I took delivery of my new car last friday. I installed the connector and Ipod (60Gb) and everything seems to work fine. I have al my songs available, I've choosen the random option and when I skip a song it's done randomly and it stays in the random mode.

Now, it is true that when you have turned-off the car and get back in that you don't see the whole list anymore but only the song been actually played. If you want to see which is the next selected song than just spin the idrive knob a couple of times and press the skip button. You'll see that the song being played is highlighted and then you can use your idrive knob to skip one or more songs and stay in random mode.

For me this option is a great one and worth all its money. They only thing I do miss is when I'm browsing albums, artists, etc that you don't get the smart search feature like on the ipod where the first letter is displayed. But maybe that will be available in the future.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:59 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 525i, Silver Metallic, Black Leather, Automatic, Premium, Cold Weather, Xenons.

Originally Posted by venturi300' post='449634' date='Jul 19 2007, 03:26 AM
I do not agree with all the people experiencing problems with the Ipod connection. I took delivery of my new car last friday. I installed the connector and Ipod (60Gb) and everything seems to work fine. I have al my songs available, I've choosen the random option and when I skip a song it's done randomly and it stays in the random mode.

Now, it is true that when you have turned-off the car and get back in that you don't see the whole list anymore but only the song been actually played. If you want to see which is the next selected song than just spin the idrive knob a couple of times and press the skip button. You'll see that the song being played is highlighted and then you can use your idrive knob to skip one or more songs and stay in random mode.

For me this option is a great one and worth all its money. They only thing I do miss is when I'm browsing albums, artists, etc that you don't get the smart search feature like on the ipod where the first letter is displayed. But maybe that will be available in the future.
Do you have the USB connector or the iPod connector in the glove box?
Old 07-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Formula1' post='449697' date='Jul 19 2007, 03:59 PM
Do you have the USB connector or the iPod connector in the glove box?

I have the USB connector