E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Introducing the all new dension bmw I-con drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012 | 05:20 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by buddy
noooooooooooooooooooooooo dont switch this has got to come 180 I to have a ipod touch and a ipod classic, ipod nano, hell even the second gen iphone, but they are just so locked down my new droid razor with hdmi mirroring and the ability to connect to my 500 gig hard drive at home via the internet, google nav and it's rooted and grand fathered unlimited internet, and able to use vz mobile hot spot is all I would need for now and the future please express to him how his sales would increase with both platforms being able to be used . Come to think of it all they would have to do is use the docking station technology already in android phones
I totally agree tapping into the android docking station would be a great idea, and it's true too many products come out for ios but I guess apple just have that type of cred on the streets. I will definitely ask him if there is an android solution possible but since your phone has hdmi mirroring capabilities maybe you want to consider just buying a regular video adapter for your I drive this way you can see everything going on on your phone downside would be no I drive control though..... I've considered doing this because I have a slingbox app on my htc but I'm waiting for the bigger picture.
Old 02-08-2012 | 05:26 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 525xi

Originally Posted by spediegunz
I totally agree tapping into the android docking station would be a great idea, and it's true too many products come out for ios but I guess apple just have that type of cred on the streets. I will definitely ask him if there is an android solution possible but since your phone has hdmi mirroring capabilities maybe you want to consider just buying a regular video adapter for your I drive this way you can see everything going on on your phone downside would be no I drive control though..... I've considered doing this because I have a slingbox app on my htc but I'm waiting for the bigger picture.
Add me to the list of Android users!

But yup - Apple just has a very very large and powerful reach into many markets. Just look at all the other cars that come with iPod compatibility built in. There's no other device that can say that.

However, Android is getting bigger and better (especially with Ice Cream Sandwich), and it's becoming easier to create peripherals for it. I would love one where I can plug in the phone via USB to the car and be able to control Google Music or Pandora through the steering wheel buttons.
Old 02-08-2012 | 05:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Numero Uno in Richmond Va 04 530 6 speed, jet black, black dakota leather, xenons, red rear reflectors, 545 front grill, cold weather package, premium package, staggered 19 inch BBS rxII/michelins, H&R coilovers and intergrated, R1 concept drilled an
Model Year: 2004
Engine: 530i

Thanks I to use the slingbox app on my phone and my hacked touch pad and I just love the ability to use my phone as i want to even if i did not root it, it just had so much potential as a smart phone I every time is do something else to it thanks again and I yield and wait
Old 02-08-2012 | 05:55 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, AW

very interesting...currently i don't have a problem using the aux in on my iphone but if this pops up anytime soon i might have to jump on board, the notification pop ups is legit! I'm sure text messages would do the same pop up function
Old 02-08-2012 | 07:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Can I just directly replace my dension with this unit?
Old 02-08-2012 | 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tex_phil
Can I just directly replace my dension with this unit?
Supposedly yes it will. I was told that it would directly over the phone with someone at dension, unfortunately we all have to be skeptical about every thing it promises to be because there is barely any literature subject any specs released, any diagram or picture of the actual device really nothing yet but it youtube commercial yet he still promises me that it will be out on march so I'm optimistic crossing my fingers but I'm not gonna be stupid. from the tonality of the man's voice I spoke to yesterday yes they will come out with the product but he didn't hesitate a lot on the date of this product will actually be out
Old 02-09-2012 | 08:26 AM
Senior Members

here is an update from my friend at dension, I asked him for an updated website with more information about the icon drive and he informed me 1 will be coming out soon. he told me the reason for the delay is they are trying to make the icon drive compatible with all versions of ccc professional by opening all bus. the icon drive currently functional with only the 2007 to 2009 factory ccc professional systems I asked him about 2004 to 2006 models and he told me it may work with those cars that have received an idrive update( 4 example and enabling mp3 capabilities would have caused you to update your ccc).
he said to me everyday testing is going on and they are expecting the icon drive to be fully compatible with all e60 models with ccc.

besides the features you saw in the video like a text message on facebook alerts and telephone steering wheel control. you will also have ability to add av components to the icon drive such as a dvd player or a hard drive based player or a back up camera. here are some of the differences between this device and the gateway 500. 1st and foremost all of the above spoken about features comes from 1 unit unlike the gateway 500 where you would need to connect an avr and a bta 1500 to give you bluetooth and video on idrive screens. second difference is the gateway 500 allows you to plug in usb devices. this device will only work with recent model ipod touchs and iphones. no usb at all. finally something else this device brings to you a more up to date bluetooth spectrum so many of you who have problems syncing your current model futuristic phones to your gateway 500 or the stock bmw built in bluetooth and your devices cannot pair up....this 1 will be able to pair up with them.

for those of you disappointed a fact that this is the only made for I o s devices fret not I asked him about android and he said hopefully by quarter 3 of this year a device will be out specifically just for android controlled by the I drive, he said to me the issue is not so much that android is not a big as big of a platform but there so many different versions of android device every phone is different and it's very difficult to find a way to get I drive to control all of them, as far as hdmi mirroring that can be done easily.

lastly he told me that he will be available to answer most of your questions through me he gave me his email address unfortunately I'm not allowed to share it with you guy because he doesn't want a barrage of emails coming in and he is quite busy but if you have any questions and post on the forum I can email him and he would be glad to answer any questions about the upcoming icon drive release.
Old 02-09-2012 | 09:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 550I,Space Grey,Hud,Cold Weather,M - Sport, matched GP Thunder headlights and Fogs,,Smoked Badges, Night Vision, Heated Seats,Rear Sunshades, Aux Audio, SAT, NAV, Black Grills, Sprint Booster, Dinan Cold Air, Stage 2 Dinan Software.....More to come soon

Originally Posted by spediegunz
here is an update from my friend at dension, I asked him for an updated website with more information about the icon drive and he informed me 1 will be coming out soon. he told me the reason for the delay is they are trying to make the icon drive compatible with all versions of ccc professional by opening all bus. the icon drive currently functional with only the 2007 to 2009 factory ccc professional systems I asked him about 2004 to 2006 models and he told me it may work with those cars that have received an idrive update( 4 example and enabling mp3 capabilities would have caused you to update your ccc).
he said to me everyday testing is going on and they are expecting the icon drive to be fully compatible with all e60 models with ccc.

besides the features you saw in the video like a text message on facebook alerts and telephone steering wheel control. you will also have ability to add av components to the icon drive such as a dvd player or a hard drive based player or a back up camera. here are some of the differences between this device and the gateway 500. 1st and foremost all of the above spoken about features comes from 1 unit unlike the gateway 500 where you would need to connect an avr and a bta 1500 to give you bluetooth and video on idrive screens. second difference is the gateway 500 allows you to plug in usb devices. this device will only work with recent model ipod touchs and iphones. no usb at all. finally something else this device brings to you a more up to date bluetooth spectrum so many of you who have problems syncing your current model futuristic phones to your gateway 500 or the stock bmw built in bluetooth and your devices cannot pair up....this 1 will be able to pair up with them.

for those of you disappointed a fact that this is the only made for I o s devices fret not I asked him about android and he said hopefully by quarter 3 of this year a device will be out specifically just for android controlled by the I drive, he said to me the issue is not so much that android is not a big as big of a platform but there so many different versions of android device every phone is different and it's very difficult to find a way to get I drive to control all of them, as far as hdmi mirroring that can be done easily.

lastly he told me that he will be available to answer most of your questions through me he gave me his email address unfortunately I'm not allowed to share it with you guy because he doesn't want a barrage of emails coming in and he is quite busy but if you have any questions and post on the forum I can email him and he would be glad to answer any questions about the upcoming icon drive release.
One thing comes to mind right-A-way, PRICE or ball park of it!
Old 02-09-2012 | 10:08 AM
Senior Members

Between 400-500 dollats
Old 02-13-2012 | 01:34 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528i, AW

givin the recent information...where do i sign up? haha

Quick Reply: Introducing the all new dension bmw I-con drive