E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Introducing the all new dension bmw I-con drive

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 02:46 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm also interested in this product.

Has anyone had any compatibility issues installing the unit on a 2004 E60 with CCC Navigation Professional?

Has anyone done a review of this product?

Thanks.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:30 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Chief Holley
Spedie, is this your car? Do you still have your modmynav ipod multimedia interface connected with functions such as rear camera as well or did you remove this once you got the Icon?
no I still use the mod my nav. The video I posted what a friend of mine who has the icon drive
Old 06-13-2013, 01:47 AM
Members

I don't know, I may take a leap of faith and purchase it. I am looking for a nice rear camera now.
Old 06-13-2013, 02:25 AM
Senior Members

I don't know, I may take a leap of faith and purchase it. I am looking for a nice rear camera now.
When doing my research each has its negatives and positives

(+)Mmn comes with back up cam and automatically switches on screen when you put the car in reverse
(-)Icon does not come with cam and if you purchase a cam to use with it when you switch to reverse if you want to see cam on screen you have to manually switch to the video input that your cam is plugged into.

(+)Mmn allows you to switch between split/half screen view and full screen view on all inputs
(-)Icon only shows on half screen

(+)Mmn has 4 Inputs including back up camera that you can plug anything to it like ( gaming system, dvd player ,front view camusing a/v cables
(-)Icon is limited to 2 inputs one for back up cam and the other strictly for an iOS device with 30pin connector ( at the moment no lighting cable support so that means no iPhone 5 or newer iPods )

(-)Mmn has no car controls for any device you plug into it
(+) icon will let you control your iPod/iPhone through idrive controller and steering wheel buttons

(+) icon drive operates on fiber optic so it will sound better because of which it doesn't require a need for an aux jack great news for older e60s without aux
(-) mmn requires a need for aux to bring you sound and since aux is analog it doesn't sound as good as it could if it were digital like fiber optic connection.

(+) icon drive packages with Bluetooth with caller I'd on screen once again great for older e60s that come without bt
(-) mmn gives no option for Bluetooth addon

Based on your needs one of these might be better for you than the other
Old 06-13-2013, 03:02 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: s5

I was about to get the Gateway 500 but now will wait.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:12 AM
Members

Originally Posted by spediegunz

(+)Mmn comes with back up cam and automatically switches on screen when you put the car in reverse
(-)Icon does not come with cam and if you purchase a cam to use with it when you switch to reverse if you want to see cam on screen you have to manually switch to the video input that your cam is plugged into.

(+)Mmn allows you to switch between split/half screen view and full screen view on all inputs

(+)Mmn has 4 Inputs including back up camera that you can plug anything to it like ( gaming system, dvd player ,front view camusing a/v cables
(-)Icon is limited to 2 inputs one for back up cam and the other strictly for an iOS device with 30pin connector ( at the moment no lighting cable support so that means no iPhone 5 or newer iPods )

(+) icon will let you control your iPod/iPhone through idrive controller and steering wheel buttons

(+) icon drive operates on fiber optic so it will sound better because of which it doesn't require a need for an aux jack great news for older e60s without aux
(-) mmn requires a need for aux to bring you sound and since aux is analog it doesn't sound as good as it could if it were digital like fiber optic connection.

(+) icon drive packages with Bluetooth with caller I'd on screen once again great for older e60s that come without bt

You do make some very valid points, thanks for posting them. I was doing a little more research and your post with your setup came up. I like your setup way better and it meets all of the things I want. I was looking at the carlinkx, the dension icon, and there was another one that I can't remember the name. My thoughts...eh. I think the modmynav has everything I am looking for except the bluetooth streaming. The gateway you added takes care of that nicely! I already have bluetooth calling in my car and have the AUX so I'm good with that part(s). Plus the unit comes with rear view camera (if peurchased) so that will be perfect because I suck at backing up . I bought an ipod dock from a member up here but the only thing is I didn't do enough research and didn't realize it was for a pre lci and didn't fit my car...FAIL. If anyone wants it and don't mind waiting a bit (I'm in Afghanistan and will be back around September), they can have it for like $50 plus shipping or whatever. One question though, this is the reason why I will get a Ipone5 when I get back as I never had a iphone (don't laugh at me, droid is decent), do you manually put it in landscape mode so you can get the full screen or do you just simply rotate it and the screen mimicks it?
Old 06-13-2013, 06:28 AM
New Members

You do make some very valid points, thanks for posting them. I was doing a little more research and your post with your setup came up. I like your setup way better and it meets all of the things I want. I was looking at the carlinkx, the dension icon, and there was another one that I can't remember the name. My thoughts...eh. I think the modmynav has everything I am looking for except the bluetooth streaming. The gateway you added takes care of that nicely! I already have bluetooth calling in my car and have the AUX so I'm good with that part(s). Plus the unit comes with rear view camera (if peurchased) so that will be perfect because I suck at backing up . I bought an ipod dock from a member up here but the only thing is I didn't do enough research and didn't realize it was for a pre lci and didn't fit my car...FAIL. If anyone wants it and don't mind waiting a bit (I'm in Afghanistan and will be back around September), they can have it for like $50 plus shipping or whatever. One question though, this is the reason why I will get a Ipone5 when I get back as I never had a iphone (don't laugh at me, droid is decent), do you manually put it in landscape mode so you can get the full screen or do you just simply rotate it and the screen mimicks it?
I'll take the iPod dock off your hands
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM
New Members

Originally Posted by spediegunz

I think the ICON is a better suit to my 04 Pre-LCI Non Bluetooth CCC Professional.

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2013, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

Be very aware when using the iPhone 5 with the mmn requires more parts and work on your behalf I've done it only because I'm willing to go that far.

1. First and foremost using and phone with the mmn requires the phone to be capable of doing video out or mirroring if you want to see everything on your phone displayed on your cars screen.

2. If # 1 is true then you will need to buy a cable specific to your phone to send the video source out to a tv screen most modern phones sell this cable as a addon peripheral

3. If you have #2 remember the mmn only has analog inputs meaning red white and yellow some phones cables go straight from the connector on the phone ( weather it be mini/micro USB or 30pin connector ) right to an a/v out put end if this is your scenario then you are good go ahead and plug right into one of the mmn inputs. However a lot of recent phones are only doing digital outputs which mean the sell (mini/micro USB to hdmi cables or in the IPHONE 5's case lightning to hdmi cables. Since hdmi cannot be plugged into the mmn (maybe this will be so in a future version hint hint developers) you need to buy extra parts to get your digital iPhone to show on screen,

4. Here's the major draw back with the mmn not allowing digital inputs I had to buy a lightning to hdmi converter from apple android users will need to get a micro USB to hdmi cable , then I had to buy a hdmi to av converter and I also had to get some av cables to run from the converter to then mmv it's all kinda explained in this video (his car has something called a lock pick but its the same thing like mmn

If you aren't interested in all that work or exposed wiring I posted another thread about a device that lets you utilize apples airplay feature that gives you the same result but wireless it's called the kivic one I know since I posted about it they were in beta testing i don't know if the product is available for sale
https://5series.net/forums/e60-parts...ssible-129940/

5. Now to finally answer your question if you are willing to go all that far to get your iPhone 5 displayed on the screen as I was you want to know about portrait vs landscape modes. The springboard with the apps and icons is displayed on screen in portrait flipping or rotating the phone will not change anything about that. Now when you open certain apps if the developer of the app put in a video out feature once you open the app while your phone is mirroring to any screen( home tv or car or even with AirPlay ) it will automatically display in landscape. For example the YouTube app, vevo app Hulu, or slingplayer apps. Other apps don't have a video out feature built into the app like pandora, I heart radio xm app you will have no choice but to view those apps in portrait. And other apps will have the rotation feature built into to it like safari or the music player app.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:05 AM
Senior Members

I won't go into much detail because I don't know if can and mods if I say anything wrong go ahead and take it down but if you are like me and hate those black bars on the side on the screen and displayed in portrait mode then there are apps that can be downloaded in Cydia of a jail broken iPhone that can allow you to display your springboard in landscape and there are also apps that allow you to modify the shape and size of the screen, so for the apps that have to show in portrait like pandora expand the height and width and I also zoom in so I can make the portrait fill the entire screen and make it show the part where the album art is displayed with the title of the song so it's visible. Do your homework for more info on that part

Quick Reply: Introducing the all new dension bmw I-con drive