E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed Subwoofer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 07:34 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Motors4fun' post='448620' date='Jul 16 2007, 07:40 PM
Does anyone know what wires come from the head unit to the sub amp? Color and what not? I would rather use the RCA level then use a speaker level converter. My amp has a built in crossover so even if the head unit is sending full range sound my amp will cut it out and i can adjust it.

Thanks for any and all help
I don't believe the factory sound system has RCA level outputs. Basically, your two options would be:
a) run an aftermarket amp that has high-level (speaker-level) inputs
b) run a line-out converter (loc)

Here's the wiring diagram:
REMOTE: white/violet stripe
LEFT LINE-LEVEL NEGATIVE (-) black/violet stripe postive(+) black/red stripe
RIGHT LINE-LEVEL NEGATIVE (-) black/brown stripe postive(+) black/white stripe
LEFT SPEAKER-LEVEL OUTPUT from amp: negative(-) red/white stripe postive(+) brown/yellow stripe
RIGHT SPEAKER-LEVEL OUTPUT from amp: negative(-) red/blue stripe postive(+) brown/white stripe
POWER: big red wire
GROUND: big brown wire

Hope this helps.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Members

Right in your post is says line level. Now i am confused. does the head unit send a line level signal to the amp in the trunk or not?

[b]LEFT LINE-LEVEL NEGATIVE (-) black/violet stripe postive(+) black/red stripe
RIGHT LINE-LEVEL NEGATIVE (-) black/brown stripe postive(+) black/white stripe[/b]
LEFT SPEAKER-LEVEL OUTPUT from amp: negative(-) red/white stripe postive(+) brown/yellow stripe
RIGHT SPEAKER-LEVEL OUTPUT from amp: negative(-) red/blue stripe postive(+) brown/white stripe

Thank you for the help though.
Old 10-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Members

Originally Posted by FANTASTIC 5' post='448650' date='Jul 16 2007, 11:34 PM
I don't believe the factory sound system has RCA level outputs. Basically, your two options would be:
a) run an aftermarket amp that has high-level (speaker-level) inputs
b) run a line-out converter (loc)

Here's the wiring diagram:
LEFT LINE-LEVEL NEGATIVE (-) black/violet stripe postive(+) black/red stripe
RIGHT LINE-LEVEL NEGATIVE (-) black/brown stripe postive(+) black/white stripe

Hope this helps.
To be clear, is this the wiring info for a Logic7 equipped E60? I hate surprises when I'm trying to do an install.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

i have subs in my 530i....two 12's (polk audio) with a kicker amp with dynomat in the car
love to hear the system no problems...yet
only problem was rattling but i got it dynomatted and its a lot better
Old 11-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by misal1091' post='709838' date='Nov 1 2008, 10:18 PM
i have subs in my 530i....two 12's (polk audio) with a kicker amp with dynomat in the car
love to hear the system no problems...yet
only problem was rattling but i got it dynomatted and its a lot better

Im getting a full system redone a dash redone
im sealing off a Hertz HX300D in a sealed box custom and angled to fit the ski pass i will force feed all the base to the cabin 1000k using an Alpine MD1000
running CDT competition ES7 7" midbass, 4" and 2" tweeters on kickpannels wich are done already.

Using Alpine Vhub, Alpine PXA h701 processor , and Alpine TME 740BT touchscreen all fiberglassed in to the console.
Alpine F1 Status amplifier to run the comps and Helix HX 400 to run the midbass on the doors.

also installing Alpine DVA 5210 DVD which will be installed in the glove box for videos, cd etc. Alpine Balckbird navigation feeding in to the touchscreen
and a fully integrated Bluetooth so that i can receive and make calls going through the stereo system speakers.

i have tried different shops and all of them have screwed up the system, i have someone that has built demo cars putting this baby together. Once its done i will post pics.

Its not easy with so many components but i think the SQ on this system will be unreal.
Old 11-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='711173' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:42 PM
im sealing off a Hertz HX300D in a sealed box custom and angled to fit the ski pass i will force feed all the base to the cabin 1000k using an Alpine MD1000
running CDT competition ES7 7" midbass, 4" and 2" tweeters on kickpannels wich are done already.

Using Alpine Vhub, Alpine PXA h701 processor , and Alpine TME 740BT touchscreen all fiberglassed in to the console.
Alpine F1 Status amplifier to run the comps and Helix HX 400 to run the midbass on the doors.

also installing Alpine DVA 5210 DVD which will be installed in the glove box for videos, cd etc. Alpine Balckbird navigation feeding in to the touchscreen
and a fully integrated Bluetooth so that i can receive and make calls going through the stereo system speakers.

i have tried different shops and all of them have screwed up the system, i have someone that has built demo cars putting this baby together. Once its done i will post pics.

Its not easy with so many components but i think the SQ on this system will be unreal.

Lexus has gone above and beyond expectations with their Mark Levingston system, it is incredible, all it lacks is bass which coudl be fixed with the right sub and perhaps an ingeration processor.

BMW stereo sound still has a long way to go even the Logic 7 i think its horrible for a high performance vehicle. I beleive the price tag on the Logic 7 is incredible. for such poor quality sound.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Contributors

Yep, Logic 7 in the LCI is not great. But if you are in an area that allows for the "BMW Individual Stereo", well, that's just in a different league - absolutely awesome, certainly the best factory fit stereo I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars!
Old 11-03-2008, 01:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: '07 530i

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='711173' date='Nov 3 2008, 04:42 PM

dont forget dynamat! you will need it with all that bass
Old 11-03-2008, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by misal1091' post='711274' date='Nov 3 2008, 06:47 PM
dont forget dynamat! you will need it with all that bass

I already dynamated my trunk but it wont rattle the design is for the bass to push force through the ski pass no bass will cancel in to the trunk Im not blasting it to full 1k watts im building an SQ system therefore it will focus on sound quality.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 05 530i 87 325is 85 VW GTI

Originally Posted by Russ1974' post='711248' date='Nov 3 2008, 02:14 PM
Yep, Logic 7 in the LCI is not great. But if you are in an area that allows for the "BMW Individual Stereo", well, that's just in a different league - absolutely awesome, certainly the best factory fit stereo I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars!
I whole hartedly agree. The HK stereo on my old 89 range rover with a fosgate amp sounded better then this L7 stuff. Maybe its cause i had better hearing back then too. LOL

Quick Reply: Installed Subwoofer?