E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Installed a custom quad "magnaflow" exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 07:32 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Originally Posted by sweetnlowe60
Thanks man. I think I might have lost a bit of initial take off speed. I didnt
Notice but my fiancé said she felt it. Maybe it is the 80k mile service that needs to be done. Other than that... Looks great. But not a gas friendly as the stock set up.
that is one of the drawbacks of a bigger exhaust with more flow capability.....you may gain hp in the upper rpm range, but you may also lose low end torque. the back pressure from the stock exhaust actually helps you get more torque down low.
Old 04-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by turboawd
that is one of the drawbacks of a bigger exhaust with more flow capability.....you may gain hp in the upper rpm range, but you may also lose low end torque. the back pressure from the stock exhaust actually helps you get more torque down low.

Looks like your the only one thinking here

My setup maintains back pressure at all RPMs and still sounds beautiful.

Whats the secret ??

http://enderw88.wordpress.com/2009/1...istry-inserts/
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

You totally lost me with that link. Explain what the helll this is? As far as for my exhaust set up. I don't Want it lower In sound.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi (Titanium Grey/ Black interior) Debaged, L.e.d. light upgrade throughout. ACS roof spoiler. H&R sport sprigs, Angel eye upgrade, euro sticker, ,matte black grills.

Should a person get a the car tuned after an exhaust set up?
Old 04-28-2011, 07:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

You totally lost me with that link. Explain what the helll this is? As far as for my exhaust set up. I don't Want it lower In sound.
At least I am not alone.
Old 04-29-2011, 04:16 AM
Contributors

Its an exhaust insert and something even the major exhaust shops dont know about. The beauty of this is it gives you backpressure at low rpms but is free flow on high rpms (magic right) Thats why its used on Track.

The reduction on sound is minimal, around 4db (If you know 4db is NOTHING -- but at low rpms 4db is still something since you have less decibles to begin with)

In a custom magnaflow without the inserts you will hear a poppling sound when you let go of your peddle (due to the X pipe design), that sounds like an empty tin can being hit by a pebble (Very cheap IMHO)
Throw the insert in and see how it sounds --- Supercool -- the tin sound is no longer there and it gets more muffled.

You have a variety of models for the insert -- Like a single ring, double ring, or tripple ring. And yes it comes in various pipping sizes 2,2.25,2.50.

You take one of these inserts and place it as close to the muffler tips as possible.

You will know what I am talking about right away when you throw this little angel in.

PS : Dont try to be a genius and use the silver inserts(shown in the picture), just install the black one in the picture and your good.

If someone tells me that you loose 15% of the magnaflow fun by throwing this in, I will agree but In return will say that the 15% is now going towards adding backpressure.

For all those who are doing a custom quad on a turbocharged engine -- Stay away for this, also I dont believe a V8 needs this -- Its only for the Inline 6.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Contributors

Ok RacerBoss, Ive checked it out and looks good. I need to fix the back pressure issue so what should i get and where? I have a dual set up, so do i need 2 of them? And how many rings? 1,2,3,? Give me the rundown. I just want my car to have the "off the line" pick up like before, with the new magnaflow sound..
Old 04-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

Ok RacerBoss, Ive checked it out and looks good. I need to fix the back pressure issue so what should i get and where? I have a dual set up, so do i need 2 of them? And how many rings? 1,2,3,? Give me the rundown. I just want my car to have the "off the line" pick up like before, with the new magnaflow sound..
get the three ring, and you can modify it if need be.....remove a ring or two. but i see only a 3" diameter version on that site.
Old 04-30-2011, 04:47 AM
Contributors

Me too
Old 05-01-2011, 06:30 PM
Contributors

Well, I have 3 rings on my setup and I love it. Like I said it will tweak the sound a little bit but I love how it is (Its sounds more professional, let me put it that way). It would surely add the low rpm back-pressure your looking for.
There are 2 things here

1. I dont know how the 2 rings or 1 ring setup would work but like I said I am very happy with my 3 ring setup -- Just to try you could do the 2 rings if you want
2. Its not kind of a plug and play deal with the rings -- This thing would have to be welded into the tip of your pipe before you connect your tips so the only way you will be able to remove a ring would be to probably cut the pipe off a little.
If you know what I mean.

I got my stuff from Jeggs

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...xhaust+inserts

I called them up and spoke to them regarding this product - Like always I ask the rep a few questions I know the answer to, to grade the reps knowledge and later ask him about the real stuff.
That way you know your not talking to an idiot and you don't make all your assumptions on someone who is talking in the air.

Quick Reply: Installed a custom quad "magnaflow" exhaust